MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
ouch! Seems I came off lightly when I hit one on Wednesday.

Hit a female one in my ZR on the edge of the headlight/wing area, and didn't damage anything - although I think theres some scratches, but its so dirty I'm not sure at the moment.

·
Registered
mg_zt
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to mention this is the third pheasant I have hit on that side of the bumper (2 on the A32 and one in Devon!) in 9 months. I think next time I will take evasive action!

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Yeah, I had a close call in the ZS - thankfully he decided to try and fly off and as a result, he hit the top right of the windscreen and not the bumper. No marks or anything - although the car behind me did dissapear into a fog of feathers.

Had a close call in the SV-R with a damn pheasent as well - luckily the brakes on the SV are very good and managed to stop when it ran out infront of me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pheasants were originally introduced from Asia by the Romans. Something from Asia meets MG and both come off worse. It’s not a sign is it?

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Blimey!
Send that into all the car magazines...honestly...you stand a really good chance fo winning a few quid!

If you need a new bumper, i know someone selling one..(not me)
He aint after much at all either.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Big Blue said:
Pheasants were originally introduced from Asia by the Romans. Something from Asia meets MG and both come off worse. It’s not a sign is it?

:lol: i hope not lol!

Pheasants are really stupid, "i know ill just walk into the traffic" :lol:
That does look rather nasty and expensive, hope the bugger died for doing that to your car! ;)
We ran over one once and chopped it in half hehe

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
ZT Birdstrike

I know someone who works in designing aircraft parts who told me there is a sort of gun type machine that is used to fire chickens at leading edges to test their 'birdstrike' capabilities (I'm picturing something like you use to practice tennis serves...but with chickens, though I'm sure it's much cleverer than that) ... I wonder if MG R ever though of trying it? Never realised pheasants were that hard, would like to come across one on a motorbike (me not the pheasant!!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
MG ZR Blue said:
I know someone who works in designing aircraft parts who told me there is a sort of gun type machine that is used to fire chickens at leading edges to test their 'birdstrike' capabilities (I'm picturing something like you use to practice tennis serves...but with chickens, though I'm sure it's much cleverer than that) ... I wonder if MG R ever though of trying it? Never realised pheasants were that hard, would like to come across one on a motorbike (me not the pheasant!!)
I think you're thinking of the gun designed by the british aircraft manufacturers. It was initially designed to test the strength of aircraft cockpits in the event of hitting a bird at supersonic speed. This was recently loaned to the irish who, no matter what they did couldn't get their aircraft to withstand the chickens fired by this gun. In a panic they emailed the designers of the gun with their data asking for advice in the strengthening of their cockpits. They received a one line reply....

"Defrost the chickens...."

;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts