MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of the "scene-setting" for yesterday's F1 qualifying, ITV showed, among other things, lots of girls in bikinis (any excuse!) and an apparently "vintage" MG.

It resembled a Panther Kallista, it was quite big, probably of a size to seat four. At the front, its grille looked like an original TF and there was an octagonal radiator badge marked "MP", I think.

It didn't look like it was a real pre-war MG. Any ideas?

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris T said:
yes, could be. Looks like I've got the production dates of the original TF wrong if it is a 1950s car.

There's a green one there which looks very like the colour of the one on TV (which I think was an Italian - non-Euro - reg.). I could have sworn the one on the telly was bigger but otherwise, yes, it looked like a TF at the front (except for the badge)...

Thanks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
There was a Brazillian (I think) 'replica' (very loose, almost a pastiche) of a TF (or maybe a TD) made during the 80s, with a kindof Kallista/Lima style.

I'm embarrassed I can't remember what it was called (it might not even have been Brazillian), but it was in a couple of Daily Express World Car Guides from the early 80s.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

It's not the "NG" - :) great name, did they make an "NBG" too? ;) - as you can't see the badge.

The badge on this car I saw clearly said "MP" - with the "P" looking a bit like a flag.

I'd google for it, but I don't know what for! :(

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
There's also a company in Malaysia that claims to have acquired the original tooling for the TD, wheter its true or not, they still make a pretty good looking copy. Forget what their name is, but there is a website around somewhere.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Londonbabe said:
It would be an MP Lafer - Dan was on the right track.
This is a loose MG copy built on a VW Beetle floorpan, complete with flat four engine in the boot!

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-43726470-_JM
Yep that's it! Based on the famous rear-engined VW Beetle ("Käfer"), I notice, rather than the modern front-engined "New Beetle"

It looked much bigger than an old Beetle. Must have been the camera angle.

I would never have guessed it was rear-engined though!

I love the boutros boutros e-bay...(no offence to our many Portuguese-speaking friends! ;) )

Who would have thought that a rear-engined, Beetle-based, Brazilian-made sort of MG replica would come to symbolise Monaco for ITV? Ah well, that's television I guess...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts