MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2723 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much as it says above peeps, what have we all been up to today?

I received the wiring adaptor (BMW to ISO) for the headunit so I can swap out the radio :) Got a bit of a surprise the other night expecting a two minute job!

When did the BMW style wiring come into play? I thought it was more of a 45-onwards thing? Car is a 99 400.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Had a 4 wheel alignment done (I replaced the outer CV joints, track rod ends, upper control arms and hub ball joints a while back so it needed doing) and the difference is incredible :D So much nicer to drive now! £61.50 well spent. And I have a properly centred steering wheel, which I've never had since owning the car :)

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Had a 4 wheel alignment done (I replaced the outer CV joints, track rod ends, upper control arms and hub ball joints a while back so it needed doing) and the difference is incredible :D So much nicer to drive now! £61.50 well spent. And I have a properly centred steering wheel, which I've never had since owning the car :)

Where did you buy your parts from? I want to buy a few suspension components on my 45 including the lower arm. Local motor factors wanted something like £123 + vat for a front lower arm!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I got the upper control arms and track rod ends from Redline (I bought the FirstLine parts), the ball joints from my local Unipart outlet and the outer CV joints from J&R spares. Alignment was carried out by PK Motors in Tunbridge Wells; they emailed me with a promotion they had on with 4WA at £50+VAT. I also know they use a Hunter Hawkeye system and they've only had it a couple of years so it's pretty new.

Upper control arms x 2: £84
Track rod ends x 2: £34
Lower ball joints x 2: £47
Outer CV joints x 2: £30
Alignment: £60

Total: £255

My original intention was just to replace the outer CV joints, but the upper and lower ball joints and one of the track rod ends all had knackered rubber boots. Some of them split in the process of separating the joints so I replaced both sides before re-fitting everything. £255 is still quite a lot, but the car's done nearly 90,000 miles and is nine years old so it's just one of those wear and tear things that has to be done sooner or later!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Replaced the compliance bush on the near side rear trailing arm on my Rover 416 (1997).

The bush had started making a "clonking" noise just after Xmas and I was not looking forward to doing the job.

Once the arm was off the car I was amazed at how bad the bush was. The rubber centre and central mounting bar could be pulled out with minimum force just leaveing the outer steel band in the arm itself.

The car had sailed through a MOT less than two months ago?

Anyway, a replacement for less than £10 did the trick (and I got a second bush so I can do the other side at some time).

Looking at the history of the car (I have had it from new) this will be the third bush I have replaced. Amazingly, they have failed every five years within a month of each other!!

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,008 Posts
Drove very carefully to work, then drove very carefully back lol checked the tyre pressures this morning, the front drivers one was down to 18psi

Also, tested my "grandad driving" today setting off from a junction, an older gentleman in a rover 200 set off exactly the same time as me, i accelorated very gently and got up to speed slowly, changing up as soon as was possible (im on an eco run for 2 weeks in case people havnt seen my thread), i thought i was slow, i left the 200 in my rear mirror!!! Was the slowest and most boring drag race in history

·
Registered
546 Posts
Replaced the pollen filter. I bought one about a week ago and went to fit it, turned out it was the wrong one, but I was amazed at the build up of leaves and general crap. The old pollen filter was totally black. New one came today, popped it straight in. Hopefully it'll help with my damp problem.

·
Registered
672 Posts
well ive cleaned & polished mine today and she gleeming,till it rains again anyway lol and had someone asking me if she was for sale,he reckons its the cleanist 53 plate mg hes ever seen,considering ide just washed and polished it,it probaly was

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Drove my daughter to the local hospital for a physo appointment.
Drove my daughter to school.
Drove my me to work.
Drove my me to Sainsburys and put in £61 worth of 2*.
Drove my me to home.

·
Registered
269 Posts
wsnt a good friday the 13th for me someone broke my wing mirror .went to get a backbox put on found out the front to back needed done. the hand break went and makes a noise in the o/s hub .and my mrs broke my seatbelt buckle oh happy days

·
Registered
mgf
2,569 Posts
wsnt a good friday the 13th for me someone broke my wing mirror .went to get a backbox put on found out the front to back needed done. the hand break went and makes a noise in the o/s hub .and my mrs broke my seatbelt buckle oh happy days
Oh that sucks. happy Saturday the 14th then.

·
Registered
269 Posts
im in a want to sell it mood hate it but wait till sunday when all will be fixed and it will be back to being the best car in the world

1 - 20 of 2723 Posts