MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Have a look here - parkers list all insurance groups for the 340 range.

CLICKY

as you can see whoever told you the 1.7s were around group 5 - they're wrong - surely they were looking at the old insurance group system?

hope this helps:)

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
Have a look here - parkers list all insurance groups for the 340 range.

CLICKY

as you can see whoever told you the 1.7s were around group 5 - they're wrong - surely they were looking at the old insurance group system?

hope this helps:)
that's a good link!

When they were new, the 1.7s were Group 4 insurance (not Group 5 like the Golf 1.6 and Rover 216 IIRC) and were thus a dark horse for cheap insurance. Group 8 under the new system (doubling it) seems about right.

Lovely cars - Dutch-made Volvos with all the styling flair of Swedish design and all the reliability of Renault. And Q-car rocket performance.

Wonder how good they are today? Things like the (Renault?) indicator stalks were dodgy enough when new...

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the PM chris. Useful site that is, I shall put it in my favourites.

Insurance group 6 for a Volvo 340 1.4 3 door. Insurance group 3 for a Rover 111 SE Kensington 3 door and also group 3 for a Rover 211 SE 3 door.

Is there a big difference between group 3 and group 6?

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
Rover_King said:
Thanks for the PM chris. Useful site that is, I shall put it in my favourites.

Insurance group 6 for a Volvo 340 1.4 3 door. Insurance group 3 for a Rover 111 SE Kensington 3 door and also group 3 for a Rover 211 SE 3 door.

Is there a big difference between group 3 and group 6?
I should imagine there could be quite a difference in insurance. However, the 1.4 Volvo might count as less risky. Compared to the other cars it would seem likely that the Volvo is a much safer car - it even has reinforced doors. Should be worth shopping around. The company which is now Liverpool Victoria used to offer a good deal.

Don't forget the Volvo's spare is kept under the bonnet - make sure it's there if you look at any...

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
patpending said:
I should imagine there could be quite a difference in insurance. However, the 1.4 Volvo might count as less risky. Compared to the other cars it would seem likely that the Volvo is a much safer car - it even has reinforced doors. Should be worth shopping around. The company which is now Liverpool Victoria used to offer a good deal.

Don't forget the Volvo's spare is kept under the bonnet - make sure it's there if you look at any...
Yeah my dad had a 3 door 1.7 GL so im fairly farmiliar with them. It was quite a comfortable car really. Comfortable seats. Even if its a Renault engine it was tough enough to drive around for a year with a blown head gasket! It regulary overheat and it diddn't seem to mind!

Im not looking just yet but in the summer I may start looking as I would like a project for when I drive.

A metro/100 I would be the most farmiliar with, but what puts me off is the poor safety.

Fiesta's I am also thinking of as a 950 cc basic fiesta is insurance group 2! Im also farmiliar with these as my dad had one Also its a 1980's ford so its bound to be rusting so it would probably be a good project.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Parkers has a listing of pretty much all car insurance groups. Just click on the insurance tab and select from the drop down list in the box 'car insurance group finder' or similar, just in case you havent found the drop down menu:)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had a 340 1.7 GLE in Dark Metallic Grey which I owned for 9 and a half years; 4 years after parting with WilFH, I still miss it (or him - all Volvos are male - the logo has the male Sex symbol in it after all!), even the the car was very tired and had little life left in it by the time we parted company.

They are group 8, and are quite expensive to insure in comparison with what they are, although that is lower than a Rover 45. However, I may point out that the later 440 is in a much lower insurance group (e.g. 5 for the 1.6 basic model, which is similar to a 214 R3). Trouble is that the 440 was really a dull car in comparison, its main competitor the Rover 200/400 R8 was so much better in looks and styling.

One thing though, the 340 being a rear wheel drive car on leaf springs, they are a great car if you like the thrills of drifting, especially with the 1.7 Renault unit. I'd avoid the ugly saloon and look for a later model with power steering (although I think these were very rare).

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
It could be disputed that very strong British sales kept the model alive on the long production run into the early 1990s...

The 340 finished production in the late 80s but the 360 continued until 1991.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Ahhh.... The old 340. Had one, E reg, 1400cc, 4 speed box. Conveyed me & family between Bucks & the Outer Hebrides a few times.

Comfortable. Quite reliable too till it suffered HGF.

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
It could be disputed that very strong British sales kept the model alive on the long production run into the early 1990s...

The 340 finished production in the late 80s but the 360 continued until 1991.
I imagine that, like current MG/ R new reg, the cars remained available beyond when production was stopped. After all, the last 340s proudly said "Catalyst" - I think they were 'H' reg (91-92?)

I had thought that the 360 and the 340 1.7 - which was quite new IIRC, the range having been revamped at about 'E' reg (1.7 introduced?, rear hatch window made bigger definitely) - had been discontinued before the 340 1.4.

At the time, the 340 was marketed as a car with very high British content. IIRC this Dutch-made car had actually been designed by DAF. Its purchase price and low insurance knocked the competition (Rover, Ford, VW) into a cocked hat and it had heated seats! In those days Volvo regularly had a model in the Top 10 and it was the 340. They then abandoned their best-selling market segment (the 440 was much more expensive and even that was not replaced) and have not been back since. :(

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
H registered was March 1990 till March 1991.
according to my book 'cars built and imported in the UK' years 1971-1995, by Graham Robson says that the 340 began in 1976 and lasted until 1987 (at least in the uk) and had 1.4 and 1.7 litre engines, with the 360 with a 2.0 engine established from 1982 until 1991.

This car contains data for British markets only - but there is a 360 GLT in a dark grey colour {the 'sporty' model :lol:), next door but two to us and it is E registered. (so anytime between March 1987 and March 1988)
according to the book In total 1,086,405 of the 340 and 360 were made - a very good record indeed. however others have disputed it was up to 100,000 more than this.

the car originated with DAF yes (planned to be called the DAF 77), and the project got under way in 1970 but DAF was purchased by volvo in 1972 and its 66 model was renamed as a volvo.
Production of the 343 (in a slow variomatic transmission) started in 1976 in DAF's lower cost Dutch plants. Around 380,000 were sold in Britain (all variants) and the car was regularly seen in the top 10 sales lists in the UK.
engines:-

340 series

1397cc/4IL - made by renault.....70bhp.....initially auto only, but later 4spd and 5spd manual.
OHV
1721cc/4IL - made by renault.....80bhp....5spd manual
OHC

360 series

1986cc/4IL - 92bhp and 115bhp formats, made by volvo....5spd manual.
OHC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts