MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after chaging the pipe with 'o' rings and the thermostat housing etc i now find my water pump is leaking. the pipe with 'o' rings is fine so it must be pump. (it does squeek on start up)

can anyone tell me if its an easy job to change and what does it involve to do it.

also anyone know what i should expect to pay for one

1991 216 gsi auto, sohc

·
Registered
21 Posts
after chaging the pipe with 'o' rings and the thermostat housing etc i now find my water pump is leaking. the pipe with 'o' rings is fine so it must be pump. (it does squeek on start up)

can anyone tell me if its an easy job to change and what does it involve to do it.

also anyone know what i should expect to pay for one

1991 216 gsi auto, sohc
It will mean quite a bit of work I am afraid. The pump is driven by the cam belt and thus it will mean taking off the belt cover, slackening the belt tensioner etc and as the pump is down the side by the thermostat it won't be an easy reach or change. Patience is a virtue... good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
water pump is not down side of thermostat, thermostat is at other side of engine connected by the daft pipe with o rings on.......

having said that then yes the pump is driven by the belt.

my question is can the water pump be changed easily without changing the belt as the belt was recently done!!!!

would this just be a case of stripping top end down rather than having to take everything inc bottom pulley off!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
To get to the water pump you have to take off the lower plastic cam belt cover which means taking off the bottom pulley I'm afaid. The tensioner will need to be slackened and the belt removed. If you mark the belt and pulleys with paint dots you can be sure to put it back in the correct position. The pump comes off quite easily, just a few bolts. May need to tap it with a hammer if its coroded to the block.
Make sure the seal is correctly seated in its groove when putting the new pump on. When tight spin the pump by hand to make sure the blades on the rotor don't foul inside the block. I had this and had to bend a couple of blades slightly to get clearance.
Pumps should cost about £25 from a motor factor.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

job now done and tickety boo. Although the long bolt that goes to the holding arm for the alternator snapped and we had to get a six foot bar to get the bottom pully off.

Luckily we had use of a friends garage with a ramp so this made things easier. We managed with bolts to lock everything up.

I was lucky with the water pump and Belt (new one fitted anyway whilst off!!!) as i was looking on ebay at prices and saw one listed at 15 quid! when i looked at where it was it was 4 miles down the road from me from a well repected motor factors that is selling off a lot of stock at cost and below as they are now concentrating on workshop equipment and tools, they also sold me the cam belt for a tenner!!! They only had these in stock and no others or i would have mentioned it on here and collected for anyone that needed one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no you don't

basically the water pump is behund the timing belt on the end of the engine. to do it you have to move power steering pump out of the way,take top cover off engine, take engine mount off, take timing belt covers off, take alternator bracket off and if you not changing cam belt you can undo the tensioner and slip belt off top pully and change water pump, if you change cam belt at same time then you need to remove crankshaft pully which on my car was very tight. then after timing up or if you locked your crank and cam in place do the reverse of the above. before putting ack together spin the pump by hand to make sure nothing is catching and then refill and bleed.
sounds easy but don't let that fool you, bolts break!!! crank pully nut very hard to remove but if you patient (i'm not) you'll sort it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts