MG-Rover.org Forums banner
101 - 120 of 1,543 Posts
I fitted the hardtop that I just bought on ebay. It's in great condition and fits well, but despite checking the paint code with the seller it's a slightly different shade of yellow to the rest of the car. It's not much but it is noticeable so I reckon it'll go for a respray before next winter.

There are other bits of bodywork needing a little attention too so it could get expensive!

I was out in it this morning and it certainly gives the car a different feel.
I think that it won't have been weathered as much, mine is also just a slightly different shade (of blue). It would be possible to colour match it to the body if you wanted.

New stainless steel downpipe and TT mk.7 exhaust fitted today!
Lots of peeps said they are really loud, but Daz at Bitz said come over and test drive a car with one fitted, and it aint that bad at all....so a deal was done and now have a more sporty tone to my TF!

Sundance

New stainless steel downpipe and TT mk.7 exhaust fitted today!
Lots of peeps said they are really loud, but Daz at Bitz said come over and test drive a car with one fitted, and it aint that bad at all....so a deal was done and now have a more sporty tone to my TF!

Sundance
I have exactly the same setup - well, I do have a Toyo stainless steel manifold as well - and I agree with you totally in as far as loudness is concerned. I can drive mine around without it roaring like a boy racer, but when I bury my foot, she opens up beautifully and if I really put the foot to the floor, when she hits around 4,000 in 2nd....OMG, the rasp and noise is just wonderful when accelerating hard!

Glad you like yours - money well spent :wink:

I have exactly the same setup - well, I do have a Toyo stainless steel manifold as well - and I agree with you totally in as far as loudness is concerned. I can drive mine around without it roaring like a boy racer, but when I bury my foot, she opens up beautifully and if I really put the foot to the floor, when she hits around 4,000 in 2nd....OMG, the rasp and noise is just wonderful when accelerating hard!

Glad you like yours - money well spent :wink:

Yeah, I just thought wow at 4000 revs, totally awesome rasp and you get a bit of burble when dropping off the revs too. They also look good.
One thing I noted is that the downpipe is slightly shorter and the cat is nearly touching the bracket where the two rear track arms are connected in the centre of the rear subframe.
But my cat will probably need replacing too soon, shame I didn't notice the worn flange or I would have bought one at the same time.
Also I kept the standard manifold on as its perfectly good.
Anyone recommend a suitable cat that is slightly thinner than the OEM one?

Sundance

If you have a kmaps remap you can get them to add burble (which is unburnt fuel burning off in the exhaust).
A remap is on the cards for the summer, was thinking about the air filter, but from what I can dig up from posts on the forums, there is nothing much better than the OEM one, but do correct me if I am wrong!
I also asked Darren at Bitz about fitting a 52mm throttle body, but he says that the 135 and 160 engines come with one fitted anyway! Is this correct?

Sundance

52mm TB and panel filter are on the cards for me after chrimbo - my F doesn't have the TB as standard and although I do have a TF style airbox, I'm still gonna chuck a performance filter in it and perhaps redirect the airflow intake to the passenger side engine vent.......the standard TF box design is as good as it can get (over the older style F box) but chucking in a better performance filter can't do any harm.....

Today I have spruced up my centre console

Before:

And then with a bit of chrome and some new knows:

Only thing I am not sure about is the heater rings, I don't like the way they obscure the dials a little, what do you think, anyone else have these and have a better fit?

I also fitted new gators for the gear stick and hand brake.

Spent last night relining my hardtop, with the help of the lovely Mrs. Checked a couple of how-to's and figured it had to be a doddle.
Straight off I couldn't remove the front roof catches. A couple of the bolts turned, but wouldn't actually unthread- I'm assuming they thread into a captive nut in the hardtop, and these were turning rather than undoing.
Anyway, stopped before I did irreparable harm to anything and cut the headlining out.
Now recovered in Tartan (Yeah Baby!) and when glue fully dry will improvise a way of refitting it.
Oil and filter on stand-by for a change, but too much of a pussy to do it in the sleet. Sun guaranteed to come out tomorrow when back at work!

MOT passed.

The TF is driving really well at the moment. (better not jinx it).

The advisories are as follows. coil spring corroded, sub frame corroded but not seriously- rear, sub frame corroded but not seriously- front, subframe mounting prescribed area corroded but not excessive (rear offside floor), shock absorber casing slight corrosion to casing (front and rear), Nearside rear tyre tread inner wear.

I was aware of most things except the tyre.

I am also pleased that the subframe mountings are good after 13 years.

This is the first year I have not received an emissions print out. Is that the norm now?

:smile:

Having fallen into the trap of thinking she was going pretty well recently, broke down :hysteria:

Stopped off on the way home from work to make a small delivery, came back to car one minute later to find her absolutely refusing to start. Not the battery (lights all bright) and hadn't locked her so don't think immobiliser. Turning the key to second position produces one soft click under the dash, then nothing at all. Doesn't turn over at all. Thinking it might be starter motor.
If I can rustle up some help I might try a push start to see.
Happy TF'ing everybody!

My battery isn't holding power! If I don't use the car for a couple of days the battery goes flat. It doesn't look like my alternator is charging. My battery has been checked by the shop and they think it is ok. They have recharged it. Battery is about a year old. I could muck around with the alternator but I've decided just to change it for a reconditioned one!. It's a bit cold to be changing the alternator but needs must.

The car lay for nearly 2 years in a scrap yard. Replacing the alternator was part of my 'refurbishment' plan for the beast anyway. I'm just going to bring it forward. I already had the battery checked and it's ok. I'm getting around 13v on charge from the existing alternator suggesting that it's the culprit. Of course that doesn't mean that I don't still have an open circuit.

101 - 120 of 1,543 Posts