MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I have a 1997 200 Vi VVC Coupe which has been a good runner for the 3 years i've had it.

I've recently had the head gasket replaced (and metal dowels installed) and now for some reason the forward VVC unit is knocking. The mechanic doesn't know how/why, and after getting a local dealership to look at it they don't know how/why and suggested i get it replaced (£450 + 4hrs labour - not welcome news and charged me £50 for the pleasure).

I know how a VVC basically works and i don't think it's terminal, but could anyone shed any light on this and/or any advice on how to get it sorted without running up the credit cards?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's quite a soild sound (knock rather than tap), initially thought it was one of the pistons. Revs with the engine and is quite loud (sounds like a lorry now), no obvious vibration.

Engine is running perfectly fine, the only symptom is the knocking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does it knock all the time or only when the engine is being revved? My 216 used to knock under revs and the closest diagnosis I got was the big end wasn't rotating smoothly in its housing and was sticking.

Engine was changed since then so never got to the bottom of it. Maybe worth checking out, although I know its not VVC specific.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts