MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I changed the engine (1.8i) on my Rover 75. I had problems with water loses. New engine works correctly, but the water is still loosing its amount in cooling system.
Do you know where to try to find the problem? Oil is clear, brand new BIXXOL (by OMV), water is not in engine, circulation (heating) is off, but that stupid water is still not there for the longer time ... what to do?
Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you change the radiator with the engine?
radiator ... not.
but me and my serviceman we had found where the water is ..... right in the 4th valve!!!!!! ...once again the same problem.

but I thnik, that maybe the problem is the same like 5 years ago, when the same thing hapened to R 400 416 Si engine. Air presure thrue the cooling system crashed the head gasket and jumped right into the engine.
he pulled out the sparks, and in the 4th valve he found the water, other 3 were dry, only this one. I will try to change head gasket and also stopper of the small water tank of the cooling system. let´s see. last time worked it. I used a stopper of the Renault Laguna. It is there in Rover 416 till today and it works.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Head gasket

radiator ... not.
but me and my serviceman we had found where the water is ..... right in the 4th valve!!!!!! ...once again the same problem.

but I thnik, that maybe the problem is the same like 5 years ago, when the same thing hapened to R 400 416 Si engine. Air presure thrue the cooling system crashed the head gasket and jumped right into the engine.
he pulled out the sparks, and in the 4th valve he found the water, other 3 were dry, only this one. I will try to change head gasket and also stopper of the small water tank of the cooling system. let´s see. last time worked it. I used a stopper of the Renault Laguna. It is there in Rover 416 till today and it works.
You don't mention car or engine type
If it is the 1.8 petrol (K engine) make sure they fit the modified head gasket.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Yeah, I'd say head gasket or water pump - worth checking the pump for stains while the head is off.

How much coolant are you loosing?

As long as the cylinder liner stand proud is within spec, I'd definitely reccomend fitting the Land Rover gasket kit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
each outside part or the engine () is perfect working because they are from the 1st engine. all were brand new, only 10000 km of driving. so i can say, that they all are in perfect condition. water pump is also OK.
I hope that the main problem is that stupid stopper of the water tank, as i wrote last time it was the same problem on Rover 416, I used Renault Laguna´s stopper and it works almost 6 another years.
but this 75 is "Made by BMW" ... I hate german cars ... when it was Honda, it was perfect!
this weekend we will change the head gasket and stopper, I hope not the brand new oil which was for almost 80,- GBP is OK without the water.
let´s see and I wish myself all the best ... is it not quite stupid ... to wish something to myself.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Are you using a Renault coolant tank cap to replace the Rover one? Is that what you mean? It sounds like the Rover one has failed and allowed coolant to boil away then damaging the Head Gasket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you using a Renault coolant tank cap to replace the Rover one? Is that what you mean? It sounds like the Rover one has failed and allowed coolant to boil away then damaging the Head Gasket.
No, I used it (not coolant only stopper) on Rover 400 416 Si 5 years ago. R 75 is about the same problem with water loses as that one 400. it must be the same. but coolant (or radiator) is not the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts