MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt_260
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No it's not a trick question!!! I need some paint for my wifes mondeo, when she bought the car she was told that it's Panther black. But I've just bought some Panther black from Halfords and it doesn't match, the car is metallic black and Panther black isn't!!! The code is BAP but I can't find out what colour that is!

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I would recheck that as Ford codes are usually only 1 letter and then the others cover the trim. B is White so it's not that but it could be ones of these, Levante Grey, Dark Aubergine, Ash Black, or just Black. If you can double check the paint code I can tell you which it is.

·
Registered
mg_zt_260
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, i have found that Ford paint codes are usually letters and numbers, But this one does only seem to have 3 letters BAP. I looked at the sticker on the drivers door pillar, The code is in a box on the bottom of the sticker. I did think it might be Ash black, But I would like to know for sure!!! If you have any more thoughts about this I would like to hear them.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Well since Rover shut up shop I now work in the parts department of Ford. What year is your Mondeo or a picture would confirm it for me, It could be a special colour and I dont have that info to hand till Tuesday when I go back to work. But I can double check on Tuesday if you want.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
As Sejin26 says, what year Mondeo is it.

I had a 1997 Mondeo ST24 and that was Panther Black, which is a metallic black.

It is still used to this day, but I would guess that, as with MG Rover, there were different variations throughout the years.

·
Registered
mg_zt_260
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, It is a 1999 model, I don't think I could I could show the paint properly in a picture, But it definately is metallic black. Perhaps the paint that I bought is faulty?
I hope it's not a special colour!! I also wish that the car was an ST!! It's very slow compared to my Ti!!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
As its a 1999 model, it is definitely Panther Black, and would be the first incarnation of the colour.

IIRC, Panther Black was a launch colour for the facelift Mondeo, and went on to be available on the rest of the Ford range.

·
Registered
mg_zt_260
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, Must be a bad tin of paint, They've forgotten to put the shiny bits in!
I better get to a Ford dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the help and advice.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Try a body shop.

They will quite often be able to mix you up an aerosol for about a tenner, that will exactly match your car, from a selection of colour charts.

Hope this helps

Rik

·
Registered
mg_zt_260
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Soothing yes, But not a good match!!!
It seems that there's about 4 different Panther blacks, Just got to find the right one!!! Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
halfords has a colour matching expert who will pop out to your car and get the right colour... not sure how much it'll cost like...
here in Hull, there's a place called Fussies, who charge £7.50 for a tin of matching colour...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts