MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
MGF 75th Anniversary
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now with temperatures constantly below zero, I face the problem of a slipping clutch, particularly noticeable in 2nd and 3rd gear and above.
Once the engine compartment is heated up this 'feature" disappears. Clutch slave was renewed along with the brake fluid last summer.
Any ideas where this issue could origin from? Anyone else had this before?
Cheers
Marcus

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Could it be a simple matter of temperature size contraction of components (clutch friction plate), meaning the the gap is opened slightly?

Just a thought...

·
Registered
rover_45
564 Posts
Clutch actuating shafts on PG1 gearboxes have a known tendency to seize up - yours may be getting a little stiff & this coupled with thermal contraction could be causing your clutch slip

·
Registered
MGF 75th Anniversary
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it be a simple matter of temperature size contraction of components (clutch friction plate), meaning the the gap is opened slightly?
Just a thought...
Hmmm - my thought was that water has come into somewhere where it now prevents full disengagement when frozen. But where?
It doesn't feel really like a temp expansion-contraction issue.
Mind you, I did drive Moggy in very very rainy weather during my X-mas home trip

·
Registered
MGF 75th Anniversary
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clutch actuating shafts on PG1 gearboxes have a known tendency to seize up - yours may be getting a little stiff & this coupled with thermal contraction could be causing your clutch slip
Fixing that would mean engine out, wouldn' it? Not appreciated :oops:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,451 Posts
I would re-bleed the clutch just in case there has been some moisture or air that has somehow been introduced into the fluid

·
Registered
rover_45
564 Posts
If the clutch shaft is your problem you can usually free them up when stiff using fairly thin oil & lots of waggling (with the slave cylinder moved aside). Once free (ish) it should be lubricated with some thicker oil & then have some grease smeared around the shaft where it enters the gearbox casing.

Any time a PG1 (or it's attached engine) is out of the car these shafts should be removed, cleaned up & lubricated.,

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
160 Posts
I was thinking the same as Ian with heat the metal expands maybe giving the clutch more bite but I don't really buy it.

Sticking clutch release arms are a problem as from the factory there is no easy way to lubricate them, so maybe the arm is not fully releasing when cold but a bit of heat loosens it. If you google "MGTF clutch arm lubrication" you will get loads of ideas about lubricating this without removing the gearbox engine, take your pick. I'm not sure how you check for this I presume if you can pull the arm back (when cold) towards the slave it would show the arm is sticking and the movement would not have to be much to affect the bite.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
936 Posts
I think this suggest has merit, the clutch release fork is known to seize and it could just be extra stiff due to the cold weather. Could try putting some penetrating oil down the clutch release fork shaft

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
160 Posts
I would just add don't go gung ho spraying WD40/grease into the bellhousing area as you will have a slipping clutch!

Little and often, but the tip to apply a good bit of grease around where the shaft enters the casing is a good one as it should help stop moisture getting in

·
Registered
mgf
916 Posts
I was thinking the same as Ian with heat the metal expands maybe giving the clutch more bite but I don't really buy it.

Sticking clutch release arms are a problem as from the factory there is no easy way to lubricate them, so maybe the arm is not fully releasing when cold but a bit of heat loosens it. If you google "MGTF clutch arm lubrication" you will get loads of ideas about lubricating this without removing the gearbox engine, take your pick. I'm not sure how you check for this I presume if you can pull the arm back (when cold) towards the slave it would show the arm is sticking and the movement would not have to be much to affect the bite.
Ya mine won't go into gear when it's minus 3 or 4 degrees. I let her tick over for a while and the heat seems to help. Anyway new clutch went in last summer and I done the modified release arm and I put the grease gun on it and pumped in some grease. We hav'nt had minus degrees here yet so it will be interesting to see if it made a difference. The garage had to cut the old shaft in two to get it out, they phoned me to say they wanted to leave the old one there but I said no and told them to cut it. They did so hope it pays off now in the cold weather

1 - 13 of 13 Posts