1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Go

I hate being pessimistic but-

Does anyone actually really (deep down) think that Longbridge is viable and sustainable place to make the TF and ZT?

People have been talking about 3 models being produced at Longbridge in a few years time (TF, ZT, RDX60)!

Come on people, Its not as if you can go into a factory and flick a switch to make cars. All the suppliers of every single component need to be contacted, workers need to be re-hired, cars advertised, dealers re-established, cars re-engineered and new models must be relised every 5 years in today's competitive car market.

Even if the TF is revived, so what? Its a few jobs (which are important) but it's no where near enough. And in some ways its a joke how we in Britain have to rely on a third world country to set up manufacturing. Nanjing I believe have good intentions; They do not want to revive Longbridge for the sake of themselves. Nanjing could easily ship what remains to China, which would be cheaper, easier and more practical but Nanjing respect the history of the MG marque. But the whole thing (for Britain) is pathetic.

95% people don't give a damn about where their car is made, and Britain is probably the most un-patriotic nation in the world. If this wasn't the case then MGR would still be here.

It costs thousands if not billions to successfully re-launch a car company and bring it up to modern standards.

Nanjing need to release new metal from Longbridge if they are to succeed. Otherwise its finished before it started. :(
________
LOS ANGELES DISPENSARIES

G

·
Of course Longbridge can make a profit. Its just a factory after all. Nanjing got PVH's designs, plant etc dirt cheap. They can also introduce new working practices and contracts something that PVH couldn't do

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
the fact is that smart havent managed well, and are virtually sliding out of existence, only the fortwo model remains now -
Smart should be the equivalent of microcar and aixam, but with a bit higher quality and greater ease of use.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Go

I believe Nanjing will build the TF at Longbridge, but its just the long term future which I worry about.

I will still support them though :)

And about smart- the truth is its such a competitive "whirlpool" out there for car manufacturers. Its a shame because I love their cars ;)
________
Mercedes-Benz 300D Specifications

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I don't think there would any demand for the TF in China, and the markets where demand is most - Europe and America - would be protected by import tariffs and so on, therefore any economic justification for moving production to China would be wiped out.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Liam Olf said:
I don't think there would any demand for the TF in China, and the markets where demand is most - Europe and America - would be protected by import tariffs and so on, therefore any economic justification for moving production to China would be wiped out.
China isn't the backwards rural third world country people make it out to be, there are areas of colossal wealth, Shanghai, Nanjing and of course, Hong Kong. Selling 50 or 100,000 units will be no problem at all, especially as the TF will be the only roadster on the Chinese market.

With regards to the British situation, Toyota have pulled out of the market with the discontinuation of the MR2 model, and were left with only Mazda and MG in the market place again, realistically, outselling the Mazda shouldn't be a problem, and good product such as the TF will do well.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
With regards to the British situation, Toyota have pulled out of the market with the discontinuation of the MR2 model, and were left with only Mazda and MG in the market place again, realistically, outselling the Mazda shouldn't be a problem, and good product such as the TF will do well.
erm strictly speaking this isn't totally true as the TF will have the folding metal roadsters to contend with too, i.e the new 207CC whenever it arrives, the Micra C+C, the colt CC, tigra etc etc. As they are cheaper they are more accessible to more people, so NAC will have to work hard with its marketing.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
erm strictly speaking this isn't totally true as the TF will have the folding metal roadsters to contend with too, i.e the new 207CC whenever it arrives, the Micra C+C, the colt CC, tigra etc etc. As they are cheaper they are more accessible to more people, so NAC will have to work hard with its marketing.
They are also not proper sportcars, being FWD and based on superminis (before you say anything, the Metro was not RWD and mid-engined) and cater for a completely different market, i.e. Hairdressers... ;)

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Nick Birse said:
China isn't the backwards rural third world country people make it out to be, there are areas of colossal wealth, Shanghai, Nanjing and of course, Hong Kong. Selling 50 or 100,000 units will be no problem at all, especially as the TF will be the only roadster on the Chinese market.
I never said they were, but it is well known that their tastes in cars contrast ours in many cases. I just don't think convertables and a cabrios' would have such demand in an industrialised and polluted (?) country...

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Nick Birse said:

I'd say the market for a convertible is bigger in UK/Europe is bigger than in China. From observation, Chinese people tend to go for a practical car, that is, given for the same price, Chinese people will choose a car with four seats than a car with two seats.
You can try and sell the TF and the ZT for the same price in China, and you will probably find ZT outsells the TF many times more. :2c:
Americans have much bigger appetites for the TF than the Chinese.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
If you bear in mind how vast China is and how populated the country is, even if a tiny percentage would want to purchase a small 2-seater roadster (i.e. the TF), it would still equate to thousands of units per year.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
Yeh theres also bigger CC's which are in the TF's price range such as the Astra Twintop.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
iburnley said:
Yeh theres also bigger CC's which are in the TF's price range such as the Astra Twintop.
The thing is with all these CC cars is that they are heavy, slow and have poor handling - exactly what the TF isn't. They are bought for the pose value as well as for open air fun but anyone who truely enjoys driving wouldn't touch one. The smaller CC models (Micra, Colt, 206/7) may have 4 seats but in reality the rear ones are next to useless, effectively making them 2 seaters anyway. The only advantage they have left over 2 seater sports cars like the TF and MX5 is the security of the hardtop but IMO it causes too many compromises. The TF is just about the only sub 20k convertible that isn't girly either.

·
Registered
other_rover
2,255 Posts
Tiago Bueso said:
I bet you have never been at Portugal:haha:
British 'patriotism' is a very nebulous thing. On the one hand we have the massive support for the England football team (and many Scots etc quietly hoping they get trashed in the World Cup by whoever they happen to be playing); we have an enormous pride in our stately homes, and many people still hark back to what Churchill described as the 'finest hour' in 1940.

On the other hand we have a country of people who don't give a toss about the source of our wealth... British industry... and not only buy foreign when British is available, but line up to decry British goods, British manufacturers and, incredible though it may seem, those who buy them. We have mass unemployment and have done so since 1981, and thanks to the mouthpieces of the Government which was then in power, we have come to believe that full employment is unachievable.

MGR and any number of other British manufacturing concerns closed because of falling demand for their products... demand which declined because people thought the goods were rubbish. Where did they get this idea? From the good old British media of course, many of whose representatives have made a fortune out of rubbishing British goods in such a 'humorous' way and who come from privileged backgrounds where they have never suffered financially or needed to get their hands dirty in order to make a living.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts