MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just had the HGF fixed and cambelts changed, I have a couple of 'new noises' which are starting to annoy....

1) Theres a high pitched noise that increases volume/frequency with speed, mostly audible in 2nd and 3rd gear. Would this just be the belts weaing in do you think?

2) Theres a low rumble coming from over my left shoulder when manouvering and first pulling away. Its a very physical rattling noise, almost like the engine isn't bolted in properly!! Would they have had to remove the T bar or anyhting like that in the service do you think?

Am hoping to take the afternoon off and enjoy some sunshine with the hood down....

cheers all

mikef

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Having just had the HGF fixed and cambelts changed, I have a couple of 'new noises' which are starting to annoy....

1) Theres a high pitched noise that increases volume/frequency with speed, mostly audible in 2nd and 3rd gear. Would this just be the belts weaing in do you think?

2) Theres a low rumble coming from over my left shoulder when manouvering and first pulling away. Its a very physical rattling noise, almost like the engine isn't bolted in properly!! Would they have had to remove the T bar or anyhting like that in the service do you think?

Am hoping to take the afternoon off and enjoy some sunshine with the hood down....

cheers all

mikef
Not to worry you, but to change the cambelt they would have had to unbolt the engine mount :err:

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You sure its not just the alternator. As the cambelt is toothed, I didn't think it would squeal?
Not sure Broon, to be honest. I just assumed belts as they had been changed and its a new noise....its quite an annoying one too.

Will go and rattle a few things later if I get the afternoon off

cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Mike, i've just had my cambelt changed and theres no low rumbles or high pitched noises.
Tho there is a very annoying ticking, you'd swear was a clock i hear when the drivers windows down and for about a minute ater the engines turned off.
Hope your probs nothing serious...and is soon sorted.
Cj

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
If the cam belt is too tight it will whine. A good indication is if it gets worse as the engine gets hot. Recheck the tension.

·
Registered
52 Posts
mikef[/quote]

If the cam belt is too tight it will whine. A good indication is if it gets worse as the engine gets hot. Recheck the tension.
That's exactly what is happening to mine - how do I loosen it - I am not really mechanically minded! The mechanic told me the noise would 'wear off'!

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
The noise won't wear off. Belts don't stretch to any significant extent and the teeth don't wear in the short term.

I would not attempt to slacken the belt off unless you know what you are doing. Getting it wrong could be a disaster!

With the belt cover removed -

Turn the engine clockwise to the setting point.

Slacken off the tensioner fixings then retension using the built in pointer (auto tensioner) or using the disposable spring (manual tensioner). Or at a pinch, recension until you can twist the longers run through 90 deg with only moderate finger pressure.

Tighten up the fixings and replace the cover.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The noise won't wear off. Belts don't stretch to any significant extent and the teeth don't wear in the short term.

I would not attempt to slacken the belt off unless you know what you are doing. Getting it wrong could be a disaster!

With the belt cover removed -

Turn the engine clockwise to the setting point.

Slacken off the tensioner fixings then retension using the built in pointer (auto tensioner) or using the disposable spring (manual tensioner). Or at a pinch, recension until you can twist the longers run through 90 deg with only moderate finger pressure.

Tighten up the fixings and replace the cover.
I'll take the car back to the garage then. No new belt required i take it?

·
Registered
mg_tf
142 Posts
My wife's TF whined after cam belt change, belt was too tight. The garage should be able to re-adjust it by removing o/s wheel and accessing cover through wheel arch. Re knocking over your left shoulder.... Check to see if they have secured the 'stiffening struts' properly. These are bolted up with engine bay hatch.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Purely out of interest, why does it whine when hot?

I can see how fan belts whine, but not a toothed belt which is tight?

Remember I am a retard, so easy terms please :lol:

Is it the other components that whine as the tight belt is putting pressure on them or is it the belt itself?

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just took the long way home, and the whine is a lot more noticable around 5000 rpm or so. Very high pitched compared to the engine noise.

cheers all

·
Registered
mg_tf
390 Posts
Take it back quick, before its to late. Could be waterpump, Cambelt
tensioner. In any case a belt thats too tight will eventually break or
your bearings in the waterpump, tensioner will go. Did they put a new
tensioner & waterpump in when they changed the belt ? or did you
think you could save money by not doing so? Golden rule, if you have
a problem with any of there three (waterpump, Cambelt,Cambelt tensioner)
you allways change all of them.
regards
trevor

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Mmm, I have had a squeal since i changed my pump etc, but is only at low revs and only when weather is damp and cold, so I presume its just my alternator belt which I had to remove.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take it back quick, before its to late. Could be waterpump, Cambelt
tensioner. In any case a belt thats too tight will eventually break or
your bearings in the waterpump, tensioner will go. Did they put a new
tensioner & waterpump in when they changed the belt ? or did you
think you could save money by not doing so? Golden rule, if you have
a problem with any of there three (waterpump, Cambelt,Cambelt tensioner)
you allways change all of them.
regards
trevor
New waterpump yes....they didnt change the tensioners as they "checked and didnt need new ones"....

mikef

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
difficult to check a tensioner if it is starting to run dry of grease it will still feel fine but will fail in a few thousand miles I had a lancia with a balancer shaft tensioner bearing that disintegrated felt fine a few months previous but it spat all its balls out caused the timing belt to jump teeth and bent 8 valves had the car ran for a few more miles it would have snapped the cam belt causing even more disaterous damage. cost about £800 to sort if i remember right (doing most of it myeslf) and if you think working on a TF is tight/difficult just try a lancia 16 valve turbo cost to replace the offending bearing at the belt change? would have been about £15 there is the moral of the story

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Based on the above, I'll be taking her back in...tho am tempted to say 'blow it' and take her up to techspeed for a day because trust them...

Its a shame I dont know anyone close by who could have a listen and give me a second opinion

mikef

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Purely out of interest, why does it whine when hot?

I can see how fan belts whine, but not a toothed belt which is tight?

Remember I am a retard, so easy terms please :lol:

Is it the other components that whine as the tight belt is putting pressure on them or is it the belt itself?
The whine is actually the tensioner bearings :yikes:

Whereas a fan belt squeels from slipping on the pulleys

1 - 20 of 40 Posts