MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

My LE500 has begun to fail to start sometimes. It turns over fine maybe twice, then there is a sharp scrape/grind noise then it stops turning over.

I can start it if I catch it quickly and stop turning the key before the angry noise.

Starter motor? It was recently replaced, if so I shall be having words as to why it is failing again.

Could anyone confirm if poss?

Many thanks

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
I'm afraid that does sound like a starter motor problem.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply IanMc, I suspected as much. Do you know of any potential root cause that may lead to the starter motor failing twice within 6 months? Wondering if there is a deeper issue, it's just bad luck, or whether the mechanic cut corners. :unsure:

·
Registered
mg_tf
488 Posts
Was the starter replaced for the same reason this one seems to failing on? if so it may not be the starter that's the issue. It could be the ring gear failing, not common with pre-engaged starters but there aren't many other components
involved in turning the engine while starting

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mgbob. The previous starter was replaced because it started failing gradually over about 6 months, where it wouldn't turn over sometimes but would other times, then finally stopped completely.

This time it started playing up 2 days ago very abruptly and instead of not turning over at all, it is turning but making this noise. The noise is like when you turn the ignition when the engine is already running.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,680 Posts
I think at this stage I would be tempted to remove the starter and see if you get a look at the state of ring gear as I agree with mgbob it sounds like there could be some damage.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 dumb but vital questions:

a) Where on earth do I look to find the starter motor?
b) What is the ring gear and how do I identify it?

I would like to take a look myself and investigate the advice given above before going back to the mechanic.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,155 Posts
2 dumb but vital questions:

a) Where on earth do I look to find the starter motor?
b) What is the ring gear and how do I identify it?

I would like to take a look myself and investigate the advice given above before going back to the mechanic.

Cheers :)
a) starter motor can be seen from left side of boot area if you remove the carbon canister. From engine bay look down from the left below the air box.
b) ring gear is usually on the flywheel

Check this thread for starter removal

There is no saying your recently replaced starter motor isn't faulty, it could also be the wrong one has been fitted, not sure but I believe they have a different amount of teeth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts