MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Firstly, Hi. I've been the reading this forum all week and you all sound like a nice bunch of people. I think you all have better cars than me too.

I bought an MG on Saturday and she's a horrid little cow!
I took her out and I kept stalling, I couldn't reach the clutch properly, my back was hurting and I hated the constant concentration. I have been driving for a while now, a Micra, and I loved that to bits. I now feel like the MG is a complete waste of money and a nasty little thing. The heating switch is crap. I only have 3 options and no combination settings.

My username is HardCandy because that perfectly describes the car. She is dark purple, like candy, looks sweet but in fact is a first class female dog. Not to mention spoilt! She is parked on wollen carpet in the garage.

Not the best introduction to the forum, but I had to say it, so there you are.

Will I change my mind within a fortnight of driving her?

Also, have I been ripped off? She has done 45k and is a T Reg MGF. And she cost me just under £5k.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
HardCandy said:
I took her out and I kept stalling, I couldn't reach the clutch properly, my back was hurting and I hated the constant concentration. I have been driving for a while now, a Micra, and I loved that to bits.
*Asks the obvious question*

Then WHY did you buy it???..:confused:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

When the sun comes out and the roof is down you'll love it!!
...and you won't need the heater!!

Seriously though....there are always little things to get sorted when buying used cars.

The heater problem is a common one and is very easily sorted. Search the forum and you will find a few threads with the details.

Look at it as a clash of personalities. When you sort out you little differences - you'll be best of buddies.

Wait for the sunshine and enjoy!!!!...

:bgrin2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.
Also, and I know I'm going to be frowned upon now, but what's the difference between an F and a TF?

I don't have an effing clue about cars but am determined to become a Car Bore so that I can throw it all back in my BMW 5-series-when it's not parked-it breaks down somewhere anyway-driving brother's face.

G

·
krisxf said:
*Answers the obvious question*

Cos these cars are the dogs dangley parts! :)
But surely you test drove the car? Testdriving would have given you a feel for the driving position, whether it was a short testdrive or a long one.

By the way, I used to stall my TF a lot - it took a while to get used to where the bite was and remembering that my TF needed more revs to pull away in.

Fs are the earlier model - up to 2002 I believe, then the F was facelifted to look more 'masculine/aggressive' and the suspension was changed from hydrogas to conventional springs...along with a host of other things, becoming the TF model which was produced until the big bang last year.

Oooh edited to add....hello!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
krisxf said:
*Answers the obvious question*

Cos these cars are the dogs dangley parts! :)
Thats not what I meant Krisxf!!..

He/she has bought a car, not knowing (or checking) if its a good price, they by their own admission cant reach the pedals (WTF??), and they dont like driving it, and loved their last car..... A Nissan Micra!!.

They then come on here slagging the car off because of THEIR bad choice!!!

To ask the question again!!....... WHY buy the car?????

·
Registered
115 Posts
No idea if you are stalling cos something wrong with the car or you new to it!
Remember when I first got my MGF a few months back there were times I hated driving it. Constant worry because it was so much more valuable than my old wreck I used to drive etc etc. Now it is my daily drive and its great.
Hope you get to love your car, give it a bit more time.
I know the interior is basic, even I coming from a e-reg astra noticed that!!
But that is not really what a MGF is about.
It is about...
MID engined, where an engine should be. According to racing driver people I know.
Small car but with relatively big engine, lots of acceleration.
Hood down, hood up really easily.
My little racing car but road legal.
Thats what I think anyway after 3 months!!!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
HardCandy said:
determined to become a Car Bore so that I can throw it all back in my BMW 5-series-when it's not parked-it breaks down somewhere anyway-driving brother's face.

??? :confused: :dunno:

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Marl.L said:

He/she has bought a car, not knowing (or checking) if its a good price, they by their own admission cant reach the pedals (WTF??), and they dont like driving it, and loved their last car..... A Nissan Micra!!.

Sorry fella,

I only said it out of jest! :fim:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,285 Posts
I think every new 135 TF owner stalls their car more times since they past their diving test when they first have the car.

G

·
Marl.L said:

I have to agree with you in a way, Mark. Driving a Micra then buying an F is like chalk and cheese...its like buying a pushbike then buying a motorbike and moaning about the lack of a wicker basket on the front of the handlebars!!!!

Fs are special mid-engined rear wheel drive sportscars......completely different in everyway from a Micra or any other small car!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marl.L said:

First of all, it's a she. In your next coffee breakl, read my profile.

I bought the bloody thing on a whim, I didn't even test-drive it. But, according to you lot, there are some wonderful things about grinning to be said about an MG and so I'm banking on that.

As for reaching the pedals, it's not my fault the stupid seat controls are so stiff!!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
HardCandy said:

I bought the bloody thing on a whim, I didn't even test-drive it. But, according to you lot, there are some wonderful things about grinning to be said about an MG and so I'm banking on that.

As for reaching the pedals, it's not my fault the stupid seat controls are so stiff!!
Thats hilarious! I've just read your profile! God help anyone who goes up against you in court in the next few days! :lol:

G

·
krisxf said:
I didn't when I got mine, just knew I had to have one no matter what it was like to drive. :)
I'm sorry but there is no way I could buy a car without testdriving it first. If I hadn't, I'd be driving around in my first choice, a very very very uncomfortable and totally stripped out Elise now....WITH BACKACHE AND MOANING THAT I COULDN'T REACH THE PEDALS!!! Or get in and out of it without looking like an eejit.

G

·
As you are a lawyer I'd expect more commonsense!!! Studying for my law degree its something I have always thought to be important.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Andie B said:
I have to agree with you in a way, Mark. Driving a Micra then buying an F is like chalk and cheese...its like buying a pushbike then buying a motorbike and moaning about the lack of a wicker basket on the front of the handlebars!!!!

Fs are special mid-engined rear wheel drive sportscars......completely different in everyway from a Micra or any other small car!
LOL That made me laugh. I am whining a lot about it, aren't I.
i should perhaps give it a chance and see what you all rave about. Which other sports car can you get in 5 grand anyway.

I did test drive the MX5, and it is a complete pile of poo. It's so low off the ground! And it felt like I was driving Fred Flintstone's car.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
HardCandy said:

he he he - I'm liking this person!!

Give the car a chance........it'll be better when it's sunny and you're turning heads!

Edit to add - "And you get the seat in the right position!"

1 - 20 of 372 Posts