MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been almost a year since I bought my MG ZT 180 Auto on a 52 plate.I've covered 10,000 miles in that time. 34,000 in total to date.This car has started first time, every time. It's kept me cool in summer, warm in winter and comfortable all year round - except when the road surface is laughable.The car has everything I need. Nice boot for trips away, plenty of space inside, nice 6 stack CD. It's relaxing and quiet at sedate speeds. It grabs you by your nuts at 130mph... so I'm told, officer.Why then, am I considering selling and buying another make? I really love this car and if a newer V8 was available in auto I'd be selling my son to buy it.However, today I find myself looking at a 2004 Volvo S60 T5. It does appear to be the dogs danglies with a turbo the size of Wiltshire. Will I miss my ZT if I move on? How anybody sold their ZT and regretted it? If so, what did you buy to replace it?Yours,Confused of Leicestershire.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Manor said:
It's been almost a year since I bought my MG ZT 180 Auto on a 52 plate.I've covered 10,000 miles in that time. 34,000 in total to date.This car has started first time, every time. It's kept me cool in summer, warm in winter and comfortable all year round - except when the road surface is laughable.The car has everything I need. Nice boot for trips away, plenty of space inside, nice 6 stack CD. It's relaxing and quiet at sedate speeds. It grabs you by your nuts at 130mph... so I'm told, officer.Why then, am I considering selling and buying another make? I really love this car and if a newer V8 was available in auto I'd be selling my son to buy it.However, today I find myself looking at a 2004 Volvo S60 T5. It does appear to be the dogs danglies with a turbo the size of Wiltshire. Will I miss my ZT if I move on? How anybody sold their ZT and regretted it? If so, what did you buy to replace it?Yours,Confused of Leicestershire.
Why then, am I considering selling and buying another make?

In answer to your question...............mid life crisis? :dunno: :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well, you know what they say, nothing stays WONDERFUL for ever. Go for a test...it may just be infatuation.

But I do know what you mean, sometimes I want an M5.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm in two minds what to do with mine this year. Like you say it’s the perfect car, but I’ve always had something on my mind about this car. I got mine after the day we don’t talk about so it’s got a "full" aftermarket warranty. I just don’t know why I keep looking for ways to sell it or change it, cause I do enjoy the car. Mad or what! :daft:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Un-confuse yourself, go for a long test drive in the volvo, then back to ZT, if the Volvo still holds your interest buy it. I personally find most modern cars character less and just plain boring. The Zed is neither of those things.
Other than that do you really need to spend the money?

MM

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
i cheated on my 120+ zt !!! but now matter what i did i found myself buying a 190+

after i bought the 190 i cudnt even part with the 120!

nothngi i drove can close to the zt in matter of drive and sole , the rest were nice cars dont ge me wrong they just seemed dead

trouble with the zt/75 if you can call it a problem is that they are very good cars !!! and will take a considererablly good car to be as good as them !!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I sold an 850 T5 to buy my 190 ZT-T. Haven't regretted it one bit. The T5 was great, with all the wood and leather and stuff (it was a top bollox CD Auto), but all sorts of stuff went wrong that I wouldn't have expected of a Volvo. Got rid when the steering rack was on its last legs and I'd just changed pads and discs for the third time in three years.

ZT-T is a bit more quirky, but I now know that's what I like (Alfa GTV, Lotus Elan, Mazda RX7 bare witness I think)

Don't go with the herd - you know it makes no sense!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I looked at a S60 a few months ago. The seats are lovely and comfortable, but the dash is just urgggghhh.

Also, don't forget that there is a facelifted S60 due in July.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I've just grown used to the ZT. There is nothing like that around for the money right now unless it's 5/6 years old. The V6 X-type Jag is also very appealing

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
The X-Type V6 is appealing until you drive it. I thought the same, but found the interior to be plasticky and quite small compared to the 75/ZT.

E

·
0 Posts
I miss my 51 plater ZS 120+ .... boy did we have fun in that from day... both front seat and back !

·
Registered
389 Posts
Call me stark raving bonkers but I drove my sons new Ford Focus ST last weekend - now thats a car I would like....wow it abso goes like hell!

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
IanRobertson said:
I looked at a S60 a few months ago. The seats are lovely and comfortable, but the dash is just urgggghhh.
Very suitable Ian (nods head in deep consideration). After all a Volvo is truly a v. old man's car.........................................................;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of my in-laws has the standard X-type diesel. I was shocked at how strongly it performs. I do agree about cabin space though.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The youngest of my 3 brothers bought a ZT160... I then went and got my beloved ZT-T190+, after a ZS120+... My eldest brother is now considering a ZT-T... he has had every make of car going I think, including volvos and an alfa that he sold and missed so much he bought it back within a few months. It is due to this alfas impending demise that he is looking for a new purchase. He has considered many options but the MG is coming out on top in all areas!!! I may be biased but think you should stick with what you have instead of going for a fisheyed stretched old mans motor... but thats just my opinion...

(Anyone know how to put subliminal messages in these posts to stop him leaving us????)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't often get to see my car face on. I nipped to the shops for some lunch and as I walked back towards it couldn't help it was the best looking car across a line of 8 or 9 euro boxes. An S60 or even an X-type would could not match that gleaming black beast on a sunny day. I put the window down on the 5 mile trip back home through the country lanes and let that V6 sing. Beautiful.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, all of the above has just confused me more! That initial question could have been written by me and some of the responses are the same as my thoughts ie, mid life crisis. I have a Skoda Superb 130bhp turbo diesel. It is Superb in all areas except character (and a noisy diesel). The ZT is the only modern day car that I see on the road that actually grabs my attention. I too like the look of the X-type but the ZT has something extra. I have owned 2 SD1s, both V8s, when I was in my early 20s and I bought an 800 vitesse when I was approx 30. It had 70k on it when I bought it and 170k on it when I sold it - and it was still running well. I don't really want another diesel (the Superb is my first), but the expense of petrol is stopping me from changing. Becoming sensible with age really does take the life right out of you! What do people average in mpg from a 190 and is the v8 260 just too ridiculously expensive to run? Lets be honest, if I am going to have a mid life crisis, now seems as good a time as any. I'm 42 and I would hate to miss it!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
well i got my ZT-T at the tender age of 29, all of 2 months ago..., and it is fantastic. I replaced a ZS120+ so the biggest problem was going to be mpg, but she happily gives me an average of 30, more on long journeys as usual. I could have gone for the ZS180 and found myself in exactly the same fuel situation but without the prescence and comfort that Beatrix provides. Everytime i walk towards her I can't help thinking what a fantastic looking car she is.

The way petrol is going its expensive to have any motor these days so you might as well enjoy the car whatever the mpg.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts