MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically my girlfriend wants the new shape MGF, and I was wondering as I will be looking at one tommorrow, if there is anything major I should look out for. Do these have the K series in (T reg). Also do I need to listen or feel for anything on the test drive. Any Help would be grately appreciated. Many thanks

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
dixie200 said:
Basically my girlfriend wants the new shape MGF, and I was wondering as I will be looking at one tommorrow, if there is anything major I should look out for. Do these have the K series in (T reg). Also do I need to listen or feel for anything on the test drive. Any Help would be grately appreciated. Many thanks
Firstly a `T` reg is not a `New shape` MGF........ the model did not change untill 2000, then in 2002 changed to the MGTF...... and they ALL have the `K` series engine.

Other than the usual checks you would make with ANY second hand car, look out for the following..

Engine..... Cross contamination of oil/water (HGF).

Hood..... Good fit, no holes, windows form a good seal against roof rubbers (not overlap), also check rear screen for cracks and `fogging`..

Interior...... check for dampness to carpets, (also boot), and ALL electrics, ie windows, C/locking, Fan works on ALL speeds etc,etc.

Test drive..... Make sure car does not `pull to the left` or steering feels heavier to the right (Expensive EPAS fault), also does the car `drive true` ie not wandering or feeling vague!.....

Ride height..... MGFs have Hydagas suspension (As Metro), check wear to front inner edges of tyres, and as a rough guide to the ride height being correct you should be able to get 3 fingers between the top of the tyre and the underside of the wheel arch (front only)........ any less could indicate car needs a re-gas, this may also be indicated by the excess wear to inner tyre edges (camber).

Good luck.

·
Banned
39 Posts
"Test drive..... Make sure car does not `pull to the left` or steering feels heavier to the right (Expensive EPAS fault), also does the car `drive true` ie not wandering or feeling vague!....."

now i know a man who can fix this fault quite cheap eh "chris trons"?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Marl.L said:
Test drive..... Make sure car does not `pull to the left` or steering feels heavier to the right (Expensive EPAS fault), also does the car `drive true` ie not wandering or feeling vague!.....
Uh oh, i think i have this feeling on my 400 (96), could it be the same fault? Ive noticed it more after my crash.......

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Different system on the 400. The MGF has electric power steering - mainly, I guess, because the engine is at the back of the car, and the steering mechanism is at the front.

400 will have standard engine driven power steering pump.

As for vague steering, make sure the tracking is ok - a tyre place will be able to check it for you (sometimes for free)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts