MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,733 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I saw a very nicely customised 200 Coupé the other day with side skirts, MG badging and a different grille - I suspect it was off an MG ZR.

It was very well done - none of these half-baked jobs you often get with customisation. It looked really very good indeed.

To be honest, I've always felt the Rover 200 Coupé should have come with a different nose - possibly with pop-up headlamps - and different rear lamps and been branded as an MG.

It would have done two things: boosted the name of MG when it was being relaunched anyway, and allowed Rover to continue to sell the Coupé for a longer period after the 200 had been superceded with the bubble cars, without it being discounted by the public for being out of date.

But there you go. All water under the bridge now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,970 Posts
boxwellm said:
To be honest, I've always felt the Rover 200 Coupé should have come with a different nose - possibly with pop-up headlamps - and different rear lamps and been branded as an MG.
I agree with the pop-up headlamps but I do not agree that it should have been sold as an MG. Rovers are seen as "old peoples cars" as it is, even if they had the "cool" Rover 200 coupe years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,371 Posts
boxwellm said:
To be honest, I've always felt the Rover 200 Coupé should have come with a different nose - possibly with pop-up headlamps - and different rear lamps and been branded as an MG.
Can't remember if they when it became so, but pop-up headlamps are illegal these days. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
sadtosee said:
Can't remember if they when it became so, but pop-up headlamps are illegal these days. :(
I dont actually think they are 'illegal' its just that changes to the law mean they are not viable anymore. Plus they create a lot of drag when 'up.' I could be wrong but this was my understanding of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,371 Posts
mannors007 said:
I dont actually think they are 'illegal' its just that changes to the law mean they are not viable anymore. Plus they create a lot of drag when 'up.' I could be wrong but this was my understanding of it.
It's to do with pedestrian safety. The actual pop-ups are not illegal as such - but a big bit of glass and metal sicking up from the bonnet is. This is why cars like the MX5, NSX, Prelude etc. quietly dropped them when facelifted or replaced.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top