MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving along the motorway the other day and i suddenly herd a very loud noise exhaust and engine sound over my music. Thinking it was a motorbike i continued for a mile or so until i realised it was my car !!!! slowed down and luck would have it made it to a turn off the car the started loosing power i pulled over. By now the engine was making a hell of a racket and will not tick over when idol just stalls.

Checked the oil coolant ect.. no problems there so called the AA

AA man arrives .. Out came a new coil pack.... no that wasnt the problem
New Spark plugs... no luck
(There was quite a strong smell of petrol by the way)
Towed me to local (Ex MG) dealer get a phonecall today saying they had done a compression test on the car and that it could be one of the cylinders loosing pressure, And that if its "blown" my warranty will not cover it as that happens due to misuse, but if its broken then i will not have to pay.

That car is 12 months old 05 Plate ZR
11k on the clock
Never been redlined
Never driven over 100 mph
Very well looked after.

What are the chances of a blown cylinder? Anyone else had one ?
If so how much will i be looking at ... i should find out tomorrow the result of the further investigation.

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
does the warranty specifically mention it doesnt include "blown" cylinders - what ever blown means ? is iit a case of leaking head gasket on one cylinder ?

A good hard thrashing dont hurt a K seris either probably does em good

·
Banned
5,073 Posts
It could be anything - mines is a 54 and is falling to bits.

All going well and it will be traded in on Wednesday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if its not your cylinder sounds as if head gaskit has gone same happened with my old astra quick tip check oil cap on head make sure is not foamy like a cappicino if it is its the head

·
Registered
8 Posts
MG3 said:
It could be anything - mines is a 54 and is falling to bits.

All going well and it will be traded in on Wednesday.
Mine was a 54 reg, mine started falling apart in my hands, great looking car tho! despite it dropping to bits.... loved it, just to many things started knocking, rattleing and falling off, including the side skirts!

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
AidenUK said:
Mine was a 54 reg, mine started falling apart in my hands, great looking car tho! despite it dropping to bits.... loved it, just to many things started knocking, rattleing and falling off, including the side skirts!
For that reason alone is why I would only get a pre facelift ZR

·
Registered
35 Posts

I'm considering getting rid of mine, today it's at the garage due to a hissing problem from the alternator, plus i've been thinking for the last couple of days that the petrol smells i keep getting must surely be coming from my car, it seemed quite bad this morning, it honestly seems like one thing after another, as soon as i get one problem sorted another goes tits up. Not even 3 years old, only 17k on the clock and i don't thrash it either, never been above 100mph.

Had a fair old bit of bad luck so far:

both central locking solenoids have been replaced but the new ones are now as bad as the old ones, plus the door panels don't fit smootly now they've been on and off a few times.
Someone ran into my drivers door, resulting in loads of hassle to find a replacement door etc - didn't go through insurance as it was my neighbour, in hindsight i wish i would have done.
The exhaust has had to be repaired - i didn't fancy spending over £100 on a back box, (had a new front tyre while i had the exhaust done, then had to take the car back in due to the balancing being dreadful - didn't mind this i expect to buy new tyres)
today it's in for the hissing noise and now i've fathomed out about the petrol smell

I think the post facelifted models have been a step too far, too much cost cutting by rover to try and keep the ball rolling, lovely design (much better than the pre-facelift i reckon), it was a gamble buying an mg, and although i've had two years out of it and still have a years warranty left there's been too many problems for my liking.

Hopefully the hissing is covered under the warranty and the petrol smell either likewise or it'll be cheap. Wonder what'll be next ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts