MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
mg_tf
47 Posts
Sun's out - so today's job is to replace my slightly cloudy rear screen with a nice new glass version, and also fit some anti-lock straps to the hood ....wish me luck.
All done - very pleased with the result. It was a straightforward fit, bar a couple of reluctant rivets that wouldn't push out and had to be drilled. But not much over an hour from start to finish.

Thanks for all the tips.

· Registered
mg_tf
47 Posts
MOT test this afternoon ..... always a stressful time !
And passed ...... one advisory "slight play in track rod end ball joint", so something to look at later, but very happy with that.

Interesting that emissions were much improved on 12 months ago for a car that only comes out to play occasionally, and has had no work done to the engine or exhaust in that time - but that may be down to a good run to get everything nice and warm immediately before going to the test appointment.

· Registered
mg_tf
47 Posts
Replaced the perished foam strip on the rear of the hood ...which now looks so much better

If the rain showers hold off for more than half an hour I'll take it out for a bit of a run to blow the cobwebs out (my TF stays in the garage on wet days !)

· Registered
mg_tf
47 Posts
First drive out for a few weeks (thanks to the Beast from the East and associated snow & ice etc.) ..... battery now on charge to give a bit of a top-up as there was just a hint of a slight hesitance when I turned the engine over.

And my son has bought himself a ZT-T V6, so had to give that the once over (very nice) but plenty more MG related tinkering ahead no doubt..

· Registered
mg_tf
47 Posts
Been getting an intermittent SRS warning light, so I disconnected the under seat wiring, used some contact cleaner on them and reconnected . Then used cable ties to hold the connectors firmly together as recommended in the "MGF and TF Restoration Manual" (Roger Parker).

Went for a good long run to see if the problem recurred - so far so good, no light.

· Registered
mg_tf
47 Posts
Dreaded MoT day today for my TF 135... passed last year with only one advisory (slightly worn track rod end), and with excellent emission readings.

Since has had the track rod end replaced as well as new exhaust and stainless coolant pipes ... all lights etc. working and driving well, but still feel nervous !

Will be going for a good run (Italian tune up) before the test to get everything nice and warm.

Update ..... the tester complimented me on the condition of the car, emissions v low and not a single advisory BUT then told me it had failed (a worn ball joint), so one more job to get done this week.

· Registered
mg_tf
47 Posts
My TF normally stays tucked up in the garage on potentially wet days but had to use it Saturday and got caught in a heavy rain shower or two. At least now I know there is a leak/drip at the top of the drivers window where it meets the windscreen frame.

Another job to look at ......

· Registered
mg_tf
47 Posts
My TF (2005) decided to develop a bit of a misfire/stutter whilst on the motorway last weekend. It was raining quite a bit so maybe damp/water related but seemed to sort itself after a couple of minutes and was fine on the return journey later (even though still pretty wet).

No other problems in the 2 years I've had it - no sign of any heat/cooling problems at all.

So decided to bring forward a few jobs I had already planned - new spark plugs, HT leads and fuel filter - not sure when any of those were last changed.

Anything else to consider ?

Gearbox oil change is going to be done at the same time whilst the engine cover is off.

But - heavy rain today means will now be delayed for a couple of days.

· Registered
mg_tf
47 Posts
Gave mine a clean inside and out and then a brisk drive to keep things moving and charged up ( my TF spends most of the winter in the garage) ..... toyed with putting on the hardtop, but decided against it to keep the option open of going out "topless" on a really cold but sunny day (with the heater on full)...... nothing like it !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts