MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this form and I was just wondering what solid cams I will need to get rid of the vvc in a 160 engine. I then want to put the head onto a 1.6 bottom end with omega pistons. Thanks Philip

·
Registered
74 Posts
There are lot of options for solid cams in the VVC head - Piper do them, Newman cams do them and so on, just pick the profile you want.

Why are you fitting the head to a 1.6?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've gone for a Newman Phase 2 for mine which i think is like the Piper 270 but with more lift, am also retaining the std VVC exhaust cam.

I read on the Lotus forum 285s are great for track days etc, but a couple people said they regretted fitting them to a road car (which mine is...for now) as they're not as nice at lower rpm and don't give as good road manners.

You've got those ITBs and a 1.8 in yours as well to help out though don't you :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are lot of options for solid cams in the VVC head - Piper do them, Newman cams do them and so on, just pick the profile you want.

Why are you fitting the head to a 1.6?
Hi I'm fitting it to a 1.6 because we use the 1.8 bottom ends in race cars so there more valuable to us.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Remember theres more to it than just fitting solid cams - you'll need to pay for the VVC blanking plates, you'll also need to change the ecu/mapping to go from a vvc-solid cam map.

This adds up very quickly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remember theres more to it than just fitting solid cams - you'll need to pay for the VVC blanking plates, you'll also need to change the ecu/mapping to go from a vvc-solid cam map.

This adds up very quickly.
Yeah the more I look into it I might stay with vvc as k maps have done the same build with vvc on a 1.6 so they have a map for it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Its basically what i am doing to mine right now.

I have a 2005 1.6 Rover 45 and will be fitting a VVC head on it with a solid cam conversion.

The VVC uses a different cam sensor so i'm having the head machined to accept the MPI cam sensor, plus add a cam trigger to the Newman VVC inlet.

Then hopefully it'll run on the 1.6 ECU.

If i were you - i.e. have a car with the VVC head, VVC ecu, VVC loom, i'd just put it on the 1.6 bottom end and be done.

According to a few posts on here the 1.8 vvc ecu will run fine if you swap the bottom end to a 1.6 so no need for kmaps to be involved so will save money.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a kmaps ecu on my car to run my current 135 cams and have had some fuelling issues due to worn out parts...they weren't particularly helpful after i'd paid up TBH so wouldn't use them again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its basically what i am doing to mine right now.

I have a 2005 1.6 Rover 45 and will be fitting a VVC head on it with a solid cam conversion.

The VVC uses a different cam sensor so i'm having the head machined to accept the MPI cam sensor, plus add a cam trigger to the Newman VVC inlet.

Then hopefully it'll run on the 1.6 ECU.

If i were you - i.e. have a car with the VVC head, VVC ecu, VVC loom, i'd just put it on the 1.6 bottom end and be done.

According to a few posts on here the 1.8 vvc ecu will run fine if you swap the bottom end to a 1.6 so no need for kmaps to be involved so will save money.
The car is a 105 1.4 at the moment so ill need to swap most the bits over but I have the 1.8 ecu out of the vvc car so hoping to get away with that just don't know if it will run properly with the 1.6 bottom end

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe it will.

If i remember tomorrow i will try and find the topic on here for you...pretty sure someone (maybe "Stu") swapped a whole 1.8 VVC head/loom/ecu into a 1.6 and it ran fine and made good power...like 135hp but on mems2.

Can't see there being much difference if you are mems3.

At least it should run then you can decide if its worth getting kmaps involved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe it will.

If i remember tomorrow i will try and find the topic on here for you...pretty sure someone (maybe "Stu") swapped a whole 1.8 VVC head/loom/ecu into a 1.6 and it ran fine and made good power...like 135hp but on mems2.

Can't see there being much difference if you are mems3.

At least it should run then you can decide if its worth getting kmaps involved.
Yeah if you could find that it would be great thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts