MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered got this very ineffective ball joint splitter = small thing ?
anyway just wondered what you guys think is the best, the Fork type? or wind ones ? the one i have is like a mini wind one but the it slips off.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So will the Fork type damage the lower ball joint ?? it looks like the easy one ,,put it on wack with hammer etc but i have seen a few use the wind one etc ?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
One sharp tap with a hammer on the side of the ball joint.

the shock will make it just jump out ..honest.

you only revert to splitters ..if this does not work .
nine times out of ten it does.

those wedge type splitter things damage the boot.

all the best...mark

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
jasonc46 said:
So will the Fork type damage the lower ball joint ?? it looks like the easy one ,,put it on wack with hammer etc but i have seen a few use the wind one etc ?

Yes, it splits the boot. They are great for shifting old knackered balljoints, If the joint is being removed to access sommat else, either tap the thing the joint connects to or use the scissors type.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,927 Posts
jasonc46 said:
Just wondered got this very ineffective ball joint splitter = small thing ?
anyway just wondered what you guys think is the best, the Fork type? or wind ones ? the one i have is like a mini wind one but the it slips off.
In a breaker yard when say I want to remove a complete hub, I use a pair of the tapered forks ...and a 4lbs club hammer .... for speed and yes, it can damged the swivels boot or even the metal taper itself. About a fiver each from machine mart etc.

In the DIYer garage, I use the taper splitter as this provides much more control. So if you wish to reuse components less chance of damaging them. 8.00 quid from machine mart - not bad quality despite cheapness - or about 12 quid for a better quality more 'powerful' item.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.