MG-Rover.org Forums banner

what is wrong with the mg6 and what saic are doing??

16K views 90 replies 36 participants last post by  clockwork.satan 
#1 ·
just thought i would see what people think is wrong with the mg6 and if they think saic's stratagy for the company is the right way to go.
personally i can't see anything i dislike about the mg6. the only thing that bugs me is the time between it going on sale here compared with china ,
by the time we get them in the dealers it will have been nearly a year since it will have been on sale in china.
as for saic and thier stratagy ,it seems to me that they being very thorough.
the only problem i can see is the n-series is not as efficient as newer engines .are they developing a replacement??

#2 · (Edited)
It was obvious they were going to get their own country in order first. It gives them a chance to get established as MG wasn't known over there and it also gives them important sales to make some money for entry into other markets and further developments.

I think they will have all sorts of things in development.

#11 ·
it needs a diesel engine with at least... 180bhp? :dunno:

then I'll be happy :D
Benny is on it there.

They should have let a Brit or an Italian design it.

Big alloys

However, the MG badge still carrys kudos, so they have something to work with. And it was good to hear that the steering is hydraulic and not electric. Seat lent me a new Leon and that had electric power steering. Wasnt a bad handling car, but it did feel odd and a bit numb. For the sake of a few % energy saving its not worth it imho.

#4 ·
just thought i would see what people think is wrong with the mg6
This is my opinion, cut me down all you like but having reviewed the available photos of it more times than my eyes can take and this is what I think is the main problem with the MG6:

It's ugly as hell.

Seriously.

The front end isn't too bad but look at the rest of it. Friday afternoon design at its finest.

The back end looks like they just couldn't be bothered. It looks like they tweaked the back end of the old ugly Toyota Corrolla and said "That'll have to do". It'll certainly blend into the background, there's no doubt about that. It'll drive past and I doubt I'll even notice it other than to shake my head every time one goes past.

MG's are supposed to have some road presence.

This thing wont have any at all and I was hopeing for something a little more in keeping with the MG badge.

This creation should be wearing the badge of a cheap far east manufacturer like Proton, not dragging the MG badge down to that level.

If this is all they can come up with then it's a real shame. I'd wager if you gave a chimp a pencil for a few hours it could come up with a design that better suited the history of the badge.

There you have it. Shoot me down all you like but that's the main thing I think is wrong with the MG6.

#5 ·
There's nothing wrong with the MG6 except that it just feels off the pace in a few areas.

For example the interior looks well designed but some of the plastics and the execution of a couple of things just aren't quite right. It's like they have got the interior to be one step up from a Ssangyong but 1 step behind a Vauxhall.

With the exterior the design is OK but for many MG fans's it's too like a Nissan Primera. There's not enough presence.

To be truthfull I see it as a fantastic first effort, but I'd struggle to really want one over a Honda for example.

#6 ·
I find it amusing all the people saying they don't like the look of the MG6 because it looks like a Nissan/Proton etc. Especially the ones who own a ZS which is EXACTLY THE SAME as the old old old Civic! Go figure! I don't think anyone could argue that the 400 was particularly nice even at launch and just fell further off the pace over the years. And yet here we are.

#7 ·
Bearing in mind that the new MGs have been designed/engineered by pretty much the same people who designed the 25/ZR, 45/ZS, 75/ZT and F/TF and who were or would have been working on replacements for those cars when MGR went under, I think it is reasonable to assume that this car is RDX60 or at least a follow on from that design program and is broadly the same car that would have appeared had MGR not gone bust.

I therefore find it difficult to understand why so many people, who 5 years ago were working themselves into a lather of excitement about the design proposals for RDX60 which were emerging from the defunct Longbridge, are now being so very negative about the MG6.

To have a future, MG Motor have to appeal to the mainstream, and whilst that may not be to the liking of those who are still trapped in the time warp of MG being purely sports cars, I am afraid that an out and out sporty range of cars would not have a wide enough range of appeal to be viable. MG isn't a Porsche or (dare I say it?) BMW. MG isn't even an Alfa Romeo. They need mainstream cars first and foremost, and all the negative comments comparing it to other mainstream cars indicate to me that the design team have probably got it about right.

#14 ·
I therefore find it difficult to understand why so many people, who 5 years ago were working themselves into a lather of excitement about the design proposals for RDX60 which were emerging from the defunct Longbridge, are now being so very negative about the MG6.
Thats probably the point! The MG6 is probably close to the car design that we all expected RD60 to be in 2002/3/4/5 or whatever year we all deluded ourselves in believing it would be launched.

It's now 2010 and will be 2011 when this car finally get's on UK roads. Like pretty much every car to come out of Rover/Austin etc in the last 40 years, it's already about 5-8 years off pace before it even gets started.

Had I seen the MG6 in 2002, chances are I would have been at the front of the queue. Not so in 2011 when there are other choices...

#8 ·
Haven't heard about the K*cough*N-series being uprated in the head department, has anyone?

Toyota used the design of the K series ( partly ) but on some models gave it fully electronically variable valve timing with lift control ( vvtl-i )

A nice shiny new head with all the trimmings to smoothen out and power up the engine in the low revs would be nice ( seems they went the turbo route instead )

With the turbo charger they are using in addition it could make a massively sporty car no?

Maybe I'm just hoping deep down that MG will get back into touring cars and blast the field away :D

#9 ·
It is what it is.. a good base for building a business. Its a good looking car, has a well known badge and will be competitivly priced. Instead of marketing the car to compete with BMW and Ford if they aim for the guys with slightly less money they are sure to build up a good buyer base.

The most important thing now is for them to keep in the game!

And get rid of that Engine in favour of one with a new image!

#22 ·
If the market sector SAIC are aiming for is Kia, then it's a pretty good attempt. If it's Ford, then they're a bit off the pace. If it's luxury market then they're miles away. If it's sports then let's not go there.

It looks just about OK, from the reports it drives OK, so probably is OK. But unless the price is cheap, OK isn't good enough. And unforunately the last of the MG cache as a brand will go quickly if OK bland family saloons is all SAIC can manage.

#23 ·
Some of you lot aint half moaning sods.
The 200/25/ZR was a chop up of a Honda Concerto, the 400/45/ZS was a Honda Domani and to some the 75 was too old and retro even when it was launched.

MG Rover when looking to replace the 45 were coming up with awful designs (Look at the TWR era stuff !) and anything after that was just sketches. I don't think even if they had managed to launch the car that it would have been anywhere as good as the current offerings from SAIC.

MG hasn't really been a sports car brand for a long time, there were much more powerful cars in the class when the Zed's were around. Current sporting BMW and Audi's are as fast as Ferrari's and I don't think MG will ever compete with that.

As far as car design goes big wing spoilers and plastic arches are seen as old hat and too boy racerish these days. The only reason the Zed's had lairy bodykits was to cover up some of the outdated metal underneath.

I am 100% behind and I am very pleased with what SAIC has done so far with the company that nobody else had any interest in. If it wasn't for them there would be no MG now and in a few years to most people it would be a very distant memory.

#26 ·
i like the mg6 tbh though from the rear it has 3 series bm all over it :(

lower it about 40mm, some 17 or 18" alloys with low profile tires and some funky exhausts (like honda did with the new civic R perhaps something different)

body kit more aggressive front and back bumpers to square things off and it'll look very sporty tbh.

though i do think it really needs a large block v6 or ideally a v8 4 pot power delivery is far too rough and the turbo just makes it messier for an exec cruiser needs to have more cylinders

#27 ·
I'll never buy a new car, but maybe in 5 years time I'll buy an MG6 when they they are nice and cheap - after all, the price does tend to drop off quite quickly after the company goes bust, which is a big possibility lmao :lol:

I like the look of it well enough, it's design seems broadly in line with the other cars in it's class. For me it will be all about the diesel engine, and the interior build quality - both areas which have a bit of a question mark over them at the moment.

Time will tell.

#36 ·
And still the best selling!

The only problem I have with it is I think it looks ugly, bland interior, even 18" wheels look out of proportion (too small) and they need to sort out better engines. It's mainly the appearance I don't like - the front end reminds me of an insect - the headlights being the eyes:lol:. I think the Chinese have had too much influence on the design front but obviously they want it to appeal to their own market.

It's a decent first effort. If it's well specced/priced and drives well I don't think there'll be many complaints.

#33 ·
The only problem I have with it is I think it looks ugly, bland interior, even 18" wheels look out of proportion (too small) and they need to sort out better engines. It's mainly the appearance I don't like - the front end reminds me of an insect - the headlights being the eyes:lol:. I think the Chinese have had too much influence on the design front but obviously they want it to appeal to their own market.

It's a decent first effort. If it's well specced/priced and drives well I don't think there'll be many complaints.

#44 ·
Quite!

I can't see how anyone can state that it's ugly having not seen it in the "flesh" as it were let alone driven it.
I know it's got some British content but can we give this one a chance?
at least on here please?
Lets not condemn it before it is actually built and running etc.
Like the British, especially the English seem to do from time to time.......
like all the time.
Just a thought, probably me and my ranting, tiresome, misplaced loyalty again though eh?

#49 ·
I think I'll second what an earlier poster said:

MG has never really had a clear cut image. They've basically produced a plethora of cars from sportscars, to badge engineered saloons since the day they were formed.

In that respect, whilst people recognise the iconic cars like the MG B/GT, arguaably, in order for the MG Motors to survive and grow they now have to really define an image to move forward with. This cannot rely on the past as they need to create a degree of volume sales and MG is not known for this.

Nor is MG a strong enough brand to simply stick to low volume high-prices which they would need if they remain a niche player.

MG is clearly going to be used as a manistream brand in the UK and Europe, with some sportscars dotted amongst the range, some people may look at this as a negative thing, but I think it's an opportunity to shed some of the shackles of the brands history and build MG to be a name people will consider whether your looking for an A/B/C/D segment purchase.

This is partly why I have been disappointed to see the MG6 which I do not feel has a strong identity. I didnt expect it to be a lairy-in-your-face grunter, but I did expect to be able to see it from more than 100ft away and know what it was.

#50 ·
some here should be ashamed

we should be applauding it an the efforts the chinese company have made when our own including Gordon Bennet (sorry Brown) have given up on anything produced here, with roots here (i don't mean Nissan factories etc)

They have made i think a great looking car, and i for one would choose it over ford/vauxhall/vw etc, and i hope many do.

after all it has that MG badge and thats what we want to see lots of.

so lets see a bit of support, and maybe with good sales of general models they may see the market for the more extreme machines.

just thankthem that they want a market here and are willing to put money when we don't.

i think looks superb, and interior talk of plastics...how many cars have you been inside without plastic, any? no.
most cars unless you have a Bentley or something will have an interior befitting the cost of the car, vauxhall not exactly inspiring, nor is Ford, Renault, VW the list goes on.
from what i can see the interior looks great.

so give it a chance and put support behind the venture and with success may come more investment, a bigger Longbridge and more models.

Steve

#52 ·
1) "A common complaint has been the gearbox. The "Motor" magazine's own test car had to have a new one after 2000 miles - and that was before the fan disintegrated, the wheel bearings went, and the boot lock fell out".

(Sorry - that was the TR7. http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=358850 )

2) The real question we should be asking ourself is - what's wrong with this forum and what "fans" are posting about the dashboard plastics on a car they've never seen which got a great review in Autocar?

#56 ·
From what I've seen (and still haven't seen it in the metal), it looks good. The interior is the bit that from the photos I've seen, they've perhaps fumbled the ball slightly, but not dropped it! But I'll reserve full judgement for when I see one in the metal.

As far as I know, we have not seen a UK spec car yet either.

Lastly, as for 200+bhp versions, I doubt we'll see them in this generation. They are by their definition niche cars, the volume is in the other variations, which is why they will be lower down on the list of priorities. Although I admit, they may well be the models that get people into the showrooms.

But hey, lets just get the brand back in production with a range of cars and then think about hardcore versions!

And with no Rover counterparts, the MG brand will stretch a bit further to cover more 'fluffy' specifications as well as the sporty setups. Again, perhaps not with MG6, but I can imagine in time we'll end up with a luxury version and a sports upgrade / version which firms the ride up and focuses more on the attributes of the MG Zeds rather than the Rover versions of the same cars.

#57 ·
i also feel that a high performance version is unlikely. why?? quite simply cost.
as peugeot pointed out this week the only two major markets for high performance hatches are the uk and germany.
with mg having to start again from scratch and now being a mass market brand with the uk as a very small percentage of mg's possible market, i reckon with sales of a hot version in small four figure amounts annually . the cost of devolping a high performnce model can't be covered.
i also have a suspicion anything bigger than a four cylinder engine doesn't fit either.(although i may be wrong ).
personally the mg6 seems like a good start , priced like an octavia it will sell, my only fear is the emissions question , they need to get it lower and improve the mpg a little. give it a 5 year warranty though.
i look forward to the next gen car , now that should be good as they will then have the knowledge of whats needed.
as a first attempt the mg6 is good, look how long it has taken the hyundai/kia to get where they are now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.