MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
rover_45
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day went to drive away from customers house and i had no drive, car would not budge,i tried all the gears, the only gear i hadn't tried was reverse, selected reverse and the car moved back then i found i had drive again, today i went to park car, reversed back up slope into parking space, slight clunk then no drive again, not even reverse. Turned engine off and left car whilst i did a job, when i came back tried car again still nothing, tried to push car back up slope which i could not do so pushed it forward a foot or so and then car had drive again so i was able to get home with no further problem.
The question is, am i looking at a gearbox with missing tooth on a cog or a clutch fault? at the moment i am totally lost for answers.
If anyone has has this problem please let me know

Registered
rover_45
You might want to check that both driveshafts are correctly pushed into the differential.

Registered
rover_45
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would first look into linkage of the gear stick to the gearbox. You might have something so loose that you actualy do not change gears, but moving into nothing.
Will check that but when driving the gears can be selected normally with no indication of any problem, thanka for suggestion.

Registered
rover_45
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When was the g/b oil last checked/ changed?
Never to my knowledge during th time i have owned the car but not sure if my local garage has changed it when doing work on the car, will keep that in mind when i get around to sorting out the problem next week weather permitting. Thanks for suggestion.

Registered
rover_45
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd look at the Gearbox Oil, but prepare yourself for a Selector Fault!
Thanks for advice the car is fine on any journey as long as i don't have to stop, when i do have to, chances are i loose drive until i push the car back or forward about a foot then i have drive again and all gears work fine.

Registered
rover_sd1
Sorry I have come in very late in this thread. Is this a manual or automatic gear box. If automatic you are likely short of ATF,
If CVTl and you cannot feel a distinct lock when selecting gears when stationary then you may have a cvt problem. Look at the cvt sensor. Better still run a full diagnostic to find a fault code,

Registered
Thanks for advice the car is fine on any journey as long as i don't have to stop, when i do have to, chances are i loose drive until i push the car back or forward about a foot then i have drive again and all gears work fine.
Good Luck Mate, I had a CVT box in my ZS that went wrong in a similar way, ended up Sending the box off for repair, However as you get the "Clunk" and you can reengage the Gears by Pushing the Car Back and forth you may have a couple of teeth missing or at least badly worn, if so the box will need to come out for repair or replacement.

Registered
rover_45
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I have come in very late in this thread. Is this a manual or automatic gear box. If automatic you are likely short of ATF,
If CVTl and you cannot feel a distinct lock when selecting gears when stationary then you may have a cvt problem. Look at the cvt sensor. Better still run a full diagnostic to find a fault code,
Hi again Hugh, its a manual box, if it was auto i would know where to look but the only thing i can think is i am missing a tooth in the gearbox, i posted the problem in the hope someone had another idea which didn't mean a lot of expense. Thanks for reply.

Registered
rover_45
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good Luck Mate, I had a CVT box in my ZS that went wrong in a similar way, ended up Sending the box off for repair, However as you get the "Clunk" and you can reengage the Gears by Pushing the Car Back and forth you may have a couple of teeth missing or at least badly worn, if so the box will need to come out for repair or replacement.
Thanks for reply, its a manual box but i reckon you have confirmed my thoughts on tooth missing on a gear.

Registered
Thanks for reply, its a manual box but i reckon you have confirmed my thoughts on tooth missing on a gear.
Hi again Hugh, its a manual box, if it was auto i would know where to look but the only thing i can think is i am missing a tooth in the gearbox, i posted the problem in the hope someone had another idea which didn't mean a lot of expense. Thanks for reply.
Hi Mate, I'm afraid I agree with you, looks like a Recon Job or a Scrappy. Sorry to have to come to this Conclusion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts