MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I researched before I bought my car last Tuesday and did all the necessary checks. I did feel the boot and admit the carpet felt a touch damp but I thought it was condensation and just normal. Anyway, had a plastic bag in there and lifted it out and it was really wet!! Now could this liquid be anything other than rain water?

There has always been a slight sweet smell, now i guess this is mould from the carpet.
My biggest worry is that this is something other than rainwater leaking in, i mean i got the car Tuesday and it hasn`t rained, so i can only guess that this water has just soaked into the thick undersurface of the carpet?? I have lifted the carpet and can`t see anything unusual other than the carpet is very very damp.

Help....what does this mean??

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much!! So its obviously something that needs sorting but it is not a sign of anything more than a simple outdoor->inside water leak?

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
the water is most likely getting in behind the lights fittings, the seal can compress. Careful application of clear silicone should cure it. But you do need to take the carpet out to allow it to dry properly.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dunno, mums Rover 200 has always had a cold dampness to it!! Fair play, not normal but boots are not always walm and bone dry. I think my point was, i opened the boot and thought it nothing to worry about.

The boots dips down at its lowest point and it seems to be in their that the water obviously collects and the carpet is almost "wet".

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to get water in the boot at the left-hand side, and eventually traced this to the fact that the "face" of the light cluster (the coloured lenses) was coming away from the main body of the light unit. I sealed the gap with white silicone sealant (body colour is diamond white) and now all is OK !!

Jonty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts