MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hows it going. looking to build a custom race car wit a mate of mine out of a rover 100. were looking to keep a rover engine and i was wondering does any one no of a gearbox that can match up to the vitesse lumb to make it rear wheel drive? if u no anything let me no. cheers

G

·
The Vitesse T series block will mate quite happily to the 5 speed RWD box and bellhousing used in the O series engined Sherpa. This box is the same one used in the TR7/8, Rover SD1 Vitesse, numerous Morgans and TVRs and will handle the power happily.

The box is the same in all cases, but the only bellhousing that works is the O series RWD one.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't think there's enough room in the front end of a metty to put a T16 Tubby in transverse ??

Rover SD1/TR7/Sherpa 5 speed with O series bellhousing seems to be the box of choice for RWD aplications.

Would of thought you'd be looking at Mid engined for this project.

Andy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm totally making a new front sub frame and extending the wings etc, would a 1.8 vvci k series be better than the t?

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
yes, it'd drop in better, and being a track monster :D 150bhp in a car that weighs nothing. You don't need it to be rear wheel drive in a metro, it'll go round corners like its on rails!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
pablo666 said:
i'm totally making a new front sub frame and extending the wings etc, would a 1.8 vvci k series be better than the t?
not sure about that but if you want to know what a well sorted 1.8vvc metty can do on track then take a look at this video taken from a nicely tweeked Cosworth.

38MB file http://www.drivetoish.co.uk/videos/bedford_190205.wmv

RWD T16 Turbo metty would be interesting if it could be done :)

Andy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that shrepa box witht the o series bellhousing do u neeed to change the clutch or fly wheel cuz i need all the power i can get. i think the t series will be my choice plenty of them about plus 200 brake. let me no. cheers for the help so far.

G

·
I think you need the Sherpa clutch but the T series flywheel will do. Getting the Sherpa flywheel might be awise move.

Have a look at the similarly named www.mgrover.org and do a search there - M and T series engines get put into MGBs using this box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts