MG-Rover.org Forums banner
421 - 440 of 460 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
R25 passed MOT! :grin:

One advisory: Service brake fluctuating, but not excessively.

I’ll have a look at the calliper in question if I can detect it whilst driving.

My warmest congratulations @gnu!
It's a very heartening & well deserved success due to your efficient care. :rocker::clap:

Reactions: gnu

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,927 Posts
Not mine but my younger son's Rover 25 needed wheel alignment check.

The steering wheel was annoyingly a few degrees "out" following a speed bump heavy contact. Worse than that the inner near unseen edge of the nearside front wheel had very irregular heavy wear as a result. The wire reinforcements would soon be exposed.

Anyway, this rainy afternoon, took the car to Malvern Tyres in Gloucester on the recommendation of a a guy who I use to do work on the family cars I do not fancy doing or do not have the proper kit for. The staff at Malvern Tyres were very helpful and forty-five minutes and £36 later, my son now has a car which drives much better ... and the Steering wheel is nice and level when driving straight ahead as it should be. We were even allowed to take some images of the process.

Attachments

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
Had a productive few days, the engine is now free and so is the A/C system, full engine loom, cabin and dash loom, plus lots of other bits, wasn't much left on the car in the end, got my £300 worth from when I bought it over 3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,927 Posts
Yes, my younger son's Rover 25 failed MoT miserably today. Wrong Tyre ROTATION direction !!... :D...

Soon swapped them across and immediate re-test pass. Few weeks ago, had both rear sills extensively patch welded professionally ... which involved rear wheel removal. The direction indicators on the tyre walls are not loud and clear.

Two advisories by the ever helpful local MoT place I use now. Both short runs of the visible metal rear brake pipes corroded. With the wheels off during the swap, those visible bits looked fine to me. Maybe the unseen part of their runs are meant... will check those unseen bits when time allows.

Anyway, his seventeen year old (first) car he's had for ten years drives as good as a new one now. Bought back then with suspect so called HGF, I fitted an MLS and car never missed a beat since.

Hard to spot those direction indicators on the tyre sidewalls. The "on the ball" MoT tester saw they were on the wrong sides though. :~

I see very little corrosion on those pipes? Smooth to the touch. Under protective coatings? :~

Reactions: gnu

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
6,056 Posts
Congrats on the pass. Annoying rescan to fail, but it happens. Sometimes the tread patten is directional (V’s or the like) so it’s more obvious if the tyre‘s the wrong way round. Another year’s cheap motoring.,.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,927 Posts
I fixed your pictures above. Needed to take them from the other forum though ... ;)
Thank you. Puzzled by this. The post and pictures looked fine when I submitted it. It was a direct copy and paste from the other Rover/MG site.

I drove my son's little car earlier today in the poor wet conditions to and from the MoT test centre. We fitted new UNIROYAL Rainsport 3 tyres to both front wheels a few weeks ago and had the tracking adjusted too. I was impressed that the now seventeen year old car with over 100,000 miles on the clocks drove so well. Good brakes and handling. Been a good servant the ten years my son has had it.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,526 Posts
Thank you. Puzzled by this. The post and pictures looked fine when I submitted it. It was a direct copy and paste from the other Rover/MG site.
I do not think that copy paste can work as before as the other site as this site do not reside on same software any more. But further, I cannot see pictures on other site too. I see them only as attachments on the bottom of the post.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,927 Posts
Over the past couple of weeks I have been getting the "perforated" sills cut out and patched on two little Rovers. A Rover 25 and a 214 respectively owned by my two sons.

The 214 was patched today and I was able to take a few images by flash camera in the dark just before my older son drove it away.

These images show the work involved. My son was pleased with his 214 which needed an extensive patch fully one metre long under the nearside sill, mainly to cover the area directly under the B Pillar.

These images show some of the work involved with both cars. Also includes one showing a drive on ramp. As appear in the first two images. The reason they are finished in brilliant white gloss is simple. When painting some woodwork in the house and garage, my paint brush was still loaded with paint when finished painting. Rather than wastefully rinse it away off the brushes using a solvent, I worked most of the paint out by painting the ramps. Waste not want not as me old Granny used to say .. :)

When we had a chance to look at the welding work, we were pleased with the job. Quite neat and tidy and a vast improvement over what things were like before the repairs. Yes, better end product than I had expected. Very pleased especially considering what we were charged. About £220 for both cars in total. The Rover 25 needed both sides doing including the tricky area of the rear wheel arch. That car passed the Mot soon after. The 214's MoT due in a week or so.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Rover 200 / 25

Boy oh Boy... Have I had my fill of sills lately. One of the rear arches on my 620ti may need some welding... Rubbish British cars. It's only just over twenty years old..... :)

My preview shows the six images present. If needs more "adjustment" by moderators as with my previous illustrated posting, please proceed.

421 - 440 of 460 Posts