MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a strange sound coming from my VVC at the moment, its not loud by any stretch of the imagination but its bugging me all the same.

My RH VVC mech (auxhillary belt side) is making what can best be described as a bell sound, imagine a cat with a bell around its neck, well thats the kind of sound its making. You have to get close to find where its coming from and even with the bonnet up its hard to hear it but I tend to notice noises I haven't heard before.

Is this the noise some people have said the VVC's can make or am I likely to need a new set of mechs. I will be changing the oil & filter over the weekend and pulling the rocker cover off to see if there is anything noticably out of the ordinary.

As a side note I found this week that my fan switch has failed so the rad fan hasn't been coming on (not that i've been stopped that much) so i'm wondering if i've cooked the oil slightly

Anyone?

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No mate, I had the filter out last week, plus I have seen your post over on rover-coupe.co.uk so was well aware of what you found

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on this one, I changed the 2 sensors located on the coolant elbow at the front of the engine, one is the temp sensor for the gauge and the other is for the rad fan.

First thing I notice is the car is running better, slightly more responsive when hot & the idle is rock solid at 900rpm as opposed to 1000rpm which is where its been for a while so I suspect the failed sensor was causing the engine management to get confused. Tomorrow its having a new set of plugs and a set of Magnecor leads plus the oil & filter change.

I'm still interested if anyone has any suggestions about the noise though.

Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts