MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've wanted an MGF for years and haven't been able to buy one due to studying for my degree for the last 4 years. Finally I'm going to treat myself and I thought I'd put a post on here in case anyone was selling one.
I've seen a few on auto trader but to be honest most of the ones in my price range either didn't have any service history or were from dodgy dealers.

I've got up to £2300 to spend. I know thats not all that much but I have seen some nice MGF's go for that price.

Requirements

-Preferably no more than 70k on the clock.
-Service history, or atleast some to prove the miles and what work has been done. (Cambelt been done and head gasket in good condition, or recently replaced).
- Leather interior, I love the cream and the Red but not fussy about the Black or Green as long as it's in good condition.
- Car would need an MOT and some Tax.

I'm based in South East London. Can view this weekend if it's not too far away.
Email me at [email protected] with pictures please.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Hi,

I've wanted an MGF for years and haven't been able to buy one due to studying for my degree for the last 4 years. Finally I'm going to treat myself and I thought I'd put a post on here in case anyone was selling one.
I've seen a few on auto trader but to be honest most of the ones in my price range either didn't have any service history or were from dodgy dealers.

I've got up to £2300 to spend. I know thats not all that much but I have seen some nice MGF's go for that price.

Requirements

-Service history, or atleast some to prove the miles and what work has been done. (Cambelt been done and head gasket in good condition, or recently replaced).
- Leather interior, I love the cream and the Red but not fussy about the Black or Green as long as it's in good condition.
- Car would need an MOT and some Tax.

I'm based in South East London. Can view this weekend if it's not too far away.
Email me at [email protected] with pictures please.
What age are you. If you only have 2300 to spend on an MGF, then remember for insurance they can be very steep for young people (think in 4 figures ).

Best place to start is just Autotrader and the usual suspects. If anyone is selling one on here it willbe in the for sale section.

Dont hesitate to ask on here for any help before you buy, the last thing we wnat is someone buying a duff one. THere's planty of experts on here, oh and then there's me :lol:

I cant say I have perosnally seen too many Fs around at that price, except old ones, but as you also want scertain interirors etc, you may be disappointed.

However, I dont spend my days looking at MGF prices, so Imay be totally wrong, but someone else will maybe know.

Welcome ot the forum and as said above, just ask any questions here (or check the mgtf central web site)

·
Registered
mgf
2,405 Posts
You can buy 'f's for that kind of money but I don't think you'll get everything that is on your wish list! You'll be looking at 'P' Reg I guess, some on Ebay go for a steal!!, best bet on there I would guess but people will keep an eye out for you on here. Even upping your budget another £500 you'll get much more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your advice.
Actually I have a punto at the mo....funny you should say that!
I'm 22 and have been quoted £450 per year for insurance fully comp. Been driving since I was 17 so no problem with insurance.

Yeah I'll definatley come on here for advise before I buy anything.

Just looking at those links!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Welcome to .org

You can get what appear to be good examples of Fs for around that money but as was said above you will be looking at a P or R reg and with average mileage of 10000 per year a car that has done 100,000 miles. Don't let that put you off if it has been looked after and has FSH including the cambelt and alternator belt being changed when appropriate.

You wil probably have read this http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1/info/MGF_buying.htm during your research.

Best of luck and keep us posted please?

Dave

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Requirements

Don't get hung up on the mileage thing, the 'F' is one car where history is MUCH more important than whats showing on the oddmeter..

Most of the 'F's 'issue's' relate to age, not miles. a car with 80K miles showing and regular use and service can be a much better buy than one thats only done 40K, but sat on a drive most of it's life doing nothing......

Remember any Car 'Should' be serviced EVERY year regardless of miles, trouble is many F's are only used as 2nd/3rd cars hence the very low miles of used models, but this means they can go 2-3 years without every having the boot lid lifted because owners think 'The next service is not due until 'X' miles'...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info....much appreciated!

The silver one does look nice....I actually spoke to the owner this week and asked the usual questions. I might go and view it this weekend if its still available...very nice one!

Love that BRG with cream leather seats too on ebay. I would love that car!
Licolnshire is a long way to go for it tho. And would probably want to see it first.

I'm with you on the mileage thing now! Definatley need the history!

Looking forward to seeing one this weekend. Hoping that silver one doesn't go by then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.