MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
6,717 Posts
Is no-one else doing anything with their MGF's / TF's?

I walk past it about 20 times a day, then think ooh that's shiny, I really should drive that every now and again - does that count?

· Registered
6,717 Posts
Looked at my sad wee F, which hasn't been driven all winter and decided to fix the wiper motor. Started the job in a timely fashion at 8.30pm, outside, in the dark. Hey at least the torch worked.

Found a post somewhere or tother that suggested removing the motor from the wiper arm assembly in-situ was a doddle. It wasn't. Couldn't get the ratcheting spanner onto the spindle nut. But I got there with the help of short handled tools and a mirror.

Motor on the bench waiting for another day. It wines like a very [email protected]^*@ed off cat. Suspect the bearings are to blame. Apparently they're 22mm OD, 8mm ID. Going to pinch one of my daughter's skateboard bearings and give it a whirl. shhh...
Take the main motor housing off. I'd bet it's full of rusty coloured water. With any luck a good drain, dry out, clean up and degrease and you might get it going again.

Oh and don't forget to drill a 3mm drain hope in the bottom corner to stop it all happening again.

Good luck.

· Registered
6,717 Posts
2. Windcsreen washer provides insufficent washer liquid front [8.2.3]
Ordered a ball joint and wiper stalk...
Out of interest, how will the new wiper stalk solve the lack of washer liquid being expelled?

Unless of course there is no water at all and you have found the stalk/switch to be the fault...

· Registered
6,717 Posts
Car didn't start up (since July or August). Finally had some spare time to read, browse, and test.

Disconnected the inertia switch and with a piece of copper wire, bypassed it.

It works!

The question is: should I get a new inertia switch, or just ignore it and keep the bypass?
Get it replaced ASAP, its a safety related item - it cuts the fuel off in the event of a smash.

Reactions: VMR

· Registered
6,717 Posts

· Registered
6,717 Posts
160bhp over 143, and it will be remappable.

I should also increase the fuel economy as MEMS 3 uses smaller injectors and they are used more accurately.

(it also saves swapping the engine from the old subframe to the new one).
Nice one - enjoy.

· Registered
6,717 Posts
And finished my speaker conversion and door card refurbish! :grin:

I'm fantastically amazed by the job: both musically and estethically.
I've not changed the speaker grills, because I like to leave an original look.
Photos please or it didn't happen :)

· Registered
6,717 Posts

· Registered
6,717 Posts
Walked past it at the weekend about 25 times, thinking I really should drive that again soon.

Then dropped a folding chair on the bonnet and dented it - is that Karma? :)

· Registered
6,717 Posts
Today I took off the cat which had sucked a briquette into the exit hole causing serious power loss over 4000 rpm. Top bolt on the left was a nightmare!!! MY2000 VVC.

Replaced it with a shiny new decat pipe.

So the exhaust system now comprises of a Direnza 4-2-1 SS manifold and downpipe. TT MK7/2 SS back box with decat pipe.

I firmly believe that the VVC does not lose any power when fitting a decat...On the contrary. I have not RR the car but I know my car like the back of my hand. She now does 35 in first, before decat she was 30. She now does 70 in second, before decat 64. She now does 95 in third, before decat 90. She now does 115 in fourth, 110 before decat. All on a private road of course.

Also...I have this small section of road that I test all my cars on, it's a few hundred meters long. Before the decat Molly reached 78mph on this road...Time and time again. First run following decat she hit 84mph!

There you have it...Not very scientific I know but I also know for a fact that my torque has improved throughout the rev range...Increased mph in every gear and the sound....Well that's another story!!!
Now all that you have to worry about is passing the next MOT :)

· Registered
6,717 Posts
I see you have a gas strut fitted there DFA - would you recommend it/them?

If so, which one did you buy and did you buy the mounting bracket also or make your own?

· Registered
6,717 Posts
In the brief period between getting home and having supper I tried getting all four corners of the front subframe transplant bolted up and have come to the conclusion that the front end is slightly twisted :(
Noooooooooooo! - nightmare.

· Registered
6,717 Posts
Took my F for a spin.....not really a what I've done as I drive it daily, however; after calling into a shop came out and saw this

Yes, the dreaded radiator leak on the front left corner (when looking from front)...third F/TF this has happened on now.

Luckily, I have this spare radiator to fit tomorrow evening :)

So what have I done to my F today, sprayed penetrating oil on all slam panel bolts ready for dismantling tomorrow :)
Could have been far worse matey, imagine that during a long run... HGF

· Registered
6,717 Posts

· Registered
6,717 Posts
Nice job Sundance.

Reactions: sundanceuk

· Registered
6,717 Posts
hi, maybe you can help me? bought an obd2 today plugged it in and got a list of numbers, I know I need an inlet manifold gasket but can you tell me what these codes mean, please. they are as follows p0455 p0125 p0234 p0299 p0357 p0443 p0736 u1143 u0001 I would be grateful for any help you can give, I have been struggling to get this sorted out now I am at a crossroads as things seem to be getting to me .:frown:
There are literally thousands of fault/error codes. If you want a full list just Google something like 'full list of OBD2 codes' and take it from there.

This is just one of the many available resources: http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...ricmanufacturer-obd2-codes-and-their-meanings

Of course some of your codes might be stored from old/previous problems. After you have found out what each one means try deleting the codes (using your new reader - assuming it can do that of course) and see which, or any, of the codes reappear.

· Registered
6,717 Posts
Vented some fluid from the hydragas system valves on each side to drop the suspension.

It was way too high even when I last pumped it up at the end of last year. Now the temperature has risen considerably it was looking even more like a 4x4.

A 25 mm drop has it looking far more aggressive again. It least it will look good in the garage when I walk past it repeatedly for the next few weeks...

Its next trip on the road is likely to be to the MOT station in July - well you cant have low mileage (63K for a 1995) and drive it lots :)

· Registered
6,717 Posts
Made and fitted my own servo support bracket.

ps without changing to a snorkel...

· Registered
6,717 Posts
The original snorkel is ugly and rust away.
Is more difficult to remove.

What's the benefit of keeping it?
1) It wont/cant rust - mine is plastic.

2) Why keep it? - because its fine and I dont need to remove it, plus I dont have more time and money than sense.

:)

· Registered
6,717 Posts
Probably rusted away

Peter
Yes it does have the Steel plate cover - still in near perfect position with no sign of any corrosion at all...

1 - 20 of 82 Posts