MG-Rover.org Forums banner
401 - 420 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
stripped a few more bits of the engine bay, along with the loom.

Next job: crawling underneath the grotty thing, to get the gearchange and driveshafts off!

Also posted off the first sets of 300TDi clamps. With any luck he'll have them fitted pretty soon to give us the results :D

(the small length of threaded bolt has been removed for all the others! Phil wanted me to leave something for him to do :p )

·
Registered
rover_25
88 Posts
Bonnet Re-furb Part2

Continued with paintwork on the bonnet, gone from this horror last week:

Which ended up like this:

And onto today's work,

Primer:

2nd coat of paint:

Ran out of paint, hope the shop is open tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,927 Posts
Visiting other sites catering for those Japanese jobbies teaches me that running one would usually require a great deal more than an additional £250 for insurance. Some of the costly repair tales make anything required on any Rover a non-event. Which they mostly are. Those and the Imprezas are turning up in local yards now. Not accident damaged ones, MoT failures and other costly repairs making owners decide to get rid.

What was wrong with the Turbo 25 making you decide to sell up?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,927 Posts
The stuff has reappeared in my Coolant Expansion Bottle.

K-SEAL or STEEL SEAL remnants from this being put into the cooling system in previous ownership. It is tenacious stuff which is what it's supposed to do. Thought I had got it out last time but no. Bought this car back in 2012 as a spares and repair car needing Cylinder Head Gasket renewed. Thoroughly flushed the cooling system and filled with 50-50 OAT A/F after the job.

All well for some months then saw some metallic particles collecting around the MAX-MIN indexes on the plastic bottle. That was some time ago and I checked the bottle again recently to see more of the stuff stuck to the insides of the Expansion Bottle. I had cleaned the original ~ now spotless ~ so carefully removed the one on the car, collecting the A/F for reuse as it was quite clear ~ then fitted the clean replacement and replaced the collected A/F.

That's better ~ see attached pictures ~ but, I wonder if more of the stuff is still lurking within the engine and will make its way up into the spotless Expansion Tank as happened now twice previously. The final picture is of the cleaned Tank after a twenty mile run. No sign of any "stuff". That's better. I will monitor.

No car of mine will have a dirty Coolant Expansion Tank ... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
K-SEAL or STEEL SEAL remnants from this being put into the cooling system in previous ownership. It is tenacious stuff which is what it's supposed to do. Thought I had got it out last time but no. Bought this car back in 2012 as a spares and repair car needing Cylinder Head Gasket renewed. Thoroughly flushed the cooling system and filled with 50-50 OAT A/F after the job.

All well for some months then saw some metallic particles collecting around the MAX-MIN indexes on the plastic bottle. That was some time ago and I checked the bottle again recently to see more of the stuff stuck to the insides of the Expansion Bottle. I had cleaned the original ~ now spotless ~ so carefully removed the one on the car, collecting the A/F for reuse as it was quite clear ~ then fitted the clean replacement and replaced the collected A/F.

That's better ~ see attached pictures ~ but, I wonder if more of the stuff is still lurking within the engine and will make its way up into the spotless Expansion Tank as happened now twice previously. The final picture is of the cleaned Tank after a twenty mile run. No sign of any "stuff". That's better. I will monitor.

No car of mine will have a dirty Coolant Expansion Tank ... :D
I want an Exp tank that clean. I wouldn't mind my whole engine bay that clean.

On a side note, I changed the IMG today to get rid of my white smokey behind coupled with coolant loss and the cam cover gasket leaking oil. When I removed this it was in a terrible state. All the black foamy plastic was flaking off etc. If I remember I will get a picture up of it.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,526 Posts
I polished my headlights as they become so yellow and light output was poor.

Here is a picture to see the difference:

I spent 1 hour with cordless Bosch drill and Meguiar's 1 step headlight restoration kit (G1900) and a bottle of water. Water was for me not for the work.

I would say that result is more than obvious. I am pretty pleased with it.

Picture is provided with courtesy of my youngest daughter.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Congratulations @Roverlike!
No point to argue about the difference! :rocker:
Nice looking lights again.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,526 Posts
Roverlike how much did you pay for the polish ?
I paid £30.92 for the restoration kit delivered to me. Cordless battery drill I have as my own tool. Gtechniq C1+C2 cost me some £50 delivered to me.
Work is my own.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Did you take off the lights out of the bumper to do the trick?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,526 Posts
Did you take off the lights out of the bumper to do the trick?

Everything was done in situ. No removing of anything. That is the beauty of the job.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Thumbs up again! :broon:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lubed up the clutch arm where it goes into the gearbox cos it was getting stiff again. At some point I really need to remove the box and fix it once and for all...
Also checked the oils and coolant and topped up the engine oil.

·
Registered
mg_zr
11 Posts
stripped wings off and inner wheel arches bumpers front and back, bonnet off resprayed the lot over a period of 4 weeks made a new front badge for the car and turned my ratty MGZR back into the car i bought for £200, now with167k on th clock and not a lot of rot

401 - 420 of 460 Posts