MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

have found another leak point in my hood...on the passenger side, where the door, window, body, and hood meet, just above the passenger door handle. The hood doesn't seem to come 'as far forward' as on the drivers side, and in the rain today noticed water ran down into the gap between the door and the body.

I know you can tweak the hexagonal nut at the front of the hood, but doesn anyone know if there is a way to adjust the fitting of the hood elsewhere?

thanks in advance!!

mikef

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Mikef said:
HI All,

have found another leak point in my hood...on the passenger side, where the door, window, body, and hood meet, just above the passenger door handle. The hood doesn't seem to come 'as far forward' as on the drivers side, and in the rain today noticed water ran down into the gap between the door and the body.

I know you can tweak the hexagonal nut at the front of the hood, but doesn anyone know if there is a way to adjust the fitting of the hood elsewhere?

thanks in advance!!

mikef
Short of unriveting it, unpeeling it from the sticky stuff it's stuck on with, drilling new holes to pull it down slightly and reriveting. No, sorry :(

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Mikef said:
HI All,

thanks in advance!!

mikef
This was quite a common leak on older Fs, and was refered to as the `Wet seats` leak (Oh-er).

IF yours is the same the water would either run down the inside of the window from the place you mention, or would drip onto the corner of the seats.

I had this on my old `F` and adjusted the hood clamps, replaced the cantrial hood seals, and the front door-over windscreen seal...... and it STILL leaked in!!..

After a `Top tip` from that nice Mr Satur he told me to remove the door/winscreen seal (the one that starts halfway along the Sill and goes up and over the windscreen), and then `lift it` slightly before re-fitting around the corner of hood/screen/window....... this did the trick and reduced the gap to a point where it only leaked in `Monsoon` conditions..;)

The windscreen seal is held in position on the corners of the windscreen by two pegs which can over time bend/slip allowing the seal to Drop in this area!..

Worth a look anyway.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies chaps, I'll try looking at it...

time to spring for that MS hood cover I guess, and park the car facing downhill...

at least it isn't raining this morning and have just had some topless fun on the way back from the gym.

cheers

mikef

1 - 5 of 5 Posts