MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
that is an amazing plant! BUT is it really worth having all the wooden flooring, and other bits? it does look great, but for a car factory, especially a volkswagen plant which makes middle of the road cars, then to me it seems a bit pointless. if it was the bentley factory in Crewe for luxurious motors, then i can see the point!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Devonshire Dave said:
that is an amazing plant! BUT is it really worth having all the wooden flooring, and other bits? it does look great, but for a car factory, especially a volkswagen plant which makes middle of the road cars, then to me it seems a bit pointless. if it was the bentley factory in Crewe for luxurious motors, then i can see the point!
I think its comendable. Its got to be good for the workforce, and you wouldnt mind living near that like you might living next to a 1960's style block of flats and warehouses.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
It is very impressive indeed, but the wood flooring is a little surreal - typically as it is surrounded industrial activity. What is the workforce at Dresden?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by Liam Olf: That's very impressive, it's a shame they never sold any...
Sure they sold, with Audi A8L badging and a different bodyshell yes, but...

Beautiful plant though, it really does reinforce the idea of the Phaeton as a very special car, but it may also go a ways toward explaining the price of the car. VW will have a hard time adapting that factory to produce anything else once the Phaeton is dropped, unless they plan on moving Bentley.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Bob S said:
Sure they sold, with Audi A8L badging and a different bodyshell yes, but...

Beautiful plant though, it really does reinforce the idea of the Phaeton as a very special car, but it may also go a ways toward explaining the price of the car. VW will have a hard time adapting that factory to produce anything else once the Phaeton is dropped, unless they plan on moving Bentley.
Err, the factory makes the Continental Flying Spur, apparently. The Crewe factory doesn't have the capacity to meet present demand, so some models of the Flying Spur are made over in Dresden.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My uncle has one, but then he did buy it second hand after trading in the Passat. Skipped the depreciation. Very nice car though.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
You have to admit, that is a stunning facility. I loved the storage tower - almost made the cars look like Dinky toys in a display cabinet!

Could you imagine that at Longbridge? Okay, perhaps not.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
That is cool! I'd love a Phaeton more than anything if I was rich; all that technology without being showy, and 10 times as exclusive as a Bentley Continental ;)

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
V8King said:
Could you imagine that at Longbridge? Okay, perhaps not.
I don't think that kind of facility could have handled the volumes put under Longbridge TBH, and what would be the point.

It's very nice, I will admit, but why?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Liam Olf said:
I don't think that kind of facility could have handled the volumes put under Longbridge TBH, and what would be the point.

It's very nice, I will admit, but why?
Precisely because it is nice! Living near it would be a nice thing, working in it would be a nice thing, and it makes nice cars!
Nice!

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Samuel said:
Precisely because it is nice! Living near it would be a nice thing, working in it would be a nice thing, and it makes nice cars!
Nice!
I mean how many industrial facilities are set in amongst botanical gardens?:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
I mean how many industrial facilities are set in amongst botanical gardens?:)
If I bought one I would be buying the car,not shares in the factory, no wonder they cost so much.

maxi_crawf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts