MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My MGF went to a local garage over 3 weeks ago (I know, takes the P doesn't it) for....replacement valves, new camblet & pulley (i think) & a skimmed Head (& any other work they haven't told me about yet)

When I finally pick up my car in the next couple of days I'll probably be alone (Yes, a female alone going to a garage) so TBH I'm a little scared to what they'll charge & say....BUT....

What general advice do you have for me? I.e.....

- Read invoice before paying
- Check around car
- Listen for noises when starting her up (What noises?!)

Any help much appreciated!!!!!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Only advice I can offer is to check with them what the book said regarding labour and what they actually are charging you for. If the book says less hours, I would want to know why it took longer and why should you be paying them extra for slow work.

TBH I have a very good relationship with the garage I use. If they have skimmed the head then they will have done the Head Gasket too. A head skim should come in at around the 75quid mark. Mine did anyway.

The garage in N.Yorks charged me 930 for:

4yr service (which included the cam belt and brake fluid change)
Replacement water pump
Head Skim
HG replaced
Front brake pads changed (mintex not OEM)

All in all they spent 15 hours on it, but charged me for 11.5 as that was the book time aparently)

If you are having valves replaced then its going to be a bit more I would think.

Only advice is to get out there and drive it. If you are not happy with the way its running get back to them ASAP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

Craynerd - They were taking so long as they were apparantly waiting for the Head.

Iaross - all your info is really useful, how would I be able to check their book for labour? Do I just ask what their standard level agreement is?

Yeah just checked with Dad and he said would be a head gasket too, so I'm probably looking at the other side of 1k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts