MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I've got a Rover 416i ('N' reg), and as far as I know it has never had a new clutch. I moved from a 1.9 diesel Peugeot 306 to this car and can't believe the difference between the Peugeot's clutch and this one. It seems pretty fierce, and a lot harder to make smooth gear changes compared with the Peugeot. I just wondered if anyone knows of the usual signs that a clutch is on its way out, and if this is one of them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link mate, but I don't have problems putting the gearstick into the gear slots, it's just a bit fierce when I release the clutch and put my foot down on the throttle when I've changed gear.

·
Registered
rover_600
156 Posts
I have that in my 214, is it the sharp 'back of the seat' moment when you first put your foot down when engaging any gear? I have it, and just got used to it....never known if its supposed to be like that or not.......

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you tried accelerate from standing in 2nd gear instead of 1st gear, the car would jump and jolt forward. When I change gear and press down on the throttle, it's that kind of jolting, as if you've released the clutch and then put your foot down on the throttle too quickly. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
A snatchy clutch is a common trait on the K series. It's usually down to the driver not exercising proper clutch control. The bite is usually high on the clutch and it's at this point when setting off that most people just let the clutch fly up causing the clutch to snatch and jerk.
You need to learn to let then clutch out smoothly all the way to the top. Try pivoting your foot off the clutch rather than just lifting your foot.

There is also a clutch mod in the 'how do I' section that helps, but this only works on cable clutches.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. It's usually jumpy over 25mph as well though, changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. It just seems to be excessively sensitive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts