MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which cars have you left at the lights, had on the motorway etc. in your DIESEL????

So far for me...

Seat Cupra Sport (thought it was an Ibiza before) - 40 - 70mph in 3rd/4th
Celica VVTi - 30-70mph in 3rd/4th
Rover 420Si - from 0 in 2nd to 60mph in 3rd (He was visibly Gutted)

Now considerring that on friday, before I put the correct injectors in, I was humbled by a 306D I think my trophy cabinet looks quite impressive tonight..

·
Registered
463 Posts
R32 Skyline (GTS i think), level 30 to 70ish then he was pulling away, beat him off the lights though and he wasn't getting away the rest of the time.

Met up with the driver after, he said he had to back off a little at lights because his tail was twitching (rear wheel drive and damp weather), but he also said his car was a 2.5 twin turbo tuned to 500bhp (DVLA listed it as a 2.0L).

When he asked what mine was you can guess what i replied.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
i dont really do much of the traffic light racing but my favorites i have had are:

Audi A4 2.0FSI
BMW 320d Compact
Astra GSI (dont think it was very well tho tbh)
Pug 206GTI

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same as you mate, old skool M3 was easy in 3rd and start of 4th but he then shot off, only for me to catch him in the corners

'03 CTR on m'way
205 gti (said it was 1.9 but it must have been a 1.6 or very ill)
Focus ST170

Now to cars which have killed me,

SKODA Fabia 1.9PD VRS, these things really shift
V'hall ASTRA 1.9CDTI not sure whether the 120 or 150 but these things shift.
But i must say its only diesels which put up any competition, once im going most petrols are way behind.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lotus Elise (118bhp Version)

Golf GT TDI 150

Saxo VTS

Golf VR6 4Motion

Fabia VRS

Passat 1.8T

MG ZS Running 190bhp as proved via the video footage on this forum.

Cheers

·
Registered
117 Posts
R32 Skyline (GTS i think), level 30 to 70ish then he was pulling away, beat him off the lights though and he wasn't getting away the rest of the time.

Met up with the driver after, he said he had to back off a little at lights because his tail was twitching (rear wheel drive and damp weather), but he also said his car was a 2.5 twin turbo tuned to 500bhp (DVLA listed it as a 2.0L).

When he asked what mine was you can guess what i replied.
The guy may have said that his R32 GTS was a 2.5 twin turbo but he was telling porkie pies i'm afraid, the R32 GTS only came with the following engines:

RB20E (2.0 non turbo)
RB20DE (2.0 dohc non turbo)
RB25DE (2.5 dohc non turbo)
RB20DET (2.0 dohc cam single turbo)

The only one that is twin turbo'd is the GT-R which has the following

RB26DETT (2.6 dohc 24v twin turbo)

As for him saying it was 500bhp from a GTS i'd take that with a pinch of salt i'm afriad as well.

Good on you for giving him a run though !!

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
The guy may have said that his R32 GTS was a 2.5 twin turbo but he was telling porkie pies i'm afraid, the R32 GTS only came with the following engines:

RB20E (2.0 non turbo)

As for him saying it was 500bhp from a GTS i'd take that with a pinch of salt i'm afriad as well.

Unless said skyline owner as had engine work / swap stuff done. :lol: Skylines are easily tunable to around 500bhp with out too much work.

·
Registered
463 Posts

RB20E (2.0 non turbo)

Yes i know he was full of it as soon as he said it was a 2.5 twin turbo (i know my Skylines too well).
According to DVLA it was a 2.0L, not sure if it was a turbo or the 160bhp n/a, I'm sure i heard a dump valve though.

He was so full of it that even after losing to a Rover diesel he claimed he was running a 500hp 2.5L twin turbo, even tried to claim it was a GTR, then i told him GTR's have 4wd.

Hoping to buy a Skyline in future (when I'm 25+) which is why I taunted him just to see how quick they are, expected him to leave me standing but just didn't happen so think I'll keep my sights set on a GTR r32 or r34 (not so keen on r33).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Unless said skyline owner as had engine work / swap stuff done. :lol: Skylines are easily tunable to around 500bhp with out too much work.
I beg to differ from you there on that one, as a Skyline owner for over 8 years now I do know quite a lot about them, I have found out that to get a GTS to around 500bhp is bloody hard work (if it's a non turbo then forget it).
My own R33 GT-R V-spec is currently what is classed as a stage 1 tune (exhaust, filters, downpipe, de cat, ecu, boost upgrade, suspension mods) and to get it to the next level (around 500 bhp) would mean purchasing, new turbos, new cams, new injectors, new fuel pump, new clutch, another better ecu, all this on top of what I have already purchased for the stage 1 !!
Getting a GT-R to 400 bhp is easy, 500 bhp is not too hard but costs a lot of money (around 7k and upwards fitted).

As for the mega power Skylines out there (i.e. 800 bhp and above) then it is not unknown for owners to plough the better part of 100k into their cars to get these figures !!

Shaun.

·
Registered
117 Posts
He was so full of it that even after losing to a Rover diesel he claimed he was running a 500hp 2.5L twin turbo, even tried to claim it was a GTR, then i told him GTR's have 4wd.

Hoping to buy a Skyline in future (when I'm 25+) which is why I taunted him just to see how quick they are, expected him to leave me standing but just didn't happen so think I'll keep my sights set on a GTR r32 or r34 (not so keen on r33).
He he, good on you for putting him right on the Skyline stats !!

I hope you do end up getting a Skyline as well as they are just fantastic cars, please please do your homework though and get a good one as when they go wrong they will cost mega money ! It's a shame but people forget that a Skyline GT-R was a 54k car when new, and, as a result isn't going to be cheap to modify/fix.

As for choices, a good R32 GT-R will cost around 6 - 8.5k and a good R34 is the better part of 26 - 29k (oi whats wrong with the R33 ;) only kidding as it's your choice and prefer the 33 out of all of them).

Whatever you choose, enjoy it, I am sure you will (I still am after 8 years of Skyline ownership !!).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sat Morning - Joined a race between an Elise and a Scooby.. Both pulled away from me in 1st and 2nd, but in 3rd from 50 to 90 in 4th I kept the Elise behind me and lost the Scooby.. You should of seen their faces.. LOL

Today.. Went to the VW show in N Wales (own a beetle too) and on the way back, coming up the rhialt hill (2 mile steep climb on dual cariageway) in 5th gear at 85 I absolutley hammered 3 golf GTi's, Mk1, 2 and 3.. Mk2's missus was battering him to slow down.. lol..

Since fitting my ball valve for some reason my low rev power has dropped, but at 3 and a half K revs in 5th, at 22Psi I am certain that in the wet the wheels would spin when I floored it..

·
Registered
33 Posts
im sorry but im struggling to believe you have beaten these cars... cupra's,scoobies,skylines etc..... i have a 101 zr td and it beats NOTHING!! certainly not my dads cupra derv.. what have you done to your cars!!!???

deano

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im sorry but im struggling to believe you have beaten these cars... cupra's,scoobies,skylines etc..... i have a 101 zr td and it beats NOTHING!! certainly not my dads cupra derv.. what have you done to your cars!!!???

deano
Taken the power of the engines to WELL above the manufacturers standard settings.. most people are running between 140 - 200bhp on here..

When I had my ZR+ TD105 it was a bit slower on take off than my mates Golf GtTDi but after 50 it left it standing, this has the same engine as the seat I believe...

If your ZR "beats nothing" then either somethings wrong with it, or you are not using your gear changes at the right time...

A lot of petrol heads (not meaning you here) get into a diesel and try to rev them like a petrol car where as with a diesel, if you drive it like a petrol car it drives a lot slower..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts