MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, me again asking for engine advice. :O

Does anyone know what would happen if any of the belts in the VVC came off?

Funny question I know but last night was pulling away and heard a loud sound like I had something stuck on a tyre that was flapping on every rotation. This lasted for about three seconds and then stopped.

At first I didn't think much about it but then realised that the sound was more coming from the engine than a tyre and that it could quite easily have been the sound of a belt of some sort flapping around if it had snapped!!

Went back to look on the road but couldn't see anything. Had a look under the car but again nothing and then looked in the engine bay. Problem is, I haven't got the first clue as to where any belts are in the engine so was probably looking in the wrong place anyway.

Needless to say, I drove very carefully and slowly home and am now pooping myself.

Is it possible that one has snapped and I'm still driving about? I would have expected at least one thing to stop working if so.

I'm probably just being paranoid but the fact that I couldn't see anything on the road afterwards didn't help. :(

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,290 Posts
At the very lest the VVC mechanism would have stopped working and at the very worst the valves would have got jiggy with the pistons and you wouldn’t be going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
lol. Jiggy.

Hi Kris. If was a belt of some sort, you would not have been driving anywhere. What speed were you doing mate? Did any lights come on the dash? Hopefully it won't be bad news, but i can't think of anything that would cause a flapping kind of noise other than CV boot or something that might of come off.

Kris

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CV BOOT!!!

Hadn't thought of that.

So the general opinion is that if it was a belt of some sort, I wouldn't have been driving after?

My handling has been seriously suspect recently but the car is going in for a major service in the next week or so, so I was just going to leave it till then to investigate. I figured I just had some worn bushes or something.

I was just pulling away from some lights so must have only been doing about 15mph. Never had any dash lights come on or any other noises after the "flapping" had stopped.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If there were no lights then the alternator belt would not have come off and you were still driving so the cam belts could not have come off, so thats the really nasty stuff out the way. I would expect a CV to come off at that speed, but if it has expect to change the CV joint itself soon as they don't run for very long without them being chock full of grease!!
If i think of anything else it could be i'll let you know.

Kris

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
If it had been one of the cambelts (front or back) the engine would have stopped dead, Pistons would have come into contact with valves, the car would not start, and you would be crying at the quote from the mechanic.

Alternator belt would have put the battery light on, and the battery would eventually go flat.

CV boot is most likely explaination.

Either that or you ran over something.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
This happened to me once....it ended up being a HUGE twig (infact half a tree) stuck under my wheel arch. I just gave it a quick tug and it was sorted again.

hope you get it sorted hun.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses and ideas chaps (and chapesses of course) ;)

I took her down to my mate at ATS last night after work to put her up on the ramps and we couldn't see anything! :dunno:

Everything looked normal, all CV boots were in place (although he did notice one of them was probably on its way out.), all bushes were intact. Nothing obvious at all.

So it's a complete mystery. :)

Never mind, I'll just keep driving till something falls off, then I'll find out what it was. :lol:

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
ANother thing, take a look at the belts anyway, I had an auxiliary belt jump sideways in my old 16 valve renault. It began chafing against a bracket and it shredded a couple of mm off the side of the blet. As the belt went round the loose threads were flailing about and thwacking everything in site.

If the car isn't down on power then don't worry about the cam belts. The only options are A) skipping teeth leading misfiring (if you're very lucky) or B) complete and instant engine death. The fact you drove it home means it isn't that.

You probably got a stone caught somewhere for a second. My bosses CLK had a really noisy grating sound, thought he'd trashed the gearbox, took it to mercedes, turned out to be a stone caught between the prop shaft and a stone gaurd (oh the irony!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts