MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is wrong with this Country!!!!???

Has someone flicked the self destruct switch over the past few years? We have the press kicking MG-R whilst they are at their most vulnerable, with no respect whatsoever for the feelings of the loyal workforce. We have the PM, the Police and our Royalty who are ashamed to be seen in anything British made or owned.

And now we are as good as getting the public and the media cheering on the bulldozers at Longbridge's gate. WTF is going on!? Has this Country really lost it?

100 years of car production is on the verge on ending here and people just don't care (members on the forum exlcuded of course)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
I wish I knew what had happened, I really do. It's hard to believe that this is the same country that fought in two world wars and endured such hardship.

Travelling in rural Vermont, it seems that as I drive through the small towns, every third house or so has a US flag outside. Every classroom has a flag. It isn't 'jingoism', whatever that is supposed to mean, it's just a simple pride in one's country, in a shared identity. To these people, their country is the greatest in the world, and they are proud of it?

And yet Britain? We simply lay here supine, flagellating ourselves at every opportunity, knocking anything which dares to identify itself as British whilst lauding imported items that in years gone by would have simply not been considered.

It sickens and depresses me in equal measure right to the very core of my being.

BrianR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
I totally feel the same Baz, I cant get my head around it.

Like a week ago I was reading the News of the World? Car section, and some bloke was saying that Some company in Germany bought x amount of MG ZRs because they are perfect for training learner racing drivers with their sharp handling and decent power.

But this British Bloke in the paper?

"But If you ask me they have really wasted their money, the Clio Sport is just as good if not better and is £1000 cheaper" :shake: <- And the door trims fall off.

What is it with these ********s! Its their own countrymen for £*$" sake! :mad: :cus:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
Englander said:
But this British Bloke in the paper?

"But If you ask me they have really wasted their money, the Clio Sport is just as good if not better and is £1000 cheaper" :shake:
For my sins, which must have been many and grievous, I own a Renault Megane.

Total piece of c**p. I only keep it because it was my late father's. The reliability, or lack thereof, is beyond a joke.

This year, the bolt retaining the cambelt idler pulley just sheared off, for no apparent reason. This threw the cambelt, and lunched all 16 valves. No change from £2000 by the time it was fixed - it's just terrible to work on.

But it's foreign, so it must be good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
It is unfortunate that the Union and St Georges flags are often associated with football hooligans and the BNP.

Something has got to be done to restore our national pride, and the bulldog spirit.

We have to hang on to our industry or we will all end up pushing paper or serving fries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,462 Posts
Only thing we are patriotic about is the bloody football, lol I remember on the news when we played Argentina in the 2002 cup, how many million phoned into work sick, & for those who were in work they erected screens to watch. Now how can a country so Pro ENGLAND ( yes scotland wales & ireland inc ) be so ANTI British ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
StreetBoy said:
So true. You cant even fly a st georges flag without being called a racist
thats such a true statement!

aside from that, I really cant blame anyone else for the downfall of MG other than the people who run the company. Crap media management, crap business tactics and rover HAVE made some bad mistakes. (cough "city rover" cough).

We are a great country, why have all our automobile companies been take over or gone bust?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This Country has got too soft for its own good IMO. Our Government takes too much time trying to appease other bodies, rather than thinking of the County's long term future. Then again it doesn't help when you have an ignorant public who supports them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I just bought my first car at 29, a 1994 Rover 214si. I'm kind of hooked on the brand, it's a shame to think that a couple of years down the line when I sort out my finances I won't be able to get a nice brand spanking new Rover. And if I the MG marque is still around, (will be, carries more prestige), you can bet your bottom dollar Ford will buy it. The American corps are like a cancer, syphoning the profits out of any country they set up in.

But that's big business for you. The "top men" at MG Rover will be walking off with a "few" million each as well. They've got a cheek.

What we need is laws in place that would stop the directors & boards of these companies being able to pocket millions from companies that they are killing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mackinnon said:
But that's big business for you. The "top men" at MG Rover will be walking off with a "few" million each as well. They've got a cheek.
I would sincerely hope that the P4 will have invested that back into what is left of the business. It would only be right, at least to soften the blow...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
This Country has got too soft for its own good IMO. Our Government takes too much time trying to appease other bodies, rather than thinking of the County's long term future. Then again it doesn't help when you have an ignorant public who supports them...
Well said, we are really too soft as a country, I used to live in Australia for a while and when I came back to the UK I was shocked how soft we are as a nation, our PM rolls over and plays 'good boy' like some sap of a lapdog for America and we let Immigration zap our resources, although I'm all for fairness in let all people live and work how they wish we just need to toughen up a bit and start protecting our interests, Australia do it really well they are tough on borders and strong on their own identity.

p.s.
Petrol prices are the highest today that they have ever ever been in the UK.
perhaps MG could come up with a new form of car that runs on water hehe, oh well there is hope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,994 Posts
Its political correctness.

If the Government buy MGR products, they will be seen as siding with the Brits and thus not supporting our multi-national, multi-cultural society.

Its political correctness gone mad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I say **** it off. They are in OUR country now and they live by OUR rules, we shouldn't have to change for them, all thus bull is annoying. I ain't racist, nor do I want to be. But when we have to make sacrifices because of the lightweight ponces we have in Government, it makes me bloody fuming.

Don't get me wrong, if a person who wants to live in this Country, its fine by me. As long as they are able to benefit this Country with their knowledge and expertise. We have enough people on benefits as it is in this Country without injecting even more in from some flar flung place on the planet.

Equal rights? How ironic...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
United states of Europe

So the St George's cross is racist, union jack isn't liked either - let's reinstate the old British flag - the blue one with the old Fleur de lys pattern. Sod Europe let's stick with our true friends - the Commonwealth first (we didn't stand alone in 1940..) and the USA.

The PC culture has a lot to answer for I believe 'racist' has now become the modern version of America 'Commies' of the 1950s and the witch hunts which meant anybody you wanted out of your way politically just need the finger pointing at them and their career in that field was history. This whole business (and it is a big industry now) has gotten way way out of hand, can't help think it would all be much easier without the quangoes and their ****stirring. Police forces etc can't buy Rover as they would be seen by any minorities as isolating themselves and being jingolistic? So driving Jaguars and BMWs as my local police force now do isn't going to make anyone feel isolated? I bloody well do when I have to walk anyway with packs of teenagers on the streets and not a copper on foot in sight. It has become a matter of pride not to buy anything British, led ably by our 'right on' Judges,MPs, the BBC and various other lovies their views be they on race,sex or whatever have become almost our guidelines and and most people are too stupid to think for themselves anyway. Then the EU have their oar firmly in our business - our government can't help Rover (but will have to 'help' their ex employees to the tune of (I'm guessing) at least £40,000,000 next year at least in benefits to keep them in homes etc if it all does go tits up) We have handed out huge amounts to encourage the Foreign car manufacturers here (most higher than ever planned following hissy fits and threats of last minute 'changes of plan) - the ones who are now very vocal about not doing so for Rover, the only difference of course being that they've always been here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
I don't get it. Loads of people are saying to me why should the goverment spend £100 million of the tax payers money on a dying British company that's been shafted left right and center and save the livelyhood of many thousands of people? Yet they don't mind the goverment spending well in excess of that amount for a couple of Jet fighters?:banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Save your anger for the media...

Reading a few of these posts I can understand there's a lot of anger out there, but rather than go off at tangents ranting about immigrants & the union jack etc. can't we make this constructive?

We all realise that far from "jingoism" etc MG Rover cars are GENUINELY GOOD. fair enough the cars in the 80s were a little off, but the modern ones are great. Practical, cheap to run & fun (well, the fast ones)...

BUT

The f***ing press keep ridiculing them, why? because they're BMW driving t***ers, I'm training to be a journo & I'm SICK of the obvious editorial bias in a lot of newspapers & especially TV programmes, I don't have to name names, but I will, TOP GEAR is the biggest load of c**p I've seen, has anyone EVER seen a BMW get a bad review?

What's more, I know why this is... BMWs marketing dept say "slag off the new 7 series & we don't let you near the new Z, & we'll have our M3 long term test car back too" I heard it from the horses mouth...

What we need to do is remind the London grease-monkeys that they have a DUTY to be honest, I think if Auto-Express, BBC, NOTW & the SUN started getting thousands of letters & emails saying we will NOT buy their magazines/ watch their programmes, then start telling their ADVERTISERS the same thing, it might change their opinions.

what I have to admit however, is that, sad though it is, Britain just can't run these big businesses.

Brits, it appears, are incapable of turning a profit through heavy industry... (though the Germans only do by their government subsidising German steel), if you look at almost all our big industrial companies they are foreign owned & run... Nissan, Honda etc etc. Even Rolls Royce.


The French can (Renault), The Germans... well.... Even the ITALIANS can keep Ferrari going! Malaysia, Korea, JAPAN etc etc... all these countries take PRIDE in their industrial, especially car-building, success.

The brits design & engineer some of the best cars in the world, McLaren F1, Jags, Astons, almost all F1 cars, WRC cars etc etc Why do our businessmen let us down SO badly? Especially when we have such MASSIVE financial institutions.

Also, It seems the only big British companies that can attract capital investment from British Banks either make guns or chemicals... Why is this? I think a course of letters to our banks/ building societies is in order too.

As for the biggest problem, the British car-buying public, well, we can't change them.... they will still happily put an "England" football sticker on a BMW with no idea of irony.

We have no national pride, successive governments selling our industry to the germans & americans have seen to that...

But this time I don't think we should let go quietly, I for one am SICK of being told I can't be proud of my country and I'm SICK of being told that BMWs are SOOOOO good when they're clearly overpriced.

I'm even more SICK of seeing our media laughing at British products until the companies get bought by German/ US/ Japanese companies... then the SAME PRODUCTS are vaunted as being great...

We need to change this.
 

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
burnmega said:
Reading a few of these posts I can understand there's a lot of anger out there, but rather than go off at tangents ranting about immigrants & the union jack etc. can't we make this constructive?

We all realise that far from "jingoism" etc MG Rover cars are GENUINELY GOOD. fair enough the cars in the 80s were a little off, but the modern ones are great. Practical, cheap to run & fun (well, the fast ones)...

BUT

The f***ing press keep ridiculing them, why? because they're BMW driving t***ers, I'm training to be a journo & I'm SICK of the obvious editorial bias in a lot of newspapers & especially TV programmes, I don't have to name names, but I will, TOP GEAR is the biggest load of c**p I've seen, has anyone EVER seen a BMW get a bad review?

What's more, I know why this is... BMWs marketing dept say "slag off the new 7 series & we don't let you near the new Z, & we'll have our M3 long term test car back too" I heard it from the horses mouth...

What we need to do is remind the London grease-monkeys that they have a DUTY to be honest, I think if Auto-Express, BBC, NOTW & the SUN started getting thousands of letters & emails saying we will NOT buy their magazines/ watch their programmes, then start telling their ADVERTISERS the same thing, it might change their opinions.

what I have to admit however, is that, sad though it is, Britain just can't run these big businesses.

Brits, it appears, are incapable of turning a profit through heavy industry... (though the Germans only do by their government subsidising German steel), if you look at almost all our big industrial companies they are foreign owned & run... Nissan, Honda etc etc. Even Rolls Royce.


The French can (Renault), The Germans... well.... Even the ITALIANS can keep Ferrari going! Malaysia, Korea, JAPAN etc etc... all these countries take PRIDE in their industrial, especially car-building, success.

The brits design & engineer some of the best cars in the world, McLaren F1, Jags, Astons, almost all F1 cars, WRC cars etc etc Why do our businessmen let us down SO badly? Especially when we have such MASSIVE financial institutions.

Also, It seems the only big British companies that can attract capital investment from British Banks either make guns or chemicals... Why is this? I think a course of letters to our banks/ building societies is in order too.

As for the biggest problem, the British car-buying public, well, we can't change them.... they will still happily put an "England" football sticker on a BMW with no idea of irony.

We have no national pride, successive governments selling our industry to the germans & americans have seen to that...

But this time I don't think we should let go quietly, I for one am SICK of being told I can't be proud of my country and I'm SICK of being told that BMWs are SOOOOO good when they're clearly overpriced.

I'm even more SICK of seeing our media laughing at British products until the companies get bought by German/ US/ Japanese companies... then the SAME PRODUCTS are vaunted as being great...

We need to change this.
I must point out that Rolls Royce Cars are owned by BMW, but Rolls Royce plc is very much British, listed on the London Stock Exchange, headquartered in the UK and another company which shouldn't have made it this far, having a similair life story to MGR, went into admin in 1971 and had to be nationalised (for a mixture of reasons, defence procurement, heritage, jobs etc) but today is a real success story, launch engine supplier for the Airbus A380.

There's hope for MG Rover, if Rolls Royce survived, then there's always a chance MG Rover can too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
mental

im also well sick of all these so called car experts getting ripped into mg rover and how **** they are.
i bought my mg zs a year ago and i really like it, its the best car ive ever driven, the handling is spot on and even though its not a 180 its sill got great performance and reliabillity, but mg-r should have tryed to get new models out to try and get more people interested....but the so so called experts and media just keep stabing there own people in the back, they all want us to drive french and german cars and make sure all the overseas car plants stay open, WHY? this is garbage. :cus:

just been watching sky news and there may still be a partial deal still on the table from the chinese, lets hop so.

also rember skoda, yeah **** cars a few year back, now with backing from VW skoda are producing great cars on a par or even better than VW, WHY CANT THIS HAPPEN TO MG-ROVER. i think the group who bought rover in 2000 are just sitting back counting there cash now, forget the plant workers and suppliers.....they are just small fry.........not true these people count and deserve much better, so somthing better get sorted by the goverment like leaning on the chinese a bit harder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I brought my 1st and current ZR160 3 years ago and have never regretted it. At the time it was just as the Z cars were being released and I was drawn in by the cinema ads they ran for a while. I saw so much potential in the car and after test driving one I knew I had to have it, a British car with great looks, performance and handling. I ignored the critics at the time and went with my heart and as a result have ended up with one of the best cars I have ever owned. What pisses me off the most is programs like Top Gear who never give MGR a chance and even slate the car before they even see or drive it!! If the rest of the British public grew some balls and brought British, MGR would never be in this situation.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top