MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks

Because of my e-mails on the Guardian and BBC web sites, I have been contacted by several people who are considering buying a new MG or Rover in order to support the company or to poke the naysayers in the eye.

The one thing they all have in common is concern about warranties. Of course, I have replied to all of them encouraging them to buy a new MG or Rover, and suggesting they look into third party warranties from the AA or RAC.

Does anyone have any experience of these warranties? Are they any good?

Of course, it is in MG-Rovers interest - and in the administrators interest - to get the warranty situation sorted out as quickly as possible. Especially if there are people out there who want to buy a brand new MG and Rover whilst they still can, but are put off by the warranty situation.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
882 Posts
The administrators need to contract out the warranties to someone like Warranties Direct. I think that would solve that problem completely.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
so does this mean the warranties are worthless? i have a one yr old SW i got from a rover dealership..now do they not have to work on it by law? i need to know really because it sounds tappety and i need it looked at really

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
i would have thought the warranties are insurance backed anyway and there will be no problems.

As Major says, wait for PwC to state the facts before jumping the gun. MGR may as of yet keep running as a going concern and then nothing changes.

·
Registered
783 Posts
My dealer assures me that the warranty is insurance backed. It's likely that this is true, as EVERY car sold now has a form of warranty from the manufacturer/dealer by law...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I have just spoken to the local friendly MGR saleman and he told me the following on the warranty situation.

NEW MGRs No idea about the warranty situation until later this week. This is all three years not just the first year. There has been talk that the 2nd and 3rd years are insurance backed but this is not the case.

USED MGRs over (three years old) warranty is a dealer/insurance backed warranty and it is not effected.

While I was there he was doing his best to sell a 04 75 and the guy would have bought but held back because of the warranty question.

Ken

·
Registered
171 Posts
I called in at my MGR dealer on Friday afternoon to find out whether I will get my new 75 or not. Evidently it has been built and is with MDT awaiting delivery authorisation from PWC. The dealer told me that they had been told on Friday lunchtime not to undertake any further warranty work on existing cars for the present. MGR warranties are evidently not underwritten with insurance. Salesman insisted my new car would come with warranty. I've taken out full third party mechanical and electrical insurance via CSMA for our
20 month old ZR 160 as a precaution. At £158.00 for twelve months it seems a bargain. Interestingly my dealer is waiting for fifteen new cars, all built, to be delivered and according to the chart on their office wall they have orders placed for 20 - 30 more.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
colin d said:
I called in at my MGR dealer on Friday afternoon to find out whether I will get my new 75 or not. Evidently it has been built and is with MDT awaiting delivery authorisation from PWC. The dealer told me that they had been told on Friday lunchtime not to undertake any further warranty work on existing cars for the present. MGR warranties are evidently not underwritten with insurance. Salesman insisted my new car would come with warranty. I've taken out full third party mechanical and electrical insurance via CSMA for our
20 month old ZR 160 as a precaution. At £158.00 for twelve months it seems a bargain. Interestingly my dealer is waiting for fifteen new cars, all built, to be delivered and according to the chart on their office wall they have orders placed for 20 - 30 more.
With ref to the new cars being with MDT and awaiting authorisation from PWC to be delivered, this 100% correct and they are saying they will be released this week. As far as the warranty on new cars being delivered from MDT the salesman said he had no idea if they were going to have any warranty or not, he was saying they will find out this week.

Ken

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read a report in todays newspaper saying that warranties are manufacturer backed and look llike being worthless and owners of MGR cars under 1 year old have seen the value drop by thousands in the last week, backed up by Glass's Guide.

To recommend someone to buy an MGR car in the present situation is nothing but irresponsible.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
colin d said:
The dealer told me that they had been told on Friday lunchtime not to undertake any further warranty work on existing cars for the present.
That will have been a dealer decision, not MGR level. There has been no formal correspondance from MGR or PwC regarding warranties as of yet.

Our local dealer has done exactly the same. The message has come down from the Dealer group bosses that warranty work is on hold until they get clarification from those who know.

Speculating is only scaring people IMO and needs to stop. Wait and see.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Warranty or not

Im due to pick up my new ZS 180 next week, seeing dealer again today & will suggest:
a -repay deposit in full due to breach of Contract- major change in conditions of sale if Warranty not guaranteed.
b -Dealers Holding Co -Pendragon confirm in writing that they will honour full warrany conditions
c -Dealer purchases separate warrany for 3 years no cost to me
d -Reduction in price to enable me to purchase Warranty RAC Approx £1450.oo
Will be interesting to see reactions, as much as I want this car I am not prepared to spend more, or have no warranty

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Please be polite and sympathetic to the dealer....

You will be entitled to a full refund if the deal isn't kept, however the dealer doesn't have your deposit money, MG Rover does, or at least the administrators do.

You may be left in the situtation that the deposit can't be returned, because they don't have the money to return it. Then you have to either pay for the car, or walk away....

Deposits should always be done using VISA. They you haven't paid, the credit card company have!

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
cosb6 said:
Deposits should always be done using VISA. They you haven't paid, the credit card company have!
Phoenix dealers (at least the one nearest to me) were getting cute 12 months ago. They wouldn't take full payment for a TF on VISA CREDIT but would accept VISA DEBIT card. As I understand, there is no protection on a debit card. Anybody in the finance world who can confirm/deny?

BTW I know you did say CREDIT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I paid the full cost of the ZR on Visa so how does that effect my rights here. The car is 1 month old. Whats the next step folks...back to dealer to see if warranty still being offered or back to Visa? to see what they say?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sprinter said:
Phoenix dealers (at least the one nearest to me) were getting cute 12 months ago. They wouldn't take full payment for a TF on VISA CREDIT but would accept VISA DEBIT card. As I understand, there is no protection on a debit card. Anybody in the finance world who can confirm/deny?

BTW I know you did say CREDIT.
That's probably down to the fact that it doesn't cost them anything to accept a debit card. With a credit card they have to pay around 4% of the value as a fee to the card company.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'll repeat my post on the other warranty thread on this one.

Spoke to a dealer today (and this was the dealers Director, not a salesman) who told me that at this point the warranty is an unknown. His dealership is doing any major warranty work on all cars purchased from them. Any minor work involving hours and hours of labour to fix a rattle or sqeak is not going to be done at the moment. He expects to have an answer later in the week and advises anyone with a question about their warranty to ask their dealership and get their advice because they are the only people who will know!

·
Registered
mgf
367 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts