MG-Rover.org Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Good to hear that its going well mate - Ive just hit 60K in mine.

Had the cambelt, waterpump etc changed earlier in the year.

Fantastic car.

Although, recently, my ABS,Traction and Stability control warnings all lit up. Its booked in at Leicester MG on 16th December for that to be fixed and an mot.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Out of interest, what are parts costs like on the MG6? I've heard they are quite expensive compared to the original mg cars. For my zs, say from ECP (different brands available so not trying to start an "I got one cheaper for the zs" discussion here), I can get around the following prices, how does the 6 compare?

Oil filter £5
Air filter £7
Fuel filter £10
Brake pads £15-20
Brake disks £15-25
Sparks (each) £5<
Exhaust back box £65...
MG6 TCi Tech 1.8 petrol uses a standard K Series Oil Filter, can't speak for air filter but am sure the standard fuel filter will work. Brake pads and disks on front are MG ZT/Rover 75 (not 190) rear are MG ZT/BMW Z4 pads with MGZT 190 disks and handbrake shoes. My car runs none standard spark plugs as it is LPG but I would bet for petrol it uses the same plugs as a K series as it also uses K series coil packs and spark plug leads. Don't know about the back box but as your price is for a pattern part I am sure one can be had that will fit for a similar price.

It is an inexpensive car to run and maintain, although headlight bulbs are hard to fit and number plate bulbs on the Magnette are a pain to access.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
148 Posts
Not to upset anyone but I am a little confused, how come one minute you are going to buy an MG 6 then you want to buy a GS. I think you just want to pick holes in them, are you some sort of wheel kicker?

The GS and 6,s are completely different, I would rather have my 6 than a GS that's my preference, I think the GS is a good motor but not for me.
MG,s are what they are, a true MG fan is a true MG fan.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Not to upset anyone but I am a little confused, how come one minute you are going to buy an MG 6 then you want to buy a GS. I think you just want to pick holes in them, are you some sort of wheel kicker?

The GS and 6,s are completely different, I would rather have my 6 than a GS that's my preference, I think the GS is a good motor but not for me.
MG,s are what they are, a true MG fan is a true MG fan.
Check the date of the posts, read the posts. It will all become clear....

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Third MOT today and the car passed without issue, to be honest it is driving beautifully without a squeak or a rattle which is pretty good at 81k in my book. The interior looks like new and the paintwork is still superb with barely a stone chip. I have a full set of 17" wheels with new tyres from a MK2 MG6 to fit when I have finally worn out the fitted tyres, I may refurb the original wheels and fit with winter tyres or possibly just sell them on.

My appreciation for the car has led to me buying a new MG3 direct from Longbridge a few weeks ago and I am so far equally delighted with it. Looking like this car is here for the full journey, from China to the scrapper in my hands!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
My LPG MG6 will pass 90k miles this month with nothing worn out other than the usual consumables. Proving to be substantially more robust than my ZT that I took from new to 120k miles. At 90k the ZT was looking tired inside and out and had an appetite for wheel bearings.

Fitted some MKII 17" wheels yesterday even though the originals are still good and barely marked. I have put the twists on eBay if anyone wants some.

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
6 years old, 98,500 miles and still going strong. Had it's 4th MOT yesterday and passed with no advisories, although I did have to change a front wheel speed sensor first. Cost £36 and was available from stock at my local MG dealer, easy enough to fit needing just an 8mm spanner.

Car will be going into Maple Garage on Tuesday for its annual service, not cheap but I am sure they are a sizable part in this cars reliability so I can't stop using them now!

Drivers door window has become noisy in operation, looks like a faf to sort out so I expect I will live with it for now.

I have booked a test drive in a ZS auto whilst my MG6 is being serviced, it is going to have to be exceptional though if it is going to replace my MG6 or even our MG3.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Davidj - it will be interesting to see what you think of the "ZS". I had the same pairing as you, and I reckon the MG6 is the last proper MG, unless SAIC get their act together. Not a perfect car, but the 6 did have a lot going for it. My thoughts regarding the "ZS" are elsewhere on the forum, so I won't say it all again. I wonder if you are looking at the little Turbo or the 1.5. It was the Turbo that I drove.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Davidj - it will be interesting to see what you think of the "ZS". I had the same pairing as you, and I reckon the MG6 is the last proper MG, unless SAIC get their act together. Not a perfect car, but the 6 did have a lot going for it. My thoughts regarding the "ZS" are elsewhere on the forum, so I won't say it all again. I wonder if you are looking at the little Turbo or the 1.5. It was the Turbo that I drove.
It was a day of mixed emotions, first of all the drivers door window regulator gave up the ghost. Then a broken rear spring was identified.

Fortunately the spring was in stock and was fitted whilst I waited, but a simple service turned into a 5+ hour wait and a couple of hundred on the bill.

Window is jammed up and for now will stay that way as it is a £300 dealer fix.

MG ZS test drive, from some angles I like the looks and others I don't. The 1litre turbo auto is a great combination, I loved it. I didn't love the ride/handling/steering. It was ok when pressing on but not to my taste when just running around. Performance was great, belies the on paper figures. Granted there is no more than enough, but I only need "enough".

Maple were good enough to allow me a back to back with a GS auto. In my book a different class, ride/handling/steering were much more involving. Performance was ace, but gearbox is not as slick as the ZS and the engine is less refined/louder.

I came away excited at the prospect of owning a GS auto. Somewhat deflated by my trade in value though. I bought the MG6 knowing it was not a resale proposition and it has now been confirmed.

Will the GS be the same story? I know of no Recent MGs that have held there money, my ZT was £1k at trade in my TF £900 at trade in and my 6 £2k at 6 years old.

I don't think I can justify £19k for a top spec GS auto (after £2k deposit contribution and 0% finance for 4 years). To be told once again it is worthless in a few years time.

My 6 has a new mot and following the service drives great again. For now I will pursue my "from China to the scrapper policy" but I will be looking out for a GS exclusive auto in white, just on the offchance 😉.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Trade In Values

It has been my experience over the years, that 'Trade In' values are always way below the price you would acheive if selling the car privately.

If the convienience of swapping the cars over at the same place and time is that important, well ok, but grin and bear it, don't blame the cars.

If price however, is the true motivator, get the cars cleaned up and advertise them. It sounds as though you look after your cars, so reap the benefit of that care yourself, don't pass it on to a dealer.

·
Registered
rover_45
18 Posts
It was a day of mixed emotions, first of all the drivers door window regulator gave up the ghost. Then a broken rear spring was identified.

Fortunately the spring was in stock and was fitted whilst I waited, but a simple service turned into a 5+ hour wait and a couple of hundred on the bill.

Window is jammed up and for now will stay that way as it is a £300 dealer fix.

MG ZS test drive, from some angles I like the looks and others I don't. The 1litre turbo auto is a great combination, I loved it. I didn't love the ride/handling/steering. It was ok when pressing on but not to my taste when just running around. Performance was great, belies the on paper figures. Granted there is no more than enough, but I only need "enough".

Maple were good enough to allow me a back to back with a GS auto. In my book a different class, ride/handling/steering were much more involving. Performance was ace, but gearbox is not as slick as the ZS and the engine is less refined/louder.

I came away excited at the prospect of owning a GS auto. Somewhat deflated by my trade in value though. I bought the MG6 knowing it was not a resale proposition and it has now been confirmed.

Will the GS be the same story? I know of no Recent MGs that have held there money, my ZT was £1k at trade in my TF £900 at trade in and my 6 £2k at 6 years old.

I don't think I can justify £19k for a top spec GS auto (after £2k deposit contribution and 0% finance for 4 years). To be told once again it is worthless in a few years time.

My 6 has a new mot and following the service drives great again. For now I will pursue my "from China to the scrapper policy" but I will be looking out for a GS exclusive auto in white, just on the offchance 😉.
Look how much a top of the range Qashqai costs and you would be getting a bargain. Trade in values and sale values are miles apart and a dealer would like to make at least £1500 - £2000 on your old car. Depreciation from new on all but a few cars is horrific, losing around half the cost in the first year so whatever you buy will most likely go the same way, your original policy was the correct one and keep it until is falls apart to get the best value. The other alternative is buy at 2 sell at 5 years and take advantage of the early losses but sell before the final collapse of value.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thanks for the feedback fellas, after 5 1/2 years since this thread started I thought I was just posting for me.

I take on board your advice, I think I already knew it but nice to bring it back to the front of my memory.

I did miss out a key piece of info, my wife is a vegan and works for an Animal Charity so a leather interior is out of the question. The GS is only available as an auto if you have leather and if I bought a ZS Excite with cloth and auto I would spend my time with it wishing I had the GS.

For now MG Motors restricted option policy is thwarting me, but on the upside the 6 is feeling great again and window aside is back to fighting form.

I am confident that if I could find an unbeatable bargain on a GS exclusive DCT my wife would put aside her objections. Let's face it she made me have a ZT, TF & MG6 all with cloth interiors. That is a decade and a half of just missing out on your perfect car!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Leather interior? I understand about not wanting leather if you're vegan/vegetarian but I'm sure I read somewhere more than once that in the recent MGs including the 6 are pseudo. fake leather. If someone could clarify this? This I'm sure will become more common, event Bentley are looking at alternative leathers as they've had queries from the same perspective. Personally I don't mind second hand leather but wouldn't buy new.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
If MG confirmed this in their brochure then problem solved, beyond that hearsay will not suffice. Whilst MG (& other brands) refer to it as leather it is unacceptable to my wife and I respect her commitment.

I am sure a solution will arise in due course. As for now my target is 100,000 miles in my MG6, should happen in the next few weeks - so standby for a photo of the odometer 🙂.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
100,000 miles came and went! I was on the M60 at the time so no chance of pulling over for a photo till I got to work.

The failed window mechanism was replaced by myself, simple enough job as it turns out. I got a replacement from a breaker and saved myself £250 on the dealer price.

Everything is back to how it should be with the MG6 now and looking and driving great.

Attachments

·
Registered
cityrover
3 Posts
OP here, looks like my account was deleted, tried resetting password and getting shunted round various error messages. If a moderator reads this can I have my old account back please?

Regarding my MG6, up to 116,000 miles now and in for the next service & MOT on Monday.

I have a front fog light out and no time to pull the bumper off right now, I am told front fogs aren't included in the MOT, guess I will find out on Monday.

Other than that, and number plate bulbs - both failed inside a month of each other as gas the offside side light this last year has been uneventful. No problems and still running well on gas at 53p per litre 🙂.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Back as myself, thanks moderators.

Forgot to mention I had a tyre blowout last autumn. Hollywood style, went with a bang and instant deflation, Avon ZV7 215 50 R17 tyre with barely any miles on it. I was gutted!

I got a tpms warning about 2 miles from the end of the M67, I knew there was a petrol station at the end which would be safer than the hard shoulder. I dropped my speed to 50mph and inside lane but about 200 yards from the end of the motorway it exploded big time! Blew a chunk out of the tyre.

Luckily my wheel was undamaged as I was able to pull straight over. Next time I will hard shoulder straight away

Service/MOT results in on Monday, wish me luck.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
MOT passed, advisory on a tyre that I was expecting, front disks and pads I was anticipating. Also advisory on three suspension bushes.

I will do the brakes asap, continue to monitor tyre wear for a little longer and the garage is to quote me for the suspension stuff.

This is the most reliable car I have ever had in 37 years of driving, knocking my ZT & TF into a cocked hat. Way better than my Gen7 Celica I also owned from new.

In 4000 miles it will also be the highest mileage car I have ever owned.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts