MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being as it was a typical boring bank holiday Monday, my best mate and myself decided to do something...Anyways, after a day driving around we ended up at Longbridge :)
Last time i was there, which was around a month, two months tops, there was the usual half empty car parks dotted here and there which i'm presuming is staff parking. Yesterday we went there, totally different...

The 'staff car parks' were filled with brand new unregistered cars, all different models, most of which were Zr's, 25's and a few 45's - they were totally jam-packed!

Whats going on?

We came up with two theories. Hopefully the 1st is the correct one...

1. With MG-R introducing the new facelift models and free extras (leather) they've had such a demand they're putting them anywhere till they can get dispatched :bgrin2:

OR

2. Something is going down, and they're making a big bulk of cars ready for the Chinese to come in and take over and move everything around - like a last batch of Britishness! :shake:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Well it fits in with the selling profile of the range at the moment - I think ZR's are outselling anything else in the range as far as sales to the general public are concerned.

Unless it's time for staff cars to be renewed?

Or possibly a big fleet deal (although unlikely being ZR's)?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Bah. Probably just one of the workers playing a prank on Thursday evening by moving all the cars outside during the holiday so when they come back on Tuesday they'll go "what the...?"

It's easy, we did it with all the new pencils laid out on the boss's desk once.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roodosutaa said:
Bah. Probably just one of the workers playing a prank on Thursday evening by moving all the cars outside during the holiday so when they come back on Tuesday they'll go "what the...?"

It's easy, we did it with all the new pencils laid out on the boss's desk once.

Hehe, and shouldn't be that much harder than!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
parsec said:
Well it fits in with the selling profile of the range at the moment - I think ZR's are outselling anything else in the range as far as sales to the general public are concerned.

Unless it's time for staff cars to be renewed?

Or possibly a big fleet deal (although unlikely being ZR's)?
Yeah, the majority of cars there were Zr's - a lot were the Trophey Models on Steal rims - i guess that confirms MG's delay of 17" alloys!

It looked like they literally had brought them off the production line, chucked them through scrutineering then placed them there. Still had stickers etc all over them and with some the bonnets not properly closed

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Yeah, the majority of cars there were Zr's - a lot were the Trophey Models on Steal rims

Yup, I understand that the supplier of alloys went to the wall recently... hence the steel rims. Incidentally, I'm pretty certain that MGR is not the only manufacturers affected.

As for the volume of cars on site, guess there's little sense shipping them off site for the wheels to be removed at a later date. Additionally, perhaps the Easter holidays has wreaked havoc with transport, through a combination of drivers' and dealers holidays?

Regards

John

G

·
They produce about 500 cars per day what else can they do with the cars? Rain won't harm unless its ACID !! Just kidding

·
Registered
56 Posts
e668ecp said:
They produce about 500 cars per day what else can they do with the cars? Rain won't harm unless its ACID !! Just kidding
fair point...can't they wrap my baby up in cotton wool though? hehe! Does anybody know who supplies the alloys? I can see some hate mail going their way.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Well the steel wheels at least will be coming from India -

STEEL STRIPS WHEELS SECURES FIRST OVERSEAS OEM ORDER FROM MG ROVER, U.K.

136 words
24 March 2005
Hindustan Times
English
(c) 2005 The Hindustan Times Ltd
Hindustan Times

MUMBAI, India, March 24 -- The Stock Exchange, Mumbai (BSE) made the following corporate announcement:

Steel Strips Wheels Ltd., has informed BSE that MG Rover Group Ltd., Birmingham, U.K. has designated the Company as approved source for supply of Steel Wheel Rims for all their running models of cars and have assigned an official supplier code to the company in the MG Rover System. The Company is to supply approximately 130000 Steel Wheel Rims per annum. MG Rover will bear the entire cost of dies and tooling which will be approximately Rs. 8.50 million.

This is the Company's first overseas "OEM" (original equipment manufacturer) order.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
130,000 steel wheels per annum? that's more than the current output of cars in its entirety.... are we to see steel wheels come as standard AND optional on all cars? :scary:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went past the cofton and lickey end of the plant monday 4 times and it was as dead as anything... 1 x security 25 and a private number plate MG ZT.. where were all these cars lol ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.