MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

To have parts of the leather steering wheel in a colour of your choice. I can distinctly remember seeing early Zed cars about with these wheels, (mainly in Trophy Blue and yellow) but I never see them on later models.

In fact, I don't see leather steering wheels on later models at all, Trophy ZRs aside.

Not to mention a similar effect on the seats.

Were these more victims of Project Drive?

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I think that's alcantra not leather. Could be wrong. The in fact did the colour coded wheels for the F.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
I think the bolsters are the seat squab colour on the inside but the edge is black. unsure if it is leather bolsters on this particular example.
In any case I believe the leather/alcantara seats were optional on high-end ZT's/ZTTs.

In fact, I don't see leather steering wheels on later models at all, Trophy ZRs aside
if you are referring to just MG's then the 160 had leather steering wheel.
I am sure nearly all ZTs/ZTTs had them and most of the ZS's possessed them too. But they were just bog standard - no colour inserts

G

·
That ZT has Alcantara seats with leather side bolsters. The steering wheel was a Monogram option like the colouring of the inserts (which wasn't very popular). I've never seen a steering wheel with alcantara though - nice.

ZT's all came with leather wheels
ZS's just the 180 or optional
ZR's just 160 or perhaps latter Trophy models

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MGR_Petrolhead said:
if you are referring to just MG's then the 160 had leather steering wheel.
I am sure nearly all ZTs/ZTTs had them and most of the ZS's possessed them too. But they were just bog standard - no colour inserts
Sorry, it was a bit vague.

Most of these cars are ZRs and ZSes, and a lot of early models had these as standard, or it could have been that a 'base' model had not been firmly established, I don't know.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Base models were there from the start - but they didnt possess a leather steering wheel and gearshift - I am sure the + versions on the ZR didn't either, but I am unsure about the ZS.

of course the + versions got this as standard from 04 when the facelift was brought in.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I think this thread has got confused. He wanted to know if the leather colour coding was a option or not. On some cars yes on some special edition no. I know for a fact that the 04 my ZR and ZS could have alcantra without going into the Monogram program but there was no matching wheel for them as non had been made at the time.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
e668ecp said:
ZR + models did have leather wheels but the ZS+ didn't - work that one out
what on pre or post facelift editions? That is strange, but base 45's and ZS's were always under equipped, contrary to the top versions which were almost over equipped at one point if that makes sense.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It looks like a design exhibit to me. The Alcantara wheel never got off the ground. Alcantara door inserts very nearly did, a few might have been made but they bit the dust too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts