MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few days i'll must change the oil. I thought that i can replace the water pump, thermostat and the water hoses because i think that they are not been replaced yet. my car has done about 80000 miles so far. What do you think? It is a good idea and what other parts is good to replace? (i have already replaced all the belts).

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
be sides the usal service items , plugs pads disks (more of case of checking the brakes) wiper blades might need replacing if worn , but id say youve covered most avenues

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply.I forgot to say that i am replacing these parts to prevent a HGF. Are there any other parts whitch i must to replace to prevent a HGF or at least to minimize the chance to have a HGF?

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
To prevent a HGF I'd say to replace the coolant (a good one and mixed with demineralized water in 50/50) every 3 years (or 5-6 years if you use the OAT XLC), make then a pressure test to the cooling system and replace only the components that show a leak (small today, bigger next month).

Look for the expansion reservoir cap and replace it in case ou doubt (valve not centered with the black plastic of the cap), replace the water pump when you replace the timing belt and tensioner and check the oil and coolant levels every month.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the expansion cap already replaced. So you say that is good to replace the water pump. I will replace the thermostat too and replace the coolant. Do you thing that there is no need to replace the coolant rubber hoses and the radiator? They are not loosing any water at all but i thought because of they age is good to replace them.

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
But you have already replaced all the belts, are you going to replace "again" the cam kit?

When you replace the coolant and make the flushes you'll see how are the hoses and tubes and also the radiator. I think that there is no need to replace what is in good shape (besides the timing kit and water pump), unless the pressure test says that it isn't.

I have all the rubber hoses and the original radiator since 1993, and 152k miles after that they are still working fine. Cannot say the same regarding the metal tubes (that one that goes around to the back of the engine - to the thermostat) and the radiator upper tube (on a 111)... both detected with the pressure test in different occasions.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have already replaced the belts only (total 3 belts), but i don't have replaced the water pump and thermostat. It is too difficult and expencive to replace the water pump and the thermostat? I thought that the radiator and the hoses needs to be replaced too because they are 9 years old but as you said they don't need to be replaced if they are in good condition so i will not replace them.
thank you for yours reply's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts