MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 199 Posts

· Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,213 Posts
Technically I've not done anything to my F's or TF's today, however; I have picked up an engine for my one TF and a starter motor for the other one.

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Removed with the help of my brother a windscreen from a TF which was being scrapped....hopefully it will now enable me to keep another TF on the road which otherwise would have been scrapped

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Tried to sort coolant issue on blue TF...no joy at present. Also had a fondle of my recently acquired red TF's rear front and front subframe mounts, they are not good as in totally shot!

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Not so much of a What have I done to my MGF/TF but more what my bro has done to my MGTF :)

Have had a hissing sound on the brake servo for a while so got another servo to fit....my bro is using my TF at the moment as his F has had the clutch go so as he finishes work early on a Friday he swapped over the servo.

Came home to find the old servo at my house....scary stuff to say the least, he's told me it brakes so much better now :)

Automotive tire Musical instrument Rim Gas Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Rim

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Fitted the standard CD/Radio player back into my 75th :)

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Car

Sadly, the person before me had removed the original and fitted a JVC unit, the standard one, even second hand are about twice the price of the JVC unit due to it being the same as the BMW business unit. So, if any of you have one of the ones above (XQE 100) and are not using it, they are going for silly prices on fleabay

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Erm, maybe it's just me but what exactly does the OEM head unit have to offer over and above a much more modern unit other than it being OEM? - as for BMW business, what benefit is that to quality of sound reproduction? - I guess if people want to pay 'silly money' for them then they are indeed silly.
People are buying them as many older vehicle had them removed for newer units when the cars were a lot newer. I won't go into the difference of sound reproduction as that has been already addresses. It's like buying a tesco value bluetooth speaker to a Bose unit, there is no comparison

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but pray tell, what (other than OEM) advantages are there.........enlighten me because I'm all ears.........especially when it comes to music. To me, going back to an OEM unit would be akin to going back to using a cassette walkman over something like an iPod............
The advantage is, its the same as the original unit which was in the car when coming off the production line. Being a 75th Anniversary model I would like to keep the car as original as possible

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Took clutch slave cylinder off my red TF to put on my blue TF as the red one not on the road at the mo and the seal gone on the glue one....pointless exercise, seal in the slave cylinder of the red one was knackered as well :(

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Freed off the clutch arm and fitted spare slave cylinder to my red TF, also tried to get it running (purchased as non runner) fires with easy start, removed fuel lines from pump, nothing coming out so either faulty pump or electrical issue

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Fitted new (second hand) fuel pump to my red TF 115 (1.6 model)....was an interesting experience as the one in it was a white top so fleabay ordered another white top....It would appear the one in it wasn't the original as was the top was damaged, also the locating lug wasn't there and the power feed cables had been spliced onto it. Found out the metal retaining ring also wouldn't fit onto the "new" unit I had purchased due to the lug. After sawing (botching) off the lug it fitted ok and started up :)

Now I've had a quick scan of google but can't find any info on the pump units for the TF 115....I know the MGF's had a different unit, different connector and a red retaining ring so can only assume that:

a) the older unit was fitted to the 115's (as with door mirrors, etc.) and would explain the spliced new style power block
b) Someone has swapped the tanks over

If anyone has any info I'd be interested to know.....it may also be useful for others with a TF 115

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Taxed and insured my MGF 75th Anniversary, also took the hard top off it and placed onto one of my TF's and took it out for a spin ?)

· Registered
2,213 Posts
How is the paint job holding up after 18 months?
Actually pretty good, After getting as much rust off as possible with an angle grinder with wire brush attached and a drill with wire brush attached to get into areas the angle grinder couldn't fit, I basically brush painted near neat phosphoric acid (85%) all over it and once left a couple of days I re-wire brushed and used red oxide as a base coat primer (2 coats), once that had dried I finished off with 3 coats of wilkinsons or possibly Aldi (I can't remember) external black gloss.

My next job is to fit a refurbished rear subframe which will have the same treatment :)......but this time I thought ahead and bought a second hand one to refurb rather than have the car laid up whilst I weld, treat and paint :)

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Went to pump up my suspension on my F, however; my cheap grease gun pump had the connector fall apart when fitting it so couldn't do that so I fitted a Parrot Bluetooth unit to it instead :)

Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Vehicle Automotive mirror

Car Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Repaired drivers side speaker on one of the F's....connections had rusted. Also sorted out the clock on the same F, previous owner had put perm live to clock light not clock...dur!! also on same F, dismantled passenger side window motor as it had seized...once cleaned, silicone greased and put back together worked fine until fully lowered, then it stuck....freed it off but will keep an eye on it. Oh, also took it out for a spin :)

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Took my F for a spin.....not really a what I've done as I drive it daily, however; after calling into a shop came out and saw this
Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel

Yes, the dreaded radiator leak on the front left corner (when looking from front)...third F/TF this has happened on now.

Luckily, I have this spare radiator to fit tomorrow evening :)

Automotive radiator part Grille Wood Composite material Gas

So what have I done to my F today, sprayed penetrating oil on all slam panel bolts ready for dismantling tomorrow :)

1 - 20 of 199 Posts