MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After deciding to sell my car, I have got a spare vvc head which I started to strip down a while ago and never got round to finishing it.

I have decided I hae a bit of spare time so had a go at rebuilding the head, put in the valves and springs, got to the part of putting the vvc mechs on BUT came to a problem.

This is doing my head in....when I put the cams on the vvc mechs, I try and fit them to the head but they are sitting about 2-5mm away from the block and when I am tightening them i gets really tight as it not sitting flush at all.

I dont want to put too much pressure on them as they are cast and knowing my luck will snap them.

Anyone know of a way of getting them to seat properly?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
been looking through various posts and have found a picture of how it should be

mine is not like this, it does not sit as low down, if that makes sense.

Does anyone know how to rectify this????

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
The unit will need stripping and reassembling correctly - something isn't seated fully.

This is where it gets tricky.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dr Dave said:
The unit will need stripping and reassembling correctly - something isn't seated fully.

This is where it gets tricky.....
great...how do I start with this as I have taken out all the middle parts

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok its pretty easy actually had this happen today to my self when rebuilding some bodys shody attempt at a headgasket repair

empty the vvc unit so u have 2 roller bearings 2 round discs (see pic in this post it says 2 of these) you will also have 4 cam slide blocks and 1 large race

ok now put it on a flat surface and put the large race in as shown in pic

then get 1 of the roung discs ith the roller bearing on and put it in to the vvc unit but as you see in the pic how it looks turn it up the other way so you see the smooth shiney side add the cam slide block on to the dowel you will see there 2 different hights (the dowels)

the round part of the disc (looks like a circle cut out in the sort of cross (excuse poor terminology) on the bottom disc will be oposite the top disc

next add the other cam slide block to the higher of the 2 dowels so now you are using 2 blocks

next add the other bearing and round disc as shown in pic, i personally added the last 2 cam slide blocks on 2 the cam then slid them in to the groves the blocks labeled A and B are the blocks that go on to the cam dowels you will see lookin at the cam again the dowels are different heights

and then thats it

i believe you had the bottom round dis the wrong way up an i bet you had a small gap between the head and the vvc unit that the seal wouldnt fill

the cut out in the race and the vvc unit is fot the timing

hope this helps

elmo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts