MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear MG Experts,
After my MGF VVC (model year 2000) suffered a second HGF, I was on the brink of selling it but in the end couldn’t get it over my heart to do so and am now in the progress of rebuilding the cylinder head. As part of this job, I‘ve refitted the hydraulic control unit with the insanely expensive new gasket kit. What puzzles me now is the following: the solenoids on the HCU were originally positioned perfectly in line on my car, i.e. both sockets point in the same direction. In the VVC Engine Workbook it reads that they are supposed to be mounted at an angle, but there is no picture showing their position relative to the HCU. Can anyone shed some light on the correct position of the solenoids or has a head-on photo looking down the row of solenoids towards the HCU which shows their angle in relation to the HCU?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear dert, thanks for sharing those links! I already knew the first one, which is great but unfortunately doesn’t have any information on the solenoid positions. I’ve not been able to deduct any related information from the second text either, I’m afraid. Does anyone have maybe some further information or pictures from the position of the VVC solenoids in their car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe to add one more question: the main piston of the HCU contains what I presume to be a Teflon/PTFE ring, which is available as spare part. Has anyone ever replaced this o-ring? I‘m a little hesitant as I imagine it might be very brittle and I‘m afraid of breaking it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dert, you‘re a star!!! Thanks ever so much for sharing these really helpful pictures! This is exactly what I was looking for. I was using the K-Series Engine Workbook, which is rather unspecific with regards to the solenoid positioning (in one picture they are actually shown completely wrong way around). You saved me!

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
1,988 Posts
Dert, you‘re a star!!! Thanks ever so much for sharing these really helpful pictures! This is exactly what I was looking for. I was using the K-Series Engine Workbook, which is rather unspecific with regards to the solenoid positioning (in one picture they are actually shown completely wrong way around). You saved me!
Glad to help :)

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
1,988 Posts
The following link can be used to download the pdf manual the pictures are from

1 - 9 of 9 Posts