MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having stood for awhile this passed month, I found that the rear offside carpets were saturated !
The car is fitted with a factory fitted electric sunroof and one thought is that the rain got in through here. But why is only the rear offside passenger carpet wet.
If it's the sunroof leaking where does the water drain to ? also if the sunroof drain is blocked where is the drain hole ? is it the hole in the front corner of the aperture , above the driver's head ?
Any help or thought's welcome
Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
mg_tf
269 Posts
Sunroofs are a pain, and in an ideal world, well worth steering clear of!
As I recall, the drains are in the front corners and comprise of tubes which exit at the rear of the front wheel arches - behind the plastic wheel arch panels. This is a bit/of a memory test, but I think their termination there is via. a slotted rubber ‘union’, this union allowing water to run out,( if not blocked) but minimise the risk of water entering.
If this were mine, I would be lifting the carpets up on the off side and it’s likely you will find water ingress along the floor - and the wiring harness? - although that may be on the near side. Think the kick panel may have to be removed to get to the wheel arch termination point. Whatever you do on one side is well worth doing on the other side.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
rover_600
98 Posts
A temp solution to the problem is to put 2” pvc adhesive tape around the joint sunroof to roof. Then it’s a dehumidifier I got 6 gallons our the gold tourer back in October.
The drains are in several places the two front ones are quite high up on the inside wheel arch there is a plastic spigot which the rubber hose pushes over. I have found the application of expanding epoxy glue, the American stuff it comes in a bottle, sorry I can’t remember the name, alight coating on the outside of the spigot and sliding the hose over did the job cleaned the whole area with brake cleaner.
Both the front drains exit the car on the floor behind the wheel arch liner.
There is a great how to guide on the web site think it may have been by artic well worth the read.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the plenum in the engine bay, if it has water its probably coming in from the cabinet air filter with is down there too !
Had the exact same problem last month
And to dry it quicker pull the back seat up a bit and dry under the carpet, there should be a ton of water there
Cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies. After my panic was over I went on internet and also found YouTube videos about 'my problem' !
The rear carpet is nearly dry but with this storm I haven't been able to get out to clear the drain holes. I doesn't help that my old car cover is no longer water proof ! New cover now on order.
Peter

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 75 had unions on the firewall, up under the dash in the 2 corners, they join the tubes coming from the sun roof to an outlet tube in the inner guard. The tube from the sun roof was a push in seal made of white electrical tape...made to fail. Remove tape fill and joint with silastic. (a test of agility)
There was about 3" of thick sponge, under the carpet, that can hold a bucket of water. Mine over flowed into the rear passenger well also. Even if the carpet looks dry, the sponge material can be saturated. Taking the carpet out is painful. So you could test with a small drill through the plastic floor drains.

·
Registered
rover_600
98 Posts
You can put a dehumidifier in the drivers floor well or the passenger floor well or in the rear if an estate it will remove all the water from the sponge underlay and the carpets.
I got 6 gallons out of an estate car with this problem, after fixing the water ingress.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts