MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mg zr 1.4 is drinking coolant its not cumming out anywheer its just evaporating sumhow ive had a new exhaust fitted a very small back box n got rid of da centre box so its more a less str8 thro after the cat thing is the bck box makes a nice noise n also a pooping noise liek a rally car shud this hapen n is dis breaking my engiene?? water seems to be cumming out of exhaust is my new exhaust at fault for my car over heating or is it head gasket failure?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ye id say your head gasket is definately gone mate!

The new exhaust would not have caused the head gasket to go in any way. It is just a common fault with these cars for the head gasket to leak.

It sounds lke your hg has blown letting coolant into the cylinders so then it basically comes out of the exhaust.

Get the head gasket changed by a pro as soon as possible and it willl be fine for another 50k ish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cheers mate so wot do you think the popping noise is from the exhaust ? kinda kool but wil it effect my engiene? cheers for da info wil get my head gasket dun asap

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
my mg zr 1.4 is drinking coolant its not cumming out anywheer its just evaporating sumhow ive had a new exhaust fitted a very small back box n got rid of da centre box so its more a less str8 thro after the cat thing is the bck box makes a nice noise n also a pooping noise liek a rally car shud this hapen n is dis breaking my engiene?? water seems to be cumming out of exhaust is my new exhaust at fault for my car over heating or is it head gasket failure?
Can you say that in English!:speakenglish:

·
Registered
mg_zr
8 Posts
ive got a mg zr 1.4 02 plate. ive got the same symtoms. this morning it drunk a bottle and a half of antifreeze. i left it for like 5 mins then went out and topped it up with water i left in running for like 10mins went out and the water level was the same and it wasnt blubbering as much. it had its head replaced and skimmed last year. it might just be the cold but im worried incase its something worse?

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
Water from the exhaust is not a sign of head gasket failure, just condensation. The popping noise on over run will be due to an air leak somewhere, usually the exhaust manifold area.

Big coolant loss with no external signs is often due to a leaking inlet manifold gasket.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,280 Posts
you would need to run tests to see exactly the cause, badly fitted exhaust is looking like most likely cause of the backfire, it can damage engine in some cases, depends on where the air leak is.

Not every cause of coolant loss is HGF, although often in can be, hence you test.

Just a tip, communication is one of the great advances of man kind, please use a recognised language ;-) Most of us here speak english.

·
Registered
mg_zr
8 Posts
the only other thing was when i first started it for about 10 minutes the throttle was very unresponsive i would tap it and it would struggle to rev? but after a while it would go back to normal

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,280 Posts
It sounds like its trying to run on coolant rather than air/fuel, but without having car in from of me its hard to be exact. If it is leaking coolant a common nasty is coolant escapes from head at a blanked off gallery next to no 4, cylinder fills with coolant, in worst cases car appears like it has a flat battery as engine cannot compress a cylinder full of water. inlet manifold is easy but a bit fiddly, a set of wobble bar extensions make getting it on and off a lot easier. Use correct torque on tightening and a radial pattern from centre out.

gaskets are about £5, make sure you get either Xpart (MGR) Payen or Rienz, cheap ones are often incorrect dimensions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts