MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seem to be collecting a fair bit of water in the boot after rain?
I can't see anywhere likely the water would be getting in as the boot
covers the entire area, doesn't look like there's anywhere water could
get in apart from if the seal on the rear window is leaking

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Either as above or the rear screen may not be sealed correctly. Last thought is that the boot vent (on the right hand side behind the carpet) may be allowing water in.

Best bet is to dry everything out and use talcum powder to determine the source of the leak.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Boot leak

When you have sorted it drill a drain hole in the wheel well, i can see no reason why you should be able to drive around with gallons of water in there.

·
Registered
rover_75
2 Posts
Water leak in boot Rover 75

Try tightening 3 nuts on light clusters that sorted my leak out as seals were ok.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Also, remove the carpets from either side of the boot. This will expose the clips that hold the trims onto the sides of the rear wings.

Any water staining from these will obviously indicate a problem. Little dab of silicone sealant will cure. Did all of mine as a precaution. As they say, "prevention is better than cure!!!"

Dave.

·
Registered
mg_zt
84 Posts
Only last night I did this and found that not only were the trims and lights causing a slight problem but also one of the vents that allow air out of the boot area. This was in fact the main issue as it had come adrift slightly and water was pouring in when I applied a hose to the bumper/rear panel joint. I therefore removed them from both sides and re-seated them with silicone.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I also had this issue, it turned out to be both gaskets with the light clusters that were split, took them out, cleaned them, dried them on my Rayburn overnight, gave the areas that the gaskets would mate against a thorough clean, and then applied silicone sealant used for fish tanks and the like with low temperature tolerance to the gaskets and the bodywork and re-fitted, not a leak since! I did however check all of the other common areas such as mentioned above

·
Registered
rover_75
1 Posts
Boot Leak

Seem to be collecting a fair bit of water in the boot after rain?
I can't see anywhere likely the water would be getting in as the boot
covers the entire area, doesn't look like there's anywhere water could
get in apart from if the seal on the rear window is leaking

The water ingress in my 75 boot is coming I think from the rear window

·
Registered
rover_75
1 Posts
Had same problem. About 2 inches deep in water in wheel well and carpet soaking wet. Both Light cluster gaskets had a split. Gave them a good clean and also cleaned bodywork and light clusters. Glued splits in gaskets with superglue. Applied roof and gutter sealant to body and light clusters, and refitted. Removed side carpets to reveal two plastic nuts and washers on each side which secure back half of chrome strips removed these and applied roof and gutter sealant to back of washers and refitted. The rear window chrome surround is held in with plastic clips which also can let in water, easy way to sort this is with a product called DR TOLLEYS CREAPING CRACK CURE. When applied arround window rubbers and chrome trim it runs into and seals any small cracks. Costs about £12 but well worth money. I also put it along the chrome side trims on rear wings as getting to other mountings for these was not easy from inside boot. Then finally used it arround boot trim and handle. Took about 2 hours to do and has cured the leak

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had same problem. About 2 inches deep in water in wheel well and carpet soaking wet. Both Light cluster gaskets had a split. Gave them a good clean and also cleaned bodywork and light clusters. Glued splits in gaskets with superglue. Applied roof and gutter sealant to body and light clusters, and refitted. Removed side carpets to reveal two plastic nuts and washers on each side which secure back half of chrome strips removed these and applied roof and gutter sealant to back of washers and refitted. The rear window chrome surround is held in with plastic clips which also can let in water, easy way to sort this is with a product called DR TOLLEYS CREAPING CRACK CURE. When applied arround window rubbers and chrome trim it runs into and seals any small cracks. Costs about £12 but well worth money. I also put it along the chrome side trims on rear wings as getting to other mountings for these was not easy from inside boot. Then finally used it arround boot trim and handle. Took about 2 hours to do and has cured the leak

There's nothing worse than "CREEPING CRACK" don't ask me how I know....... :)

·
Registered
rover_75
1 Posts
seals in rear light cluster causes the water leak

I had a leak in my 75 tourer and traced it back to seals on rear light wiring loom. the left side loom seal had dislodged causing water to flow down the wires into the boot.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I had a leak in my 75 tourer and traced it back to seals on rear light wiring loom. the left side loom seal had dislodged causing water to flow down the wires into the boot.
Take care you don't go the same way as FOXBURY. Post--10----------:minxy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I've found this thread because I have a boot full of water.

My boot seal is due for the bin and I've ordered a new one.

At the moment, it appears to be the seal and I'm also seeing mould in the carpet around the lights.

Right now, I just want to drain the water.

Where is a safe spot to drill a drain hole?

What size should I use. Friend of mine said a 3mm drill bit is best.

Really appreciate your response to drilling as I'll go through the repair process as needed. Are there new light seals I need from Rimmers?

Thanks in advance.

Rod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts