MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right Chaps,

I am going to go down the VNT turbo route and see if i can get one to work on the L series.

I know that there has been a thread about this before and i can remember that MAD and pockitbike uk looking deep into it but never going ahead with it. I do know that Pocketbike (matt) was speaking to a company who had fitted several vnt blowers to the L series engine, anybody any idea to who the company were???????

Well with the skills and resources that i have available I think that I stand a good chance of getting one to fit the L series and delivering some decent bhp and lb/ft.

All comments ideas and suggestions on the VNT turbo will be much appreciated.

Cheers

At the mo i am looking at fitting a VNT 17

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Right Chaps,

I am going to go down the VNT turbo route and see if i can get one to work on the L series.

I know that there has been a thread about this before and i can remember that MAD and pockitbike uk looking deep into it but never going ahead with it. I do know that Pocketbike (matt) was speaking to a company who had fitted several vnt blowers to the L series engine, anybody any idea to who the company were???????

Well with the skills and resources that i have available I think that I stand a good chance of getting one to fit the L series and delivering some decent bhp and lb/ft.

Cheers

Is it possible to hybrid the VNT as well? (as per matts hybrid turbo's)

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
alright dave, the guy from portugal put a gt20 vnt on his 200, think its in the turbo thread, speak to him on msn sometimes. his email is [email protected] and hes speaks good english. He manufactured all the parts himself, extra piping etc. it might be able to help u??

if u check out my turbo's thread u will find all the info u need. http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=156151

simlpy u will need to change the manifold connection as all the bigger turbos are rectangular, were as are's are triangular. The angle of inlet side to outlet side is very important, some turbos cannot be adjusted, espically with the vnt. the vnt mechanism itself needs controlled. u will porbably need a custom downpipe made, and a custom inlet pipe made to suit. alot of work for not much gain but its upto u dave. and dave before u do try a vnt i would suggest to look at the transmission first.

good luck

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
sounds like a plan.

just had a quick read on how they work
http://www.honeywell.com/sites/ts/tt/turbofactsbenifits_VNTworks.htm

cant see there being many problems developing a way of controlling it.
Reading through the info on the above link it sounds like the slidevane type which is controlled by what i can understand varying the diameter of the inlet might be easier to control and stronger than the multivane type which uses pivoting blades to make its ajustments, to many parts moving for my liking at what are very fast speeds that turbos tend to spool upto! and not very reliable when (pardon the pun!) put under pressure judging by some of the failures on golfs tdi's that i believe have the multivane type and have been chipped/mapped and modified etc up and around the 200bhp+ area which is where i think Dave would be trying to aim with this kind of modification.

Tell that makes sense??

·
Registered
551 Posts
Right Chaps,

Cheers

Hmmmm very interested in this Dave! If you could get one to fit and work without too much hassle then i'll be interested in this too.

I don't know lots about it all but i'll try and do some research and then give some input here and there( if i can ) with it.

Would you be thinking of trying to get somewhere/someone to do a VNT turbo with the right fittings to directly replace our standard turbos, or are you thinking more along the lines or modifying an already existing one from another car to make it fit? Really got me intrigued by this!

Cheers, Phil

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
im enquiring to see if i can get a vnt hybrid made up from one of our turbos ie still using stock exhaust housing but modified to work on a vnt system so it would be direct bolt on, i will hopefully have a answer by next wed if it is possible the price would be quite a bit more than the current hybrids.

the next option is buy a vnt get a manifold adaptor plate made or a new manifold , and then a down pipe would need to be made up to fit the current exhaust, and sorting the inlet side of things shouldnt be too much of a problem as i can supply tubing in all sizes and shapes now, should also be working on a fmic kit aswell for these cars if you are interested in buying a kit that has been built for the l series so its a easy fit then let me know and il talk to the boss and get on it if there is enough interest.

I can also get the manifolds and down pipes made up but to do all this would require having the car to get it done at work and the cost would be quite a bit. there are many options but going vnt route does seem like fun. will keep ya all posted on the answers i get back.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im enquiring to see if i can get a vnt hybrid made up from one of our turbos ie still using stock exhaust housing but modified to work on a vnt system so it would be direct bolt on, i will hopefully have a answer by next wed if it is possible the price would be quite a bit more than the current hybrids.

the next option is buy a vnt get a manifold adaptor plate made or a new manifold , and then a down pipe would need to be made up to fit the current exhaust, and sorting the inlet side of things shouldnt be too much of a problem as i can supply tubing in all sizes and shapes now, should also be working on a fmic kit aswell for these cars if you are interested in buying a kit that has been built for the l series so its a easy fit then let me know and il talk to the boss and get on it if there is enough interest.

I can also get the manifolds and down pipes made up but to do all this would require having the car to get it done at work and the cost would be quite a bit. there are many options but going vnt route does seem like fun. will keep ya all posted on the answers i get back.
Nice one Matt,

I think that I would prefer to try and get a pretty std VNT and get that to fit but at this moment in time i am keeping my options open, making adapter plates is not a problem for me so that keeps the options open too.

As for manifolds I am going to attempt to manufacture a 4 branch inlet manifold anyway, I have designed it already on a 3D CAD system I just need to get some prices on some stuff but at this stage I am confident that I can manufacture one.

I have been looking at the exhaust manifold too and it is a very restrictive piece of casting, improvements can be made in this area too, just not got round to taking some dimensions yet.

Keep me posted on what you find out matt please.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Nice one Matt,

I think that I would prefer to try and get a pretty std VNT and get that to fit but at this moment in time i am keeping my options open, making adapter plates is not a problem for me so that keeps the options open too.

As for manifolds I am going to attempt to manufacture a 4 branch inlet manifold anyway, I have designed it already on a 3D CAD system I just need to get some prices on some stuff but at this stage I am confident that I can manufacture one.

I have been looking at the exhaust manifold too and it is a very restrictive piece of casting, improvements can be made in this area too, just not got round to taking some dimensions yet.

Keep me posted on what you find out matt please.

Cheers.
cheapest way is a vnt 20 and makeup a adaptor plate to mount it and then make a downpipe and then use some intercooler hose to make a turbo inlet pipe and connect up the outlet to the original pipe.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
the front mount intercooler kit sounds great! epecialy as soe people dont have the equipment to make up pipes etc!
if people post a list of names on here if they want a fmic kit made up using alloy and silicone pipingand a nice fmic for the l series then when there is enough interest i will show the boss and take my car in and get a kit built up on it.

cheers matt

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
if people post a list of names on here if they want a fmic kit made up using alloy and silicone pipingand a nice fmic for the l series then when there is enough interest i will show the boss and take my car in and get a kit built up on it.

cheers matt
Matt,

when you say L series are you more accuratly meaning the R200/25/ZR like you have because i'm not to sure but having owned both, that things front side of the radiators on 400/45/ZS is quite different from the 200/25/ZR meaning that they would be two slighty different setups/kits required?

Cheers Mark

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Matt,

when you say L series are you more accuratly meaning the R200/25/ZR like you have because i'm not to sure but having owned both, that things front side of the radiators on 400/45/ZS is quite different from the 200/25/ZR meaning that they would be two slighty different setups/kits required?

Cheers Mark
yes i am meaning mainly 200/25 but i can get my hands on a 45 to make a kit if needs be so in theory i can offer to all but it would be two separate kits, i would make a kit on a 25 then adapt to fit the 45 then would know what would be needed on both cars it shouldnt be far off between the two but price should be the same for both. i also reckon i can offer this real cheap. at work we actually do the prototypes for a company called xspower if you look them up you can see the price of parts from them as they mass manufacture our kits so if there is enough interest i will makeup the kits and get them to mass manufacture.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Matt,

That sounds good mate wasn't trying to put a downer on things, anything like that which everyone has the oppurtunity benefit from gets the thumbs up from me and bearing in mind i put my FMIC setup together for my R400 at a cost of about £300 anything around that price for an actual made to measure/fit specific kit would be excellent.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Mark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts