MG-Rover.org Forums banner
2781 - 2787 of 2787 Posts

·
Premium Member
ZS180, ZTT260, STR, MondeoMk3
689 Posts
Getting there..
Took far too long but the ZS has 4 wheels again, and feels proper solid on the road. Half of me never wants to do this ever again but the other half wants to put the new skills to use. Just, in a nice big garage, in the warm, out of the rain, with a lift.

It needs to go in for an alignment, then this is done.

And, of course, I also completed what I started out doing before being distracted by a suspension refurb: fitting the new Piper mid-section to the exhaust. The easiest job by far, as I'd long-ago replaced all the nuts and bolts on the exhaust with stainless steel!

I don't have any more useful pictures of reassembly (hold the part in position, fit bolts, torque down with weight on the suspension where told to do so by the big book) -- so here's a triumphant picture of the car finally sitting back down on it's own wheels:

Land vehicle Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

(Yes, the car was blocking in a skip, and yes, they do charge for the extra time it's been there!!)

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
It needs to go in for an alignment, then this is done.
I took it in for alignment today.

The guy does the first check and shouts from the ramp - "so what's wrong with it?".
I'd got the passenger side aligned spot on by eye!
Driver's side was toed-out, not by much but enough to account for some crabbing I'd noticed.

So it's all set up now and I honestly nearly shed a tear of joy on the drive home. I've not felt the car so stable at speed for a long time. Absolute joy. Those trailing arm bushes have been a growing problem for years and it makes the weeks on the stands and effort to change them all worth while.

Little bonus of some ZS appreciation too - "I had one of these new in 2002, loved it, amazing machine, proper collectors car now" 😁

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Having sorted the suspension and got the car into generally fantastic shape, it developed a very slight misfire on a trip to Sheffield a few months ago. Fast forward to a 3 hour trip a few weeks ago and there was real fear of a problem - it was missing when pushing on and had a lack of power in general. In fact, I pulled out to overtake and couldn't 😱 It didn't let me down though, I got to where I was going and home, only holding back on the throttle.

The symptoms felt like an ignition coil. And since 5 of the 6 are 18 years old, I sent a few quid to DMGRS for a full set.

And indeed it's back to full power - one of those coils was dying.

Back to absolutely loving the car.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Back on the stands..

Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire

The MOT tester picked up rotten sills/floor. Both sides gone.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Wood
Tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Not too bad - the rust seems isolated to the flat, easily plated outer skin. But we'll see what the grinder reveals. The jacking points themselves are solid - they lifted the car, anyway!

Also the usual floor section at the front has gone again - I had that done in 2017, but I knew the plating there wasn't great and wouldn't last. The garage didn't put the drain holes back in, and without holes couldn't have got any paint or sealer inside. I knew it would go soon as rusty water had started dripping through the metal... We'll do a better job this time.

Annoyingly I've put four cars through MOT in the last 12 months and ALL of them have failed on sills.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
6,030 Posts
Yeah, annoying. I guess you could spray some waxoil type product on the inner sill. on my R25 I used some Bill and Hamber spray cans that came with a long nozzle for sills, which you could access by removing the arch liner.

2781 - 2787 of 2787 Posts